Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #1 

This whole Chandler smackdown has been nothing but a huge and disappointing bait and switch. IMO, it's not really about Zach at all. If it were, there would have been a genuine buildup to it, where we learned more about Zach's motivations for moving in for the kill that isn't really a kill. We would have had more then two measly scenes (on the same day) of Zach very briefly discussing his reasons (i.e. what JR did to Kendall and Spike over a year ago) with Kendall that shed zero light upon the character of Zach himself.

If this storyline were really about Zach, we would have had at least one Zach and Adam scene before the takedown, where Zach and Adam had it out about JR, and Adam's enabling his son to escape any consequences in his attempted murder attempt on Zach's wife and stepson. We would have had at least one scene where Zach also acknowledged (because I believe he does) the terrible bind Adam was in as the father of a murderous son, because Zach had a JR of his own. We would have had more than one Zach-Adam scene after the smackdown than the card game.

If this storyline were really about Zach, we wouldn't have just seen Zach show up briefly today, make a few pithy comments, and play second banana to two seldom seen characters, as nice and unexpected as it was to see Opal and Marion. We would have had at least one scene where Zach enlisted Opal (as the best friend of Spike's grandmother), and Marion and Stuart (as Adam and Joonyer's family) in his plan to make Adam and Joonyer come to terms with their actions toward Kendall and Spike, and with each other (because I do believe Zach has more than one motivation here). And we would have had in these scenes dialogue that illuminated Zach for us and established a relationship between him and these other characters.

If this storyline were ever really about Zach as a character with his own issues to be explored and given equal time to, rather than simply making use of him as a deus ex machina to ignite conflict between and then reunite the Chandlers, we would have seen and heard Zach discuss with all the people closest to him -- maybe even some not that close but who can relate to father/son issues, such as Tad and Ryan -- how his relationships with his own father, with Ethan, with Spike, and the one he hopes to have with his unborn child, all inform and motivate him re the Chandlers. We would get a hell of a lot more than Zach and Kendall doing an HGTV show at Chandler mansion.

If this storyline were really about Zach, it would be so much more enlightening about Zach, and I wouldn't be forced to supply my own back story for it. As usual when it comes to a promised Zach storyline, it turns out to be about somebody else, not Zach.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you Kathy for this great post!  ITA & I've been thinking the same thing for a few days now.  Zach is doing nothing more than propping JR/Adam in THEIR story & it's nothing more than what Kendall is doing on her side of the
bldg propping the Greenlee/Annie/Ryan storyline.  You did a great job putting into words exactly what I've concluded.  I'm still waiting for the real Zach story.  We haven't gotten it yet. 

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Ladies Ladies you say so well what I think - thank you again!!

Ande
Mary

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy

This whole Chandler smackdown has been nothing but a huge and disappointing bait and switch. IMO, it's not really about Zach at all. If it were, there would have been a genuine buildup to it, where we learned more about Zach's motivations for moving in for the kill that isn't really a kill. We would have had more then two measly scenes (on the same day) of Zach very briefly discussing his reasons (i.e. what JR did to Kendall and Spike over a year ago) with Kendall that shed zero light upon the character of Zach himself.

If this storyline were really about Zach, we would have had at least one Zach and Adam scene before the takedown, where Zach and Adam had it out about JR, and Adam's enabling his son to escape any consequences in his attempted murder attempt on Zach's wife and stepson. We would have had at least one scene where Zach also acknowledged (because I believe he does) the terrible bind Adam was in as the father of a murderous son, because Zach had a JR of his own. We would have had more than one Zach-Adam scene after the smackdown than the card game.

If this storyline were really about Zach, we wouldn't have just seen Zach show up briefly today, make a few pithy comments, and play second banana to two seldom seen characters, as nice and unexpected as it was to see Opal and Marion. We would have had at least one scene where Zach enlisted Opal (as the best friend of Spike's grandmother), and Marion and Stuart (as Adam and Joonyer's family) in his plan to make Adam and Joonyer come to terms with their actions toward Kendall and Spike, and with each other (because I do believe Zach has more than one motivation here). And we would have had in these scenes dialogue that illuminated Zach for us and established a relationship between him and these other characters.

If this storyline were ever really about Zach as a character with his own issues to be explored and given equal time to, rather than simply making use of him as a deus ex machina to ignite conflict between and then reunite the Chandlers, we would have seen and heard Zach discuss with all the people closest to him -- maybe even some not that close but who can relate to father/son issues, such as Tad and Ryan -- how his relationships with his own father, with Ethan, with Spike, and the one he hopes to have with his unborn child, all inform and motivate him re the Chandlers. We would get a hell of a lot more than Zach and Kendall doing an HGTV show at Chandler mansion.

If this storyline were really about Zach, it would be so much more enlightening about Zach, and I wouldn't be forced to supply my own back story for it. As usual when it comes to a promised Zach storyline, it turns out to be about somebody else, not Zach.

GREAT post Kathy.  ITA with all you said. I can never say it enough,i sure wish you were writing for AMC,your one AWESOME writer.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

What an AWESOME post, Kathy!!  As usual, you are right on the money with everything you had to say!!!  Why don't TIIC "get" it before it's too late?!?

Jordan, Logan, Tristan, Connor, and Olivia

Enis

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Thank you Kathy, great post, you said what we all wanted to say, but you said it better (speaking for myself of course), I cant even put a sentence together at the moment, had the grandkids for the week while Rick and Veronica went to Vegas in the heat wave, we are absolutely done in!!!!!!

