Message Board

Main Section
Register New Posts

Author Comment

Christy

Reply with quote  #1 
I wish Kathy could have done this..but one of us just had to. Eileen Herlie and Myrtle Fargate both received a lovely and fitting tribute today. If I could, I would award the show my own personal Emmy. Zach's relationship with Myrtle got its due - and TK's relationship with Eileen Herlie did, too in Thorsten's beautiful, heartbreaking poem.....

Highland Song

By Thorsten Kaye

Now who will lead our Carnival

And who will make us stronger

Who will mend our broken sleep

When she is here no longer

For whose part do we stand and bow

What stories do we tell

And will we memorize the day

When great and greatness fell

Say will this valley overcome

And will these shadows fade

And will we lift our eyes to see

The beauty that she made

The disappearing last of her

That leads to worlds unknown

Has left a path to softly tread

When sadness wanders home

I’ll meet thee where the highland winds

Divide wild mountain thyme

Where I will be forever yours…and you forever mine.

AMC 12-19-08

Site Meter

searose

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #2 
THANK YOU CHRISTY!!!!!!!!!!!  What a surprise!  I just started a new thread, not expecting yours.  I will cut and paste from there
p.s.  Thanks for confirming the poem came from the master himself

Anybody who forgot to set their vcr/dvr/tivo better run home and set it for the Soapnet rerun!  This one is definitely a keeper   Oh, and keep your tissue box handy, you will need it within ten seconds of the start of the show.

That being said, it was a great episode overall.  Too little Zyrtle for my taste, but then a whole week of Zyrtle would be needed to satisfy me.  I liked the gifts Myrtle left for Erica, Binks and Opal, but Zach got the most precious one, and I loved how he took it to Kendall before opening it.  I loved the Zyrtle moments that were selected for this episode, they always have been among my all time favorite scenes, especially their first meeting and Zach holding Miranda.  What a great start for the show, it's too bad that Zach was missing for almost a half hour after wards.  But Opal/Kelly/Angie/Binks/Erica flashbacks were a great trip down memory lane.  Egan has a beautiful voice, and I really enjoyed her singing.  Agnes Nixon showing up was a nice touch.  I wish Brooke and Laura and Rae had just happened to come to PV, but instead, we got Rylee.  Do they HAVE TO infect every damn thing happening in PV?  Well, one good thing came out of it, I was reminded how wise a woman Myrtle was, she knew who to shut the door on, LOL.

But the real heart breaking scene was Zach locking himself in the elevator and slumping to the floor!  I bet there wasn't a dry eye in the audience today.  TK, as always, blew it out of the ballpark.  His body language and his eyes, he conveyed Zach in so much pain and grief, and with no one to talk to now.  Zach's tribute at the end, I can bet, was written by the master himself   It belongs in everyone's permanent collection.  I wish I knew how to mp3 it  

Myrtle/EH was one of a kind, and I will miss her.  Here is to Myrtle/Zyrtle, I am sure some of you would join me...........  

Alina

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I haven't cried so much and so long in a very long, long time.   Today was an amazing episode, for an amazing woman.   Thorsten's poem was such a beautiful tribute to Eileen and I'm sure she was smiling down from heaven and feeling blessed herself to have had such a great "boyfriend" in her life, LOL.   By the time TK's voice was reciting the poem, I could barely see the screen in front of me.

RIP Eileen!

Christy, thanks for getting the clip and Thorsen's beautiful words to Eileen up so quickly. 

~No TK on AMC, No Me. Wherever he goes, I go!~

toasty2

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #4 
THANK YOU so much Christy for printing the poem.   It was an amazing tribute to a beautiful lady who I have enjoyed since probably her first day on AMC.    I was very young back then but Myrtle Fargate was a favorite of mine with her firey hair and her no nonsense approach.   I think soaps need to remember that young people actually enjoy the older characters and I hope today's show is one of AMC's highest rated shows.

I also want to thank TK for bringing Myrtle Fargate back to life to a new group of fans.   His chemistry with EH made millions of viewers once more appreciate the character of Myrtle Fargate.   Myrtle and Zach even made the list of hottest couples.   How great is that.   I'm sure he made her weak in the knees just like he does to all of us who meet him.   Her flirting with him on the show was just so damn cute and I am going to miss them together very much.

