Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
Cheri

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Today is my favorite kind of Zach day. He was so... ZACH... today. We can see the progression of the character from when he first arrived on the scene in Las Vegas, and in everything that he said today his past informs his present. He's still Zach Slater, but he's learned and grown and moved forward with his life and not remained stuck in the mire where we first found him. And instead of being the agenda-driven, vengeance-minded interloper, he is a man with a life and a future while the woman he was speaking with has become the agenda-driven, vengeance-minded intruder to his life. Although I have to give him a lot of credit for not seeing her as interloper or intruder, and for trying to offer friendship and the benefit of his experiences.

Despite the fact that Zach has moved forward and is no longer allowing his father's actions to dictate his emotions, he is still the calm, controlled man we have always known him to be. He is different, though. He's content with his life for probably the first time ever... he told Maria long ago, "I like to live in the here and now. ... The past and the future, someone else can have that. But right here, right now -- that's mine." Who could blame him? The past, both remembered and not, brought him nothing but pain... and robbed him of any opportunity to plan a future. Now Zach is making a peace that he can tolerate with his past and is actually looking forward to the future. In order to do that, he had to learn from his experiences, and just like in the alcoholic's creed he has to accept the things he cannot change and change the things he can. He cannot change who Alexander Cambias Sr. is or what he will do, but he CAN change his reaction to him. And he has. Completely. Which has finally given him the things he thought he'd never have... love, happiness, and a family of his own.

No longer do we see the man who described himself, "I understand self-hatred. Cause when I cut myself, when I bleed, I see the blood of my father, my brother. ... Some people don't have to drink the whole bottle of poison to kill themselves. Some of us find death in small doses over a lifetime." In that same scene from 2005, he told Kendall, "Self-destructive men shouldn't have children." He said it softly, almost as if he wanted to hold the words back and not have to utter them... but he strongly believed it then. Now, though, we see a man who proudly proclaims his family, his step-son and looks forward with great happiness to the child his wife is carrying. And considering what an honorable man that Zach is at his core, I have to believe that he no longer considers himself incapable of providing what a child... what HIS child needs. And that is light years away from the man he was when he came to Pine Valley. Granted, his first reaction to Kendall's pregnancy was fear... but this is also the man who tentatively suggested just last fall that he found having a child with her, "terrifies me, you know... in an odd way, a compelling way, a long-term kind of way... but yeah. If we're ready, I would like that."

Yet he is still the man that we came to know and love before Kendall, without love and without any thoughts toward the future except dread. For so long, until after Ethan's death, Zach proclaimed that regrets were pointless and that he allowed no room in his life for them. "Regrets are a waste of time. They don't change anything. You can't go back. ... Life will play out the way it plays out. And the power I have to change the course of human events is very limited." is what he told Kendall the January night he asked her to re-marry him. The problem was that we could all see he was consumed by his regrets and any thoughts he had for the future were clouded by the choices he had made in his past... and his belief that he didn't deserve a future because of those choices. Today, though, he put an end to that once and for all. He now states that not knowing Ethan, not being his father, was the biggest regret of his life... but in saying it that way he also admits to other things he regrets and by acknowledging he has regrets he also gives them the proper perspective in his life. When he denied them they loomed large and overwhelmed everything -- now they are things he cannot change, but can inform and enrich his present so that he can have a future. I loved what he told Hannah today, "It's us. We hold onto the past. It doesn't hold onto us. And we do have the power to let go. ... What I'm saying is that I wish someone had pounded that into my head a long time ago. The only thing we can do is move on, and build something new."

Despite the changes in Zach, he is still the man he always was... only more. He is strong, he is confident, and he has found a way to finally remove himself from his father's influence and abuse. During the years Zach was hiding from his father, and the years he believed Alexander dead, Zach still allowed the man to control his life. Zach denied himself the things he truly wanted and allowed his life to be ruled by hatred and consumed by denial. His strength, though, was irrefutable. Any other man would have been broken by what he endured -- known and unknown. The level of abuse he suffered from his father, Zach's own belief about the things he thought he had done, and the ruthless manner in which he saw his life all contributed to the scary, quiet and lethal man that Zach Slater was when he first appeared. Hard as he tried, though, Zach could not hide his heart, or his need to help others... especially women... in need. He had no tolerance for abuse, and found himself repeatedly helping women who did not want and often openly rejected his assistance. Maria, Bianca, Babe, Kendall, Erica, Greenlee, Julia, Di, Dixie... the list goes on and on.  Zach took their contempt and still he helped them, comforted them, and made their lives better or easier... but all the while never finding comfort or ease for himself. Now he has finally found his way to the other side. Zach accepts comfort from Kendall, Bianca, Myrtle... smiles easily and loves with the heart he kept hidden for so long... and still has the patience to offer both wisdom and compassion to someone who is consumed by the demons that once threatened to destroy his life.

