Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
Mackenzie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What book are you reading at the moment, or if you're not reading anything what was the last book you read, and are you enjoying it? 

I have a hard time focusing on one thing at a time so I'm reading several books at the moment:

A House Unlocked by Penelope Lively - There have been some good parts to this book but overall I've found it a little slow.

Arranged Marriage by Chitra Divakaruni - I really like this authors writing style.  Some of the short stories in this collection have been quite good, but I'm towards the end of the book and some of the later stories are not holding my interest.

The Best Day the Worst Day by Donald Hall - I'm really enjoying this book.  The subject matter is kind of dark (Hall writes about the year his wife is dying of leukemia) but I think it's well written. 

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
The last book I read was The Measure Of A Man by Sydney Poitier.  It truly speaks of how he became what he is.  Although I really liked the content and enjoyed reading about his experiences, I was a bit disappointed in the writing style.  Many times, it was as if the time-line was scrambling between various points.  Seems poorly edited too, as you see incidents, or even paragraphs repeated.  Still, I think it was worth my time to read it.

I just started reading Climbing The Mango Trees by Madhur Jaffrey.  I have many of her cookbooks, and love her writing (not just recipes, LOL), she incorporates childhood experiences, culture and history, you feel as if the sights and smells of faraway places are encased in those pages.  This particular book is a memoir of her childhood in India.  First 12 pages, and I am hooked.  I don't think I will be able to finish it as quickly as I would like to, since I will be traveling for a couple of weeks and then busy catching up with work.

Jan

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie

The Best Day the Worst Day by Donald Hall - I'm really enjoying this book.  The subject matter is kind of dark (Hall writes about the year his wife is dying of leukemia) but I think it's well written. 

Not reading this but thought I'd mention that my parents lived near the Hall's in New Hampshire and were friends and attended the same tiny church.  They knew both Jane and Donald very well and it was a difficult time.

Donald & Jane lived in a lovely farmhouse that I believe was in Donald's family for many many years.  He wrote a children's book 'The Ox Cart Man' based on farm life in earlier generations.  My daughter has an autographed copy. 

They were a sweet couple and his devotion to her was evident to even a casual observer.  She suffered from severe depression most of her life but they were both wonderful, spiritual people. 

She wrote several books of poetry which are quite good; my favorite is Otherwise by Jane Kenyon.   My favorite was a poem I found to be quite light (for Jane).  It's is a poem I think of often when admiring the color of one of Zach's shirts.

The Shirt

The shirt touches his neck

and smooths over his back.

It slides down his sides.

It even goes down below his belt-

down into his pants.

Lucky shirt

Donald was the Poet Laurette of New Hampshire and is now the Poet Laurette to the United States.  He travels a great deal and has found a new love.

Sorry for my ramble but I was surprised to see his name mentioned.  It might be interesting to read some of her poems with his words to gather a more complete picture.

Jan

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the info Jan.  I really liked the book, but it's been so hard to read about someone, who is so in love with his wife, having to watch her die like that.  There have been many moments throughout this book when I've started crying because the grief just jumps right off the page. 

I'm glad to hear that Donald has found someone.  I hope he's doing well. 

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie

The Best Day the Worst Day by Donald Hall - I'm really enjoying this book. The subject matter is kind of dark (Hall writes about the year his wife is dying of leukemia) but I think it's well written.

Not reading this but thought I'd mention that my parents lived near the Hall's in New Hampshire and were friends and attended the same tiny church. They knew both Jane and Donald very well and it was a difficult time.

Donald & Jane lived in a lovely farmhouse that I believe was in Donald's family for many many years. He wrote a children's book 'The Ox Cart Man' based on farm life in earlier generations. My daughter has an autographed copy.

They were a sweet couple and his devotion to her was evident to even a casual observer. She suffered from severe depression most of her life but they were both wonderful, spiritual people.

She wrote several books of poetry which are quite good; my favorite is Otherwise by Jane Kenyon. My favorite was a poem I found to be quite light (for Jane). It's is a poem I think of often when admiring the color of one of Zach's shirts.

The Shirt

down into his pants.

Lucky shirt

Donald was the Poet Laurette of New Hampshire and is now the Poet Laurette to the United States. He travels a great deal and has found a new love.

Sorry for my ramble but I was surprised to see his name mentioned. It might be interesting to read some of her poems with his words to gather a more complete picture.

Jan

Wow, what are the chances?!? I really like that poem.

I'm usually reading 2 or 3 books at a time - I just finished Hiding From The Light by Barbara Erskine and now I'm reading Winfield: Living In The Shadow Of The Woolworths by Monica Randall and Haunted Michigan by Gerald S. Hunter.

(Does anyone but me review books on Amazon? I was just merciless on Barbara Erskine, but she can write and I can't believe she just keeps using the same formula over and over and making it more and more sensationalistic each time.)

cambriel

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I have an hour commute every day and I hate radio commercials, so I started checking out audio books @ the library.  I have been listening to all different authors because I never know what cd is going to be available.
So any recommendations?
searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambriel
I have an hour commute every day and I hate radio commercials, so I started checking out audio books @ the library.  I have been listening to all different authors because I never know what cd is going to be available.
So any recommendations?

This is probably just me, I find audio books to be a bit more difficult to pick.  I have had some bad experience with good story/bad delivery, and wished that I had picked up a paper copy.  Best one though, was Clinton's.  Roughly 7 hours, just flew by on a long drive, LOL.

searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan

She wrote several books of poetry which are quite good; my favorite is Otherwise by Jane Kenyon.   My favorite was a poem I found to be quite light (for Jane).  It's is a poem I think of often when admiring the color of one of Zach's shirts.

The Shirt

down into his pants.

Lucky shirt

Jan

Wow!  Thanks for posting this, Jan

Emeraldax

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
A couple of friends have been recommending Neil Stephenson to me, and yesterday I found Snow Crash at the used book store.  I love any story that has a bit of a satirical flavor, but when it combines with a genre I love, such as sci-fi, it is definitely a must-read. 

On a Port Charles-related note, when I read the physical description of the main character, Hiro Protagonist (heh - no really), it made me think of Kiko Ellsworth:  Cappucino skin, short dreads, high forehead, Korean eyes, high cheekbones.  I don't always imagine actors when I am reading a story, but this one really hit me.  The guy from CSI could also fit the bill.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy

(Does anyone but me review books on Amazon? I was just merciless on Barbara Erskine, but she can write and I can't believe she just keeps using the same formula over and over and making it more and more sensationalistic each time.)

I review books on Amazon some times.   I love reading the reviews as well for the books and the CDs - although I get frustrated when someone is reviewing the book based on things that have nothing to do with the actual book.  (For instance, someone gave a CD only one star and then went on to say they didn't like the CD because the singer is too successful and has made too much money). 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.