I went through a box of tissues watching todays show but I'm going back to listen to TK recite that poem again.
Ande

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Thank you Christy - I have printed this wonderful tribute poem by Thorsten and will add it to his book . I am just overwhelmed by the show and for once they , AMC did something right - am sure Thorsten made sure of that.

Ande
Selma

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
First of all, thank you so much for making the clip and putting the words of Zach/Thorsten's beautiful, heartrending poem to Myrtle/Eileen on the message board for everyone to treasure, Christy.

Today's tribute to Eileen Herlie was everything I wanted it to be and more.  When Zach sat down in the elevator crying, I cried even more and more than I had alreadyI was so happy to see that Zach's relationship with Myrtle, and TK's relationship with Eileen got it's proper due.  This show stands alone on it's merits and I, too, wish it could be nominated for an Emmy. 

Eileen you are missed already.  Rest In Peace.

Jordan, Logan, Tristan, Connor, and Olivia

SCSharon

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #7 
So happy to know that was Thorsten's poem & how perfectly fitting for him to be the one to finally get to recite a poem and to Eileen Herlie.  I thought it was extremely well done from start to finish & loved that Zach/TK led the way & obviously was central to the tribute.  It was everything it was billed & more & AMC got this one right!  I was in tears through the entire show as I knew I would be, but never moreso than during the elevator break-down scene for Zach & also during that wonderful poem.  I know Miss Herlie would've loved this & I know she is so proud of Thorsten for doing this in her honor.  Kudos Thorsten, you did a marvelous job & honored Miss Herlie in such a wonderful way.  Fabulous job!  

Thanks Christy! 

Sharon
Cindy

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thank You Christy for posting the beautiful words.  I had tears in my eyes the whole show but it wasn't until I heard that voice and those words that I cried completely.  I knew immediately they were written by Thorsten. That was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful Actress.  My heart goes out to Thorsten.  I can't imagine how hard that was for him to do.  May she rest in peace and hoped she knew how well loved she was by all her fans and friends.

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you so much for the clip and for printing TK's poem. 

I like everyone else was in tears today during the entire show, especially during the elevator scene.  It was a job well done with a proper tribute to a beautiful women.  And I agree with everyone that TK was the only one who could have and should have  the last moments of the show alone with Eileen/Myrtle.

She was a great lady who will be deeply missed.  God Bless you.

Bee

The Power of One can change the World.
luv_at_first_byte

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #10 
OK lets try this again. My keyboard keeps disappearing on me here, from the tears.

Thanks for getting this up as quickly as you did Christy and also a big thank you for the beautiful poem.

Todays episode was almost like watching the AMC of old.
What a truly awesome relationship TK must have had with Eileen. Their scenes just oozed of tenderness and passion.
I am sure Eileen was smiling down on Thorsten while he was taping this episode.
My hat is off to all the actors today that had the priviledge of working with Eileen for the many years that this soap has been on. You could easily see that there was hardly any acting been done on todays episode----save of course for the rememberance of the actual character names and such ---but---the heartfelt emotions I felt came from the actors themselves. Bravo to TK and the rest of the cast for performing such a truly wonderful and heartfelt episode in Loving Memory of Eileen Herlie.
May Eileen/Mrytle---Rest In Peace and know that she will always be fondly remembered and truly missed.

Fil

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy
I wish Kathy could have done this..but one of us just had to. Eileen Herlie and Myrtle Fargate both received a lovely and fitting tribute today. If I could, I would award the show my own personal Emmy. Zach's relationship with Myrtle got its due - and TK's relationship with Eileen Herlie did, too in Thorsten's beautiful, heartbreaking poem.....

Highland Song

By Thorsten Kaye

Now who will lead our Carnival

And who will make us stronger

Who will mend our broken sleep

When she is here no longer

For whose part do we stand and bow

What stories do we tell

And will we memorize the day

When great and greatness fell

Say will this valley overcome

And will these shadows fade

And will we lift our eyes to see

The beauty that she made

The disappearing last of her

That leads to worlds unknown

Has left a path to softly tread

When sadness wanders home

I’ll meet thee where the highland winds

Divide wild mountain thyme

Where I will be forever yours…and you forever mine.

AMC 12-19-08

Site Meter

Thank you so much for the video&TK's poem Christy.SOB! Beautiful&heatbreaking indeed.ITA with all you and everyone said.Oh my gosh when Zach left and we see him slumping down on the floor down in the elevator and then the tears rolling down his face brought me to tears.And LOVED the ending and the lovely tribute to Myrtle/Eilleen with TK's poem was perfect.So glad they gave the ending alone for Zach/TK.So heartbreaking and i am sure it didn't take much to bring TK to tears for his good friend Eileen.She sure was a great actress and will be missed.I am sure when i watch tonight on soapnet it will bring me to tears again.

