Message Board

Main Section
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Maisie

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
i just watched the 1996 version of "Jane Eyre" - I felt that William Hurt was a woeful choice to play Mr. Rochester.  That is a role that I feel TK was born to play.

My favorite version of that movie was the 1997 version with Samantha Morton and Ciaran Hinds.  He is an Irish actor I really like who reminds me somewhat of TK - rugged looks, a sexy dark voice with an accent.  He was also in Persuasion and many other movies (just saw him in a quick cameo in "In Bruges.") I'd love to see TK get the chance to play in roles like his.
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #2 
Oh, you are singing my song! I've been agitating for that for a long time. Mr. Rochester is my number one dream role for TK.

I'm probably in the extreme minority on this one, but of all the Mr. Rochesters I've seen over the years, the only actor who even came close to embodying the character for me was Orson Welles. I do think Ciaran Hinds is a good actor and I liked him in Persuasion but he wasn't really Rochester for me.although not a misfire like William Hurt! What were they thinking?!

Who would you cast as Jane Eyre? As much as I have not been satisfied with most other Mr. Rochesters (making a big exception for Timothy Dalton (g)), I've been equally unsatisfied with every Jane I've seen.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

In spite of the fact that to me Mr Rochester will always be Orson Welles...(boy, that dates me , doesn't it!),   I agree that I'd like to see Thorsten do this role. I think his Rochester would be deeper, more interspective and less flamboyant and I would love every minute of it.

southernbelle

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Oh Kathy, I totally agree with you about Timothy Dalton.  He is my all time favorite Rochester.  I also agree that TK would be superb in that role.  In fact I've seen a lot of similarities between Dalton and TK in their acting styles, and the looks don't hurt either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Oh, you are singing my song! I've been agitating for that for a long time. Mr. Rochester is my number one dream role for TK.

I'm probably in the extreme minority on this one, but of all the Mr. Rochesters I've seen over the years, the only actor who even came close to embodying the character for me was Orson Welles. I do think Ciaran Hinds is a good actor and I liked him in Persuasion but he wasn't really Rochester for me.although not a misfire like William Hurt! What were they thinking?!

Who would you cast as Jane Eyre? As much as I have not been satisfied with most other Mr. Rochesters (making a big exception for Timothy Dalton (g)), I've been equally unsatisfied with every Jane I've seen.

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
William Hurt was totally miscast as Mr. Rochester.  He's not dark enough and he's not deep enough.  He didn't even have a British accent, yet he mumbled his way through the movie.  I'm usually a fan of his, but definitely not this time.

How about Anna Pacquin as Jane Eyre?  She did play the young Jane in the version I just saw.  Or Anna Kendrick from Up in the Air?
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #6 
I really liked Anna Kendrick in Up In The Air! She really seems like she might have the oomph to play Jane Eyre. Dunno about Anna Pacquin since I don't think I've seen her in anything since The Piano. But she won an Oscar for that so don't think I'd turn her down. (g)

PS If you've ever seen William Hurt in Broadcast News... a scene in that movie was filmed in the building I worked in at the time. I saw him go in and out of the building and my boss was hard pressed to get any work out of me that day. (g)

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pah

In spite of the fact that to me Mr Rochester will always be Orson Welles...(boy, that dates me , doesn't it!),   I agree that I'd like to see Thorsten do this role. I think his Rochester would be deeper, more interspective and less flamboyant and I would love every minute of it.

Glad to see another Orson Welles fan. (g)

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

Oh Kathy, I totally agree with you about Timothy Dalton.  He is my all time favorite Rochester.  I also agree that TK would be superb in that role.  In fact I've seen a lot of similarities between Dalton and TK in their acting styles, and the looks don't hurt either!

Glad I'm not the only one! Timothy Dalton was the only Mr. R. I've really enjoyed other than Orson Welles. OK, if truth be known, I practically wore out my TD JE tapes.(g)

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

Glad I'm not the only one! Timothy Dalton was the only Mr. R. I've really enjoyed other than Orson Welles. OK, if truth be known, I practically wore out my TD JE tapes.(g)

Me too!!!  I know all the lines by heart!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.