Hannah is so much like Zach was. Whatever has happened to her, she is that self-destructive, self-hating person that Zach once described. She is consumed by the past and her sole purpose seems to be revenge. I don't think it's a coincidence that Hannah's arrival coincided with the revelation that Alexander Cambias Sr. was still alive. At his death, her rage toward him had no outlet and her dreams of vengeance were impotent. Now that the source of all her anger and blame is alive, Hannah has the opportunity to exact her own revenge... whether Zach is another source of anger or merely someone she hopes to use in her quest for revenge remains to be seen. Like the Zach that was, Hannah hides behind a cool exterior -- or at least tries to. She is not as successful as Zach in that regard... and perhaps has not been as successful as him in any endeavor. Zach found a way to hide in plain sight, to become a success on his own terms, and to build a life without assistance that offered all the perks that being a Cambias would have handed him. If Hannah's story is to be believed, she made a success of herself but had to do it far away and hidden from view... and had to sacrifice her child to do it at all.

It is hard to tell what Hannah has said that is truth or lie. As always, I am looking for the hole in her story that will allow for a revelation that Ethan is not Zach's son. Today certainly provided more holes. She admitted to Zach that she read about him in the trades... she knows his business style and his reputation... which once again proves that she has been researching him carefully and laying plans for a long time. Her reaction to Zach's news of Kendall's pregnancy was excessive to say the least. I believe that Zach noticed it, but was uncertain how to respond to her obvious distress... and was then saved from having to respond by Kendall's arrival. Hopefully Zach will not let his compassion for her overcome his instincts and will realize that her reaction was inordinate. All I could think when I watched was that there was so much more about what happened to Hannah than she has revealed... and that somewhere in this story is the glimmer of hope that Ethan will finally be revealed as Zach's brother rather than his son.

The comments she made to Zach were full of unspoken statements. Hannah commented that Alexander had made it impossible for her to have a family or a future. She paused briefly when asking Zach, "Have you ever wondered what would have happened if I had reached you before... Alexander sent me away?" Was that pause merely emotion? Or was it because Alexander did something else that she doesn't want to tell Zach -- or admit to herself? Then she asked, "What would you have done if you knew I was pregnant with your son?" Why the emphasis on the words "your son"? Between the two of them, Hannah's pregnancy is already acknowledged as being Zach's child... unless it wasn't... and she is emphasizing it in that unconscious way that people do when trying to make a lie into the truth... and trying to convince herself and Zach that the truth she wants is more important than reality. I admit, this may be grasping at straws, but those are straws I will always gladly grasp. Finally, when she returned to her office she said, "Where's my second chance? My happy future? My baby?" all I could see was that there is so much we don't know. Was Hannah pregnant with Zach's child when he left for school? And did she give birth to Zach's son at all? Or did Hannah have an abortion or miscarriage that rendered her infertile? Was Ethan her son? Or was he the son of someone else, passed off as hers? Did Hannah stay away while Ethan was alive because she was afraid he'd ask for DNA proof of their relationship... something that she wouldn't be able to provide? Could she have willingly slept with Alexander after Zach left for school and become pregnant then? Perhaps Hannah's bitterness made it impossible for her to have a relationship with anyone... perhaps she found it impossible to conceive and that destroyed what little happiness she might have found in her new life... so many possibilities. I certainly hold out no hope that was the intent in Hackworld -- but I also believe that new writers can and should use the ambiguity that has been portrayed to build a new, interesting story for Hannah that makes her actions and her choices understandable.