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you so much Christy!!  My cable went out with the snowstorm we are having and I don't get soapnet here.

I have watched this show forever and was so disappointed to miss this episode. 
TK was just amazing - I so felt the pain and sense of loss. What a wonderful tribute to the character and actress - loved the poem.

Thanks for posting it and this clip.  Best to you and Kathy -I hope she is recovering well.

Laura

Kelly

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #13 
What a glorious rememberance of Eileen. I am so happy to see Thorsten front and center in this tribute and his beautiful poem said it all. I felt so sad to see this woman, who was the soul of this show, leave this earth. To see the memories and shows that made her such a staple of the show and how she gave others her wisdom and courage. I cried for the first time in a long time watching this show and felt Zach's pain and Thorsten's pain in the elevator scene. I felt such sadness that the show has lost so much of heart and soul and the older citizens have no storylines. I loved the old shows, the characters that were powerful and so unique. Now I can hardly bear to watch and still only watch for Thorsten. Now his "mother" is gone and that hurts so much. She will be looking over him and this show.
Thanks Christy so much for taking the time for this tribute. Love to Kathy.
southernbelle

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #14 

Thank you so much for putting up the clip.  This was one episode I truly did not want to miss from start to finish and one video I will keep.  I lost my own dear mother this year, so it was especially hard to watch, but worth every moment.  I cried like a baby.  I have to say that the writers finally got it right, I'm sure with a LOT of input from TK!!  Eileen/Myrtle was a very classy lady and she deserved such a tribute, and TK's poem at the end absolute did me in!!  Bravo, TK and AMC!!

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #15 

Thank you Christy for the poem and the clip. It was a wonderful tribute to Miss Herlie. My heart goes out to all of her friends on AMC and especially to TK and FJ. We are all forunate to have had this wonderful lady share her talents with us. She will be missed.

RFoxS

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #16 

Thank you for posting this beautiful poem and clip.  Bravo AMC and especially TK for an amazing tribute to a wonderful , amazing lady!  May Eileen Herlie rest in peace.  She will be missed!~   I doubt anyone could watch without shedding a few tears!  Zyrtle! 

Ann

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Thank you so much Christy.
I knew Zach would have me in tears but I was caught off guard by Erica.
That poem was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard and was a truly beautiful tribute to both Myrtle and Eileen.
This is definitely a keeper.

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Today?

Leaves me breathless..
Leaves me in a pool of tears....
Leaves me speechless....
Leaves me appreciating this man, and whom he holds dear..
Leaves me on a high and on a low...
Leaves me sad about this woman I've come to 'know'....
Leaves me pleased about the tribute......
Leaves me awed by his contribute....
Leaves me wishing that in small elevator, I could be by his side...
Leaves me with all these butterflies inside....

Thanks, Christy for taking time out of your busy day to do this for us. Your efforts and graciousness are absolutely cherished.

Our best to Kathy, hope she's doing well..
pah

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #19 

What a beautiful beautiful show. AMC finally got one right, and I'm sure that's because TPPB had the good sense to allow Thorsten to have a very big inpute as to how it was done. His obvious love for Eileen shone through the screen. She would have been very pleased with her send-off by her "boyfriend."
     I'd never been one to cry very much, but Zach has made a crier of me many times in the last few years. His deep sadness, his overwhelming love, and his tortured soul reach out to me so often and so easily, and I lose it on his behalf. I felt a tear or two early in the show, but when he sank down in the corner of that elevator  I heard a wail come out of me that I didn't know I had in me.( I'd congratulate him for a superb performance but I know he was not acting at all....this emotion was real. It must have been difficult for him to film.)
     Thank you, Christy, for printing Thorsten's poem. I just knew it had to be TK's own, and I was going to write it out for myself, but you've done that for me. Thanks again, and give my best to Kathy.
jam

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Hey Christy!!

I posted earlier that it was great to have you back, but I guess I missed that "post message" button again!!  LOL!!

I haven't seen the show yet or the clip, but wanted to say it is so good to see you here.  We miss you and Kathy sooooooo much!!

I'll come back later after I get to watch.