Take care,
Enis

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy

I can't help but wonder how different this would have been if we'd had the spoiled but not delivered scenes of Zach explaining his motivations to Myrtle. Instead of having to watch Zach's minimal screentime and infer his intentions and motivations, we could have heard about it in his own words.

Unfortunately, Zach's only confidante has been Myrtle since Maria's departure in 2005. He has not developed a friendship or relathionship with anyone in which he is able to unburden himself, and is unlikely to do that to Kendall as he is extremely protective of her. He is already concerned about her health and her stress levels, and would not consider adding to those levels by confiding his own issues as this time.

Which leaves no one for Zach to talk to except Myrtle, and if she is not available then we are missing an important perspective in every Zach storyline. For whatever reason, the promised Zach/Myrtle scenes were not provided... so why couldn't they have provided an alternative? A living, breathing confidante is not readily available, but a recently deceased confidante could serve the purpose.

It seems to me that time could have been pared from Ava's modeling session, the Annie/Greenlee catfight and Jack/Erica's adolescent tryst to carve out some time for Zach to visit his friend Dixie's grave. As Joonyer's mother and the woman he promised that he wouldn't harm him, it could be a fitting locale for Zach to bare his soul. As a secretive, private man I accept that he is unlikely to seek out a living substitute for Myrtle -- but the audience deserves to see the entirety of the story, especially the layers of motivation that Zach has to have about this situation instead of using him as the instigator of the comic relief. 

Kathy Brand for Headwriter of AMC NOW, before it's too late!

© 2009 -- DO NOT COPY THIS POST ONTO ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD
susa

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
While I agree with all of you and wish we could see some of Zach's motivation for the Chandler takeover, I never thought this was going to be Zach's story. As much as I would like him to be front and center in everything, the set up for this story has been all about the Adam/JR father/son relationship. This is a way to give JR a major storyline w/o Babe in it.
I think the Zach story they are setting up is all about the baby. My guess is it will end up being about the changing nature of Zach and Ryan's relationship and their, continued or not, co-existence as Spike's fathers.
Cheri

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I'm afraid I have to disagree... I really don't expect Zach to be front and center in everything, but I also don't expect him to be reduced to a supporting character. He has not had any storyline since the Satin Slayer story concluded in early March, and relegating him to minor player is unacceptable.

Coming story is not good enough... I want what the show and the network promised me at the beginning of THIS story, taking into consideration how this story has been promoted. Four different articles have been published from interviews that TK gave about this storyline, it has been the subject of a feature in Soap Opera Digest and garnered TK the first cover that AMC has gotten since the Tad and Dixie one over a year ago. The major player in this story, as promoted in commercials, spoilers and articles/interviews, was supposed to be Zach. The cover featured TK alone, accompanied by smaller pictures of DC and JY. If this was never to be about Zach, then they shouldn't have worked so hard to draw the viewers in by enticing us with a promised story about their leading man and most popular character... and I will continue to complain long and loud at any time that TIIC use our devotion to Zach to reel us in and then not deliver as promised.

susa

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I apologize Cheri, I didn't me to imply that you want him front and center in every story. I want him front and center because he is the only reason I watch the show. I haven't seen all the articles - I am sure you are right. Again, I apologize.
Cheri

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 

No problem, susa... TK is pretty much the only thing AMC has going for it right now, and it seems like everyone knows this except the people who can do something about it.

Diva

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 

Cheri, I so agree with you that the printed media has misrepresented the Zach/Adam s/l as being primarily about Zach.  They used TK/Zach to entice the viewers to tune in and made it all about the dysfunctional father/son relationship of Adam and JR. I feel cheated. I also feel that it is a terrible waste of TK's tremendous talent to have Zach relegated to a supporting role in this anticipated s/l and to use him, as Kathy pointed out, for comic relief as we saw in Friday's show.

There is so much more depth and substance to what Zach's motivations are behind the Chandler take-over. As you correctly point out Cheri, Zach needs a confidant to share his inner most feelings and thoughts and Kendall in her present situation could not be the person he could turn to, as he did during his father's reign of terror.  He is way too protective of her, especially now with all the angst and stress that Greenlee's return is causing. Myrtle has always been the perfect friend and confidant for Zach to reveal his inner most thoughts and feelings. Why she is not around, as was promised by previews, only time will tell. 

Your suggestion Cheri, that he go to Dixie's grave is one possibility. Though I never was a big fan of Dixie's character, in Zach's mind she was a friend and would possibly be someone to whom he could convey his inner most feelings.  However, since it does involve JR, Dixie's son, and if Zach's motivation is in part driven by his desire to seek revenge for what JR did to Kendall and Spike, Dixie may not be the person that he would want to share it with.

I do remember the scene with Zoe at Ethan's grave, where they both were able to comfort each other and share guilt and identity issues.  It is a shame that Zoe is not around.  She could be a confidant Zach could turn to.

There is one quote from Friday's show that in part may reveal some of Zach's motivation.  Just before he leaves he says, "Father and son reunited. My work here is done."

Cheri

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks, Diva... I hate to see so many wasted opportunities on this show.

However, the Zach and Zoe scene actually took place at Dixie's grave and not Ethan's. Zach was visiting there to see Dixie and Zoe was visiting a still believed dead Babe... it was the scene that gave me the idea for Zach to visit Dixie now. At that time he was apologizing to her for what his father did, and it seems so character driven for Zach to now visit Dixie's grave to explain his actions to her. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that these interim writers, tainted as they are from four years of lazy, Hack-driven agendas, are going to recognize a character-driven action if it bites them in the ass.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.