Whatever demons are plaguing Hannah, though, my primary concern is what they may do to Zach. I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe that her pain is real. I am also willing to believe that Hannah's life has been consumed by guilt and remorse. I can certainly accept that she didn't try to have a reunion with Ethan because she was ashamed of leaving him behind. Whatever publicity Zach and Ethan had told a very clear story of Ethan's hatred for and rejection of Zach, just as it recounted Zach's denial of Ethan. Hannah had to be afraid that Ethan would hate her and reject her the same way he had Zach... she had to believe that Ethan would see her abandonment of him was as much of a denial as Zach's was. Never knowing her son -- if indeed he was her son -- could very well drive her to the crimes she appears to be capable of. It's too bad Hannah didn't come to Pine Valley sooner... it's a shame she didn't see Zach grow and change and learn... especially considering that the person most likely to be hurt by her need to alleviate her own pain is Zach. I just hope that he can get through to her in time, before Hannah destroys his hard won happiness and takes away the light in Zach's eyes.

Kathy Brand for Headwriter of AMC NOW, before it's too late!

© 2009 -- DO NOT COPY THIS POST ONTO ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD
Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

Very astute Cheri.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Cheri, great post.    I like your take on where Zach was and where he is now.   I really enjoyed yesterday's show as Zach did quote allot of what we've seen since he started. 

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Great post Cheri as always.  I still have so many things going on in my head about Hannah that just don't make sense.  The first thing has been IF Ethan was JR's son why didn't ACS bring him home after JR died.  This was the golden boys child and heir to Cambias.  I still believe that after JR left for school Hannah slept with Michael either willlingly (she wanted a rich Cambias) or by rape.  The statement ACS made on the balconey about Miranda being Michael's spawn keeps going through my head and that is the reason he didn't want Ethan.  A man as powerful as ACS would have no trouble finding Ethan or Hannah for that matter.  Next, why didn't she come see her son after ACS died.  She had to know he was dead especially in her position and she had to know Ethan now had Cambias.  This just doesn't make sense at all.  Also, had did she know all this stuff about how Zach treated Ethan.  I can't believe the personal information was in the newspaper. Unless ar reporter was on the inside there is no way they could know all this.   So many questions.  I hope we get some good answers and not something stupid.  I want to have faith in the new HW.

Granny

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri
Today is my favorite kind of Zach day. He was so... ZACH... today. We can see the progression of the character from when he first arrived on the scene in Las Vegas, and in everything that he said today his past informs his present. He's still Zach Slater, but he's learned and grown and moved forward with his life and not remained stuck in the mire where we first found him. ....
WOW!  Cheri!  You put a lot of thought into this.  Very good!  What a mind you have.  WOW!

Cheri, your thoughts appear to be very accurate, logical, and wow!  My poor brain doesn't have the capabilities to expound adequately to comment on your post, so, I will just say well done but I really mean so much more.  The saying goes that the brain is a beautiful thing.  Cheri you are knock-down gorgeous!

Granny 

Thanks, Sharon, for putting Zach and Kendall in my backyard. Thanks, Karen, for attaching this to my posts.
Quilp

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri

. . . . He is different, though. . . . . Now Zach is making a peace that he can tolerate with his past and is actually looking forward to the future. . . .

. . . Despite the changes in Zach, he is still the man he always was... only more.

. . . Now he has finally found his way to the other side. . . .

. . . . Whatever demons are plaguing Hannah, though, my primary concern is what they may do to Zach. . . .I just hope that he can get through to her in time, before Hannah destroys his hard won happiness and takes away the light in Zach's eyes.

You certainly nailed yesterday's show.  All the i's dotted and t's crossed.  Amazing post!!!

I'm just tossing this out there and no one can really answer it I guess except Thorsten and he wouldn't - I know.  How the hell does someone ACT that!? 

Yes, there can be great scripts and great words for an actor to spout, but how the hell does this man make you FEEL so much about his character?  You could actually see and FEEL the lightness of Zach yesterday.  You could FEEL that a weight had been lifted (for how long I don't know as I do not see this lasting).  The actual "physical" part of it just blew me away.  Even after all these years of watching him, he still manages to stun me with his work. 

And I LOVE Hannah.  I've said this before, SH is a wonderful co-star for Thorsten.  She's the best thing to come to AMC since Thorsten IMHO.  I see her causing great pain for Zach and Kendall and I'm afraid I don't have a problem with that as there will be great scenes for Thorsten.