June
jam

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Thank you Christy,

It was beautiful and heartbreaking.  I had to look away while Zach was in the elevator because I felt like I was intruding on TK's grief.

It was a very well done memorial and for that I am very thankful.

Thanks again Christy and all my best to Kathy.

June
Norma

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Thank you Christy (I hope Cathy is doing well, my prayers are with her.),.
I think TK and all of the cast from AMC did a WONDERFUL job for EH.  She would be proud!!  Thanks to all for a beautiful show, the BEST EVER!!

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #23 

Thank you Christy, that was beautiful and heartbreaking. It was very well done by all, probably because it wasn't acted but came straight from the heart.  I cried with Zach in the elevator and when he opened his gift with Kendall, actually I cried all the way through, but moreso with those two scenes.  I really loved Thorsten's poem for Eileen.

Thank you Christy for taking the time to do this clip, give my love to Kathy.
Hope she is doing well and taking it easy.

I must say, it was a lovely surprise to find this clip today.

Take care,
Enis

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #24 

thanks so much for the clip Christy. That was really beautiful. The poem, the room, Zach alone with the photo of Myrtle, all of it. I hope Kathy is feeling better. Thanks again for the clip.
Cindy

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #25 

Quote:
Originally Posted by searose
Zach's tribute at the end, I can bet, was written by the master himself   It belongs in everyone's permanent collection.  I wish I knew how to mp3 it  

Here is a MP3 of the poem for you guys to download.  I also included the end part of Myrtle

Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?dm4mqwt4zrg

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #26 

Thank you Cindy.  I think this may be my new favorite poem and it takes a lot to knock "Miles From Home" out of my top spot.

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I recently lost my mother who was a big All My Children fan  we would talk about it all the time.  We even discussed how they we going to deal with the passing of Myrtle on the show.  Today I say a wonderful tribute to her  Zach's farewell was beautiful  I cried after hearing his personal poem to Myrtle  After searching all day I was finally able to find the exact words which are perfect for my mother  Thank you Thorsten for these lovely words that I felt like you were saying these things to my mom

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Hi everyone.  I am a new member who has visited several times before, but joined today so I could comment on TK's beautiful poem to honor Myrtle (Eileen Herlie). 

Not only was it beautiful, eloquent, evocative and heartbreaking, it was bittersweet.  It reminded me of my other favorite but now departed soap, Another World.  Charles Keating's character, Carl Hutchins, was always reciting beautiful timeless, classic poems & TK's moment brought that all back to me, even though AW has been off the air almost 10 years.  It also reminded me of the funeral scene from "Four Weddings & A Funeral" when "Funeral Blues" by W.H. Auden was recited so beautifully during the eulogy. 

But lastly, and most sadly, it reminded me of my beloved grandmother, Idie, who passed away 7 years ago.  This time of year makes me ache more for her than usual, and TK's poem just broke my heart.  It made me cry like I did when I first found out she had died.  She was the leader of my family which is often mistaken for a carnival.  She made us stronger with her grace and strength.  And grace and greatness fell the day Idie left me.  The imagery of "...worlds unknown..." and "...a path to softly tread when sadness wanders home..." was so beautiful it hurt.  My cousins wrote great eulogies for her, but I wish I could have recited this at her funeral.  My sleep has been broken since she left me. 

Thank you, Thorsten, for giving me the words to finally express what happened to my heart and my world when my Grandmother died.  And thank you for sharing such beautiful words, feelings and imagery. 

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann

Thank you Cindy.  I think this may be my new favorite poem and it takes a lot to knock "Miles From Home" out of my top spot.

Yw Ann.  It is now on my Ipod!  So I can listen to it.

Michele23a I know of Charles Keating.  I loved AW.  It has been said many times on this board it would be great for AMC to bring him on as Zach's relative.  Most fitting don't you think?

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I read somewhere that after every one of their scenes together Thorsten walked Ms. Herlie back to her dressing room (most times she had production assistants to do this).

You can tell the difference (even in fine actors) between screen tears and real tears, in the elevator those were real tears and I'm going to assume from the red eyes, not the first Thorsten shed the day they taped this tribute.

This episode of AMC is truly a gift to fans of the show but particularly to fans of Zyrtle.

Thank you Christy for the clip and printing the poem.  I hope it was read at her funeral.  As Kelly said "She will be so missed".
Jan

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #31 
First off Christy I want to thank you for making this clip it is a wonderful gift.

I feel completely wrung out after seeing it.  I can only image how difficult this must have been for TK.  I do not easily shed tears but that was not the case today.  Crying like a baby, yup, that was me.  Glad no  one was watching. 

The elevator scene was intense.  And the look on Zach/TK's face  when he finally returned was haunting. 

I am amazed they seem to have gotten this one right.  It was so very fitting for Zach to be alone with Myrtle for the poem.  And a beautiful heartfelt poem it was.

Bravo TK and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann

Yw Ann.  It is now on my Ipod!  So I can listen to it.

Michele23a I know of Charles Keating.  I loved AW.  It has been said many times on this board it would be great for AMC to bring him on as Zach's relative.  Most fitting don't you think?

Cindy I would Love to see Keating come on as a relative of Zach's (maybe Amelia's brother).   We would certainly be treated to some great scenes.  Why doesn't AMC get a clue instead of bringing on all these newbies who can't act.
SCSharon

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #33 

Gotta share this- I got an MP3 last Christmas from my kids & old fogey that I am, I never figured out how to use it or download & today, with my awesome hub's help, I did it & downloaded not only TK's wonderful "Highland Song", but also found Eileen Herlie's amazing, "Once Upon a Time" from her Broadway play, "All American" & managed to figure out how to download that, too!  I never knew EH could sing & especially so beautifully- she has what sounds like a very gifted & highly trained operatic voice & the song was never more beautiful, so now I'm all set!  Wonders never cease & you can teach an old dog new tricks!  Had to share with my TK buds.  And thanks Cindy for the MP3 download link to TK's poem!

Sharon
searose

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by searose
Zach's tribute at the end, I can bet, was written by the master himself   It belongs in everyone's permanent collection.  I wish I knew how to mp3 it  

Here is a MP3 of the poem for you guys to download.  I also included the end part of Myrtle

Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?dm4mqwt4zrg

Thank you so much Cindy!  This is awesomely sweet of you, I really appreciate you having provided this link.  I have downloaded and saved this in my collection

Thanks Ann, for the alert, and thanks also to Zendallisperfection for your offer!  You ladies are all too kind!

flamom05

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Thank you so much Christy for the clip, and Cindy for the MP3, and a special thank you to Thorsten for that beautiful poem, that I knew he had written as soon as I heard the first word. Today's show brought back some wonderful memories of the AMC I used to love, and I only wish that the PTB would take a clue from that and write every episode as they did yesterday's. I had to take out the tissues from the first scene, and even reading the posts in this thread makes me teary-eyed all over again. Even my Lexy, who unfortunately didn't have the privilege of knowing Eileen/Myrtle for very long, said that she couldn't help but cry when she saw yesterday's show. She said "I could see how much she meant to TK and I'm so sad for him to have lost his best friend" and she also said "that poem he wrote just shows even more why he's the bestest person ever." LOL She lurves her TK. I love him too!

AMC gets an A+ for yesterday -- a great tribute to a great woman! Erica said it best -- she was the heart of AMC.

RIP Eileen. AMC will not be the same without her.

Thanks Fil!
flamom05

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Lexy just put Cindy's MP3 of TK's poem on my Ipod and hers. Thanks again Cin, you're the best!!!

Thanks Fil!
Tabbylover

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #37 
i thought the elevator scen was perfect,,  but at the end when we heard that peom, there are no words
finally tk got to shine and  and he gave it his best

APRIL 24 84- SEPT.1 006
YOU WILL BE FOREVER MISSED IN MY HEART.

The stars spell out your name
You ever faded with the sunset
Smiled with the sun
The love you brought us through our lives
We will miss you
More than you'll ever know
These days without you,
left me en emty soul

flamom05

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbylover
i thought the elevator scen was perfect,,  but at the end when we heard that peom, there are no words
finally tk got to shine and  and he gave it his best

He did! That's what I love most about TK, that he says sooooo much without saying a word. When I watched that elevator scene I was already crying but then -- my poor Zach/TK. I felt his pain - no words needed. No words are ever needed from The Mahn - he doesn't need to whisper-spit or finger-point or anything else. What can I say, I LOVE MY TK!!!! (P.S. If Lexy sees this post, she'll say "he's MY TK" LOL, but we won't tell her, right?)