Again, GREAT post, Cheri!!!!
Kelly

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Very compelling post once again about Zach's soul and who he is. I too see the growth and ability to love himself growing within and that is a wonderful opportunity to see a person develope and become aware of the goodness and joy in this world when love is chosen over hatred and revenge. I guess in one way we have Tad to thank for his help with Alexander Sr. when he begged Zach to stop and feel instead of react. But Zach has always known the pain has been his destructive demon and revenge has only brought him more pain. I find this character so true to my own life and my abusive father and each time he speaks he speaks to my life and my own growth and awareness that life is now, present and a gift and love is always a choice and not a fear. I am changing along with Zach and that is the gift that Thorsten gives me in his portrayal, his real and heartfelt portrayal of someone allowing himself to finally let go of his father's burdens and live fully and completely....to create something new and beautiful. I too hope Hannah doesn't take that joy and light away from him but I do see the possibility that her pain, as with all of us, will draw more pain and destroy not just her but those around her. Zach has always been a teacher at heart and has had some teachers in his life such as Myrtle and Lily. I hope Hannah can find her way out of her tunnel of hate, revenge and destruction too and I hope her "repressed memories" reveal her son wasn't Zach's at all.

Diva

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Cheri, as always your post gives us a wonderful insight into the depth of the man, Zach Slater. 

I loved yesterday's show for we saw a tortured soul finally find his  peace and salvation in the love of a family, he never thought was ever in his future. Zach has come to terms with his past and has found his way to move on without regrets. He said to Hannah, "It's us, we hold on to the past, it doesn't hold on to us and we do have the power to let go." Wise words - words Hannah a woman consumed with hate and revenge should take to heart, because they are said by a man who has lived them.

Whatever forces are driving Hannah today, I hope will become evident before she destroys the happiness that Zach has fought so hard to attain. Her past has yet to reveal secrets that will definitely affect Zach, his family and the baby that he so eagerly awaits.

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #9 
So Zach has decided to let ACS's own karma punish him. This is the sense I get and there is a beauty to it that I find very satisfying - especially since Zach himself had the opportunity to point out how ACS had outfoxed his own self and enumerate the many humiliations and frustrations ACS would now be subject to.

What was not satisfying to me and what is so typical of this show is that we did not see what precipitated Zach's epiphany. One minute Zach was in the courtroom, taking a losing gamble that he could shock his father into revealing his true mental state, and the next minute Zach was looking at his father in jail through new eyes. There are a few issues here that make me very uneasy about this.

Does it really matter if somebody is crazy on his show? Being crazy - truly crazy or pretend crazy - is simply a metaphor for a get out of jail free card. And we all know how easy it is for crazy killers to get out of jail on this show.

While Zach painted a very karmic prisoner-in-his-own-body fate for ACS, Zach knows it's just an act, and while I won't mention any spoilers in this thread, I can foresee something happening in the future that would make Zach quickly forego his dismissive stance.

Zach does have the power to let the past go (and I too loved those words and his scenes with Hannah yesterday) - if the past is really gone. But I don't think it is. And you know what? I hope it isn't. Because I didn't get to see Zach let it go - and I need to see that, and the past isn't really gone as long as Hannah is around and we don't know what she's up to, and as long as ACS is around with more incentive than ever to get Zach.

The past is always really if-fy on this show. Like with Kendall. Zach explained to her his reasons for not acceding to her demands to get Bianca out of town - it was because Zach himself had good reason to believe that Kendall's fears about Zoe were baseless, since Zoe had been compassionate and perceptive towards Zach himself. This apparently did not matter a whit to Kendall after all and now it is as if that part of their discussion never happened with Kendall scolding Zach for doing something that according to their previous conversation, should not even have been necessary.

Based on that, I feel that if Hannah does turn out to be the danger I fear (which would be such a total waste - emotional threat to Zach and Kendall's marriage, yes, physical threat, no, AFAIC), Zach will be the one paying for it because the past is prologue.

toasty2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Well Christy if they let us see how Zach let go of his anger that would mean more air time for Zach and the fans and less time for the Carey women and that is a big NO NO on AMC.  More than 5 minutes of Zach is NOT ALLOWED and we never get to see a lot of scenes (one that comes to mind is when did he found out about Raymond and, of course, the bullet wound to his arm) that we would like too.  Hopefully things will change with the new HW (wishful thinking). 

I do understand Zach's logic in his father being in an institution rather than death.  Death sometimes is too easy a way out especially for people who have caused a great deal of pain to others - let him suffer.  Also, I want RG to stick around.  The man is wonderful and I love his scens with TK.  As for SH, I do hope they keep her around she is a talented actress
Enis

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 

Thank you Cheri for the wonderful post. My tired old brain can just about read it, let alone write it. Thank you.

Take care,
Enis

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 

Christy -- love your new avatar.  I just posted in another thread how happy I was KC was back! 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.