Thanks Fil!
Roseann

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #39 

Thanks Christy for taking the time to do this...What a great show yesterday...

toasty2

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #40 
I read somewhere once that you can tell how powerful an actor is if you turn off the sound on your TV and you can feel the actor without hearing him say a word.   Well that's our TK.   If you've ever watched him without sound (I have) you still feel the emotion come off the screen.   That's one of the reasons he doesn't need to utter a single word (although I love hearing that voice) to make you FEEL the scene.

Sandi your Lexy has good taste in men.
searose

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #41 
It is nice to read in print something that we all already know.  The following from Soapnet.com:

"All My Children": Past Week's Greatest Hits

Thorsten Kaye and Susan Lucci as Zach Slater and Erica Kane on the soap opera All My Children
Photo: ABC
Zach made our list this week.
Performer of the Week: Thorsten Kaye (Zach). Hands down. His performance in Friday's episode, which was dedicated to Myrtle's memorial, was heartbreaking. Although we're guessing he wasn't really performing; we know that Thorsten and Eileen were very close in real life. Still, he broke our hearts.

Best Moment: Zach's speech to Myrtle at the end of Friday's episode. Yes, this is quickly becoming the all-Myrtle edition, but it sent us over the edge.

DonnaK

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Sadly brillant, brillantly sad. Friday's show, especially the Thorsten portion was perfect. I'm so glad AMC did this wonderful tribute for Eileen/Myrtle. The poem was more than perfect. Thank you TK for that and for sharing your heart with us. Eileen will be sorely missed.
Donna

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #43 
It's Monday morning and I was away camping this weekend.  I watch AMC live while packing.  TK's portrayal of grief and sorrow was like watching myself this last year.  I lost my mom a year and half ago and I can't seem to move on.  I miss her so much.  Having TK's poem and his amazing ability to give life to each emotion overwhelms me. 

Thank you Christy for the post.  And Cindy, when I get home, first thing I will do is update my ipod with his beautiful voice.

The last thing I did last night was watch the final scene again.  I suspect I will do this many times.

amcgirl

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #44 
I discovered TK due to his scenes with Myrtle.   Thanks Eileen! 

I just wanted to hold Zach.   The poor man has no one.

A day without Zach Slater is like a day without sunshine.
AnneM

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 

A little late to this thread, but that's what a week without power does to you!  I've finally caught up on all of last week's shows, and what a way to end the week...a classy tribute to a classy lady.  TK's fingerprints were all over this episode, rightly so.  Myrtle's "gifts" to everyone were so appropriate.  I loved that Zach got that "brass ring" that gave him something to hold onto, and to hope for.  Zach slumped down, all alone in the elevator nearly killed me, and I agree, he wasn't acting at all in this show.  His grief was pure.  TK's poem was absolutely beautiful, and I'm so pleased that AMC had the good sense to let him recite it.  Kudos all around...well done, AMC.  And, Thorsten...bravo!  Eileen is surely pleased.

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Thank you, Christy, for making this clip. I don't know how you did it... I have been a sobbing mess every time I watch it.

I won't go on about what a wonderful tribute this was -- and how TK's fingerprints are all over the best parts of it -- because it has already been said. Let me just say that I was tremendously moved, and that while TK's characters have moved me to tears on more than one occasion that it has never been so poignant as the moments in the elevator or when he was so alone after everyone left the casino.

Thanks, too, Christy for giving us the words to that beautiful poem. TK's talent never ceases to move me, and his affection for Eileen -- just like Zach's for Myrtle -- shines through his words and his performance.

Kathy Brand for Headwriter of AMC NOW, before it's too late!

© 2009 -- DO NOT COPY THIS POST ONTO ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD
susannyc

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #47 

I can only echo the sentiments of those who have posted before me -- thank you for posting Thorsten's beautiful poem and the video links to the extra special scenes that aired on December 19.

Thorsten's acting is always superb, but on this particular day, I believe that while some of the words were "Zach's," the feelings and tears were those of Eileen Herlie's dear friend, Thorsten himself.  "AMC" has not always been on top of things in recent years -- not-so-great storylines, characters who never held our interest -- but they got it so very right when they continued to write scenes for this great actress and the strength behind the show.  In an age when all too often those of a 'certain age' are cast aside, ignored, treated with little or no respect, Eileen Herlie stood out and those that admired her from afar, as most of us do, as well as those who knew her for years and years, are all the richer for her being on the screen for so long. 

The scenes between "Zach" and "Myrtle" were always magical.  From their first scene together to their last, I'm sure Thorsten felt it was always magic time.  How lucky he is to have had her in his life.  With age comes wisdom, and no doubt after so many years as "Myrtle" she injected much of that wisdom into her character.  Were they one in the same?  No.  But something tells me there was a bit of the 'carnie girl' in Eileen and vice versa.  Maybe one day Thorsten will be kind enough to share some of that wisdom with us in the memories that now serve him so well.

"AMC" did a wonderful tribute; Agnes Nixon said so much without having to say a single word in her farewell; and how fitting to have Francesca James there, for all of us who are longtime viewers recall how many fiery and memorable scenes she and "Myrtle" shared together.  While we could have done well without some of the appearances during the tribute, overall, a job well done.  The song, "Once Upon a Time" was a perfect choice -- not only do the lyrics fit so well to this fine lady, it was a bow to her time in the theater.  A nice touch, indeed. 

A beautiful tribute made even more personal with Thorsten's reading of his poem.  I can imagine Miss Herlie, upon meeting Mr. Kaye, thinking to herself or saying out loud, 'If I were fifty years younger .....'  No matter, the pairing of these two actors was quite simply, once upon a time ...

Rest well, Miss Herlie.  We'll remember you and your gorgeous talent, always.

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannyc

I can only echo the sentiments of those who have posted before me -- thank you for posting Thorsten's beautiful poem and the video links to the extra special scenes that aired on December 19.

Thorsten's acting is always superb, but on this particular day, I believe that while some of the words were "Zach's," the feelings and tears were those of Eileen Herlie's dear friend, Thorsten himself.  "AMC" has not always been on top of things in recent years -- not-so-great storylines, characters who never held our interest -- but they got it so very right when they continued to write scenes for this great actress and the strength behind the show.  In an age when all too often those of a 'certain age' are cast aside, ignored, treated with little or no respect, Eileen Herlie stood out and those that admired her from afar, as most of us do, as well as those who knew her for years and years, are all the richer for her being on the screen for so long. 

The scenes between "Zach" and "Myrtle" were always magical.  From their first scene together to their last, I'm sure Thorsten felt it was always magic time.  How lucky he is to have had her in his life.  With age comes wisdom, and no doubt after so many years as "Myrtle" she injected much of that wisdom into her character.  Were they one in the same?  No.  But something tells me there was a bit of the 'carnie girl' in Eileen and vice versa.  Maybe one day Thorsten will be kind enough to share some of that wisdom with us in the memories that now serve him so well.

"AMC" did a wonderful tribute; Agnes Nixon said so much without having to say a single word in her farewell; and how fitting to have Francesca James there, for all of us who are longtime viewers recall how many fiery and memorable scenes she and "Myrtle" shared together.  While we could have done well without some of the appearances during the tribute, overall, a job well done.  The song, "Once Upon a Time" was a perfect choice -- not only do the lyrics fit so well to this fine lady, it was a bow to her time in the theater.  A nice touch, indeed. 

A beautiful tribute made even more personal with Thorsten's reading of his poem.  I can imagine Miss Herlie, upon meeting Mr. Kaye, thinking to herself or saying out loud, 'If I were fifty years younger .....'  No matter, the pairing of these two actors was quite simply, once upon a time ...

Rest well, Miss Herlie.  We'll remember you and your gorgeous talent, always.

LOL Susan. Eileen did say "If I were 20 years younger" about our beloved TK hahahahaha Gotta love her! And him! I'm sure he will miss her as much as we will, probably more so since they were so close IRL. I also loved the Francesca James appearance and Agnes Nixon's. The tribute show was really well done IMO and I have said it in another thread, but it bears repeating, I'm sure The Mahn had a big hand in making it such a big success, because I can't imagine that the same person that wrote that show, writes the drivel and dreck we see day-to-day. TK for headwriter! LOLOL

Thanks Fil!
Rhaya

Registered Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Wow..that was soo sweet. I haven't watched AMC in about 14 years but I remember Myrtle as the voice of reason to half of PV, I use to love her back then and I was still a kid lol. So that just goes to show that young people can enjoy the older characters, much to tptbs disbelief! The poem was really sweet and it's a joy to hear Thorsten reciting again since I haven't heard his voice since his days as Patrick Thornhart. Thanks so much for sharing, it's great for those of us who don't watch the show anymore. Love the look back on their friendship, it seems to have been a very unique one they shared on screen. Sorry I missed it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: