Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
RFoxS

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
http://www.soapoperadigest.com/features/amc/interviews/crashcourse/

Not one word about Zaby, Ian.   Personally, it is another way to prop Greengivme and Ryass 
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFoxS
http://www.soapoperadigest.com/features/amc/interviews/crashcourse/

Not one word about Zaby, Ian. Personally, it is another way to prop Greengivme and Ryass

it allows us to explore not only the dynamic between Kendall and Greenlee, but the relationships between Zach and Kendall, Ryan and Annie, Ryan and Greenlee, and all these people who are intimately involved with this little boy.

Look who they put first...this is all about Kendall and Greenlee, exactly as I said in my post last night. And yep, looks like they forgot that Kendall has another child struggling for life in the NICU who has no Lavery blood in him or Greenlee connection. Why am I not surprised?

This whole interview takes me back to the winter of 2001, with the B/E-penned storyline of Arianna Shapour, the honor killing almost-victim from "Mycountry" and how Arianna's dire situation was used simply as a roadblock for Ian and Eve's cosmic romance. Now it sounds to me as if Spike's deafness is being used as a roadblock for Kendall and Greenlee.

Because when the cochlear implant surgery is over, how much attention is Spike's situation going to get again? I'm betting NONE. Its usefulness will have been served as the facilitator of Kendall and Greenlee's estrangement and eventual reconciliation, just as Arianna's stereotypical storyline (complete with big bad knife-wielding brother and cartoonish INS officials) was used to break up Ian and Eve as they were set to announce their togetherness.

But if anyone has any problems with the way Spike's deafness is handled, don't bother to complain to the press or the show - or you will be labeled as a disgruntled fan of (fill in blank). That was the experience of those of us who dared to complain about the way the honor killing storyline was handled - we - a group of women who loathed Eve and would have loved to see this issue given the justice it deserved (up to and including Ian falling in love with Arianna for real had she been an actual developed character rather than just an exepedient stereotype) - were publicly taken to task in an interview in SOW for our group letter enumerating a list of concerns that SOW, JHC and B/E reduced to being a silly complaint from a group of Ian'n'Eve lovers.

That still burns me up to this day and it's one of the reasons I will never be a fan of B/E and I will never be optimistic about any serious issue they take on because in my experience, it will be reduced to its lowest common denominator.

RFoxS

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you, Christy for explaining how the writers work and how they "really"  feel about us viewers. 

I am so pissed with the whole storyline.  Up unitl Friday, I was able to understand Kendall wanting to spend her time with Spikey.  But now... I don't get it.  Deafness is not a life threatening condition.  I understand that they are spewing this for drama, however... shame on the writers for making the audience believe that being deaf is soooo horrible.  For Christsakes, the doctors offered up surgery.  Spike will survive.  Zaby, Ian is fighting for his life with each breathe he takes, and where is Kendall?  Yup, she with the chosen golden one... the fruit of St. Lavery's loins. 

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Gosh Christy, that's wild!  I have watched that story on Soapnet/PC & have it on tape & while ITA about the Arianna mess, I loved watching Ian & Eve together(please don't throw rocks!) I can see now after you said this that it was totally plot-driven.  It pained me so much to see them kept apart
& suffering so much just so Ian could "save" this stranger, who also ran over his Eve!  I didn't watch it live, not real sure it was carried in our mkt, because I don't remember ever seeing it before Soapnet.  But the point is, when we complain, we're just a disgruntled group of fans?  I thought something was wrong,because everytime we do complain, they seem to stick it to us even worse!  Maybe we're going about it all wrong & we should praise it to high heaven & then maybe they'll give us what we really want!  You know, like B'rer Rabbit, Please don't throw me in the briar patch!

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysonlyyou
Gosh Christy, that's wild! I have watched that story on Soapnet/PC & have it on tape & while ITA about the Arianna mess, I loved watching Ian & Eve together(please don't throw rocks!) I can see now after you said this that it was totally plot-driven. It pained me so much to see them kept apart
& suffering so much just so Ian could "save" this stranger, who also ran over his Eve! I didn't watch it live, not real sure it was carried in our mkt, because I don't remember ever seeing it before Soapnet. But the point is, when we complain, we're just a disgruntled group of fans? I thought something was wrong,because everytime we do complain, they seem to stick it to us even worse! Maybe we're going about it all wrong & we should praise it to high heaven & then maybe they'll give us what we really want! You know, like B'rer Rabbit, Please don't throw me in the briar patch!

Sharon, if you're interested in reading it, here is the text of the letter we sent them (which was signed onto by at least a dozen posters):

TO: (soap mags)

Given the brutal and repressive “honor killing” climate under which so many women struggle to merely exist in the world today, Port Charles has chosen a tremendously timely and relevant issue with which to enlighten and sensitize its viewers in its story of Arianna Shapour.

The issue of women's victimization by the sanctioned murder practice, "honor killing", in many Middle Eastern countries is a foreign one to many Americans, who have no idea it exists. Unfortunately, the issue is very real. Given its tragic dimensions, and its singling out of women, the issue especially deserves to be addressed with the utmost seriousness, compassion, and skill by a television show whose major audience is female. Our sisters are being tortured, maimed, and killed for the basic fact that they are female human beings. Lest anyone brush this off with the excuse that it can't happen here, it most certainly can: there are women who are begging for asylum in the United States because they have been targeted in their own countries. (The Amnesty International web site-- http://www.amnesty.org/--is a good place to begin to learn about it; enter the word "women" into the site's internal search, and you'll be horrified by what is brought to light).

Arianna, a young woman of indeterminate Middle Eastern origin, and a pregnant rape victim, is being hunted down by her formerly beloved brother, Ben, who has sworn to kill her for the "dishonor" she has brought to their family. She has nowhere to turn, until the noble Doctor Ian Thornhart comes to her rescue, even going so far as to enter into a marriage in name only with her. Now, this idea would seem to have the earmarks of a classic soap story. It even whispers echoes of some of the most memorable and honored soap storylines of the past that dared to take on controversial social issues…AIDS, homophobia, and gang date rape.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as if Port Charles has any intention of taking this route. With a tiny bit of research, this story could have had similar educational value as well as emotional impact. But Port Charles has thus far proved itself incapable of incorporating the ramifications of Arianna's plight into a substantial and meaningful storyline. They have trivialized this issue to the extent that the character of Arianna is impatiently regarded by many viewers as nothing more than an impediment to the relationship of Ian Thornhart and his "true love," Eve Lambert. And Ian, the world-wise traveler, would certainly have knowledge of, and access to, amnesty organization to help her, and wouldn't resort to marrying a woman he doesn't love. This is not only poor, lazy storytelling; it's irresponsible in the extreme.

Just think what could have been accomplished if, instead of adhering to Port Charles' arbitrary storytelling schedule, the character of Arianna had been introduced slowly, and viewers were given a chance and a reason to really care about what happened to her. The real-life horrors of her situation would have had so much more impact, while educating viewers at the same time. And there could have been real drama to the situation--to see Ian actually develop feelings for this girl over a normal span of time, as viewers came to care about her as well, and then be presented with a real tug-of-war in his heart between Arianna and Eve Lambert, the woman he really loved but thought had forgotten loving him.

The writers of this story, the producers, and the network itself should be ashamed about the way they have reduced this barbaric practice of "honor killing" to a stupid plot trick to keep Ian and Eve apart. The characters, the actors, the viewers, and most important of all by far, the millions of women whose tragic circumstances are being trivialized here, deserve better!

Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Thank you for posting this Christy.  It is definitely food for thought, and not just in the context of a soap story.

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Christy, this almost draws a parallel to politicians.  Writers (policiticians) start out with a fresh vision and a dream and are sucked into the mechanics and loose thier nerve to be visonists and make a difference.  (If this is controversial - just pull.  It was just a random thought I thought I'd share)  

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann

Thank you for posting this Christy. It is definitely food for thought, and not just in the context of a soap story.

I had so much old stuff on this, I hope this is the right draft (g).

I'm still steamed!!!!

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntinette
Christy, this almost draws a parallel to politicians. Writers (policiticians) start out with a fresh vision and a dream and are sucked into the mechanics and loose thier nerve to be visonists and make a difference. (If this is controversial - just pull. It was just a random thought I thought I'd share)

You're so right - it is exactly like politics in every aspect.  I could write a dissertation on this myself!

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Christy, it's a beautifully & thoughtfully written letter that has a very powerful and undeniable argument and I am shocked it was just blown off
as the ramblings of disgruntled Ian/Eve fans, but then it smacks of some things we're complaining about today, doesn't it?  They blew a chance to really make a statement here about women's rights, or lack of rights in many countries, just for the sake of plot/ratings.  Thanks for posting it & since I have seen
this story, I can really appreciate it much more.  I also have to say I wonder
about these soap mags & where their allegiance really lies. 

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Christy, thanks for posting your original letter contents.  After reading it (and I must complement whoever penned it SO perfectly and profoundly), and the kind of response you had received, it is very clear to me that SOW, JHC and B/E are not capable of comprehending your message, or, even their own jobs.  Media can be such a powerful tool to educate people WHILE entertaining!  They don't have to choose one over the other all of the time.  Sure we can watch documentaries on PBS, but do soaps and other network shows have to be brainless mumbo-jumbo put together by sensationalizing social issues and news events?  As a viewer, I feel that once they address such a serious topic, they OWE it to not only women, but the whole humankind, to do justice to the subject.  It is their moral responsibility to the society at large, that such subjects and issues not be used as plot tricks for the sole purpose of entertainment (plot tricks are nothing more than frivolous entertainment, IMO, plot tricks are NOT good story telling, but laziness on writers' part).

Having said that, despite having been promised good story telling by the new team, I am not going to hold my breath anymore.  I will continue to watch the whole episodes, as I know that ratings do count, and I would not want TK/Zach to suffer from lower ratings.  So I will do my share of watching.  But, I won't invest my emotions in ANY characters other than ZACH and all HIS children, just as I haven't cared about the majority of the characters for last few years!

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Christy, it's a beautifully & thoughtfully written letter that has a very powerful and undeniable argument and I am shocked it was just blown off
as the ramblings of disgruntled Ian/Eve fans, but then it smacks of some things we're complaining about today, doesn't it? I guess money talks & the
almighty dollar is the bottom line. They blew a chance to really make a statement here about women's rights, or lack of rights in many countries, just for the sake of plot/ratings. Thanks for posting it & since I have seen
this story, I can really appreciate it much more. I also have to say I wonder
about these soap mags & where their allegiance really lies.

And in one of those real-life coincidences, at the time Arianna's story was playing out, honor killings were big in the news and it was the first that many people had ever heard of them. Oprah even did some shows on them. So here are all these real human interest stories in the news at the same time PC was busy screwing it up. Talk about frustrating. I realize that soaps aren't in the position to educate the public to any great extent (thought some of them used to incorporate social issues into their storylines in very memorably worthwhile and emotional ways), but in a case like this that is so important, they had a huge responsibility and IMO they completely blew it!

And while who knows, they may do justice to Spike's deafness but after reading that interview, I just immediately flashed back to 2001.

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by searose
Christy, thanks for posting your original letter contents. After reading it (and I must complement whoever penned it SO perfectly and profoundly), and the kind of response you had received, it is very clear to me that SOW, JHC and B/E are not capable of comprehending your message, or, even their own jobs. Media can be such a powerful tool to educate people WHILE entertaining! They don't have to choose one over the other all of the time. Sure we can watch documentaries on PBS, but do soaps and other network shows have to be brainless mumbo-jumbo put together by sensationalizing social issues and news events? As a viewer, I feel that once they address such a serious topic, they OWE it to not only women, but the whole humankind, to do justice to the subject. It is their moral responsibility to the society at large, that such subjects and issues not be used as plot tricks for the sole purpose of entertainment (plot tricks are nothing more than frivolous entertainment, IMO, plot tricks are NOT good story telling, but laziness on writers' part).

BINGO. That is exactly it, IMO. They insult our intelligence by claiming that all we care about is "couples" but that is exactly the way Spike's story seems to be shaping up to me although IMO the couple it's about is Kendall and Greenlee, and that's another distortion and injustice to certain characters right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searose
Having said that, despite having been promised good story telling by the new team, I am not going to hold my breath anymore. I will continue to watch the whole episodes, as I know that ratings do count, and I would not want TK/Zach to suffer from lower ratings. So I will do my share of watching. But, I won't invest my emotions in ANY characters other than ZACH and all HIS children, just as I haven't cared about the majority of the characters for last few years!

You know, they pretty much don't give us any choice. I used to love many AMC characters but they are either all gone now, rarely seen, or have been completely ruined AFAIC. So I'm all about Zach and Ian, too - and that's it. I can't trust the show enough for me to invest in anything else.

Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 

One of the things that so infuriates me is the fact that we know AMC can do socially relevant stories, they have done them in the past.

The fact that McCrackpipe un-aborted Erica's groundbreaking legal abortion, can't take away the impact that the story had at the time.

They tackled the AIDS epidemic in a beautifully written and heart wrenching story involving Stuart Chandler and Cindy, the young AIDS victim he fell in love with.

They have dealt realistically with other topical issues as well, including rape, self-defense murders and mental and emotional breakdowns for various reasons.

Now they have the chance to do a story involving PPD, another very real and very emotional subject. They also have the chance to deal realistically with having a deaf toddler.
They have chosen instead to turn it into another chance to shove the Lavery's down our throats, and very possibly alienate any new viewers they may have sucked in with their promises of better storylines and better writing. Many of us know that these writers are capable of the writing, so that leaves me with only one conclusion to draw:

Frons is still dictating the terms of story content, and as long as he is in charge, story telling will take second place to Lavery propping.

Sad but true.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
ITA Searose, they dropped the ball big-time on this one.  Let's hope they wake up before it's too late here & really do justice to the deaf story and not
just blow it off when it conveniently suits their plot.  They owe this to all of
the hearing impaired out there & I know there are many because I'm already
reading some of their stories.  And it's a great chance to tell Ian's story too, and we are dealing with some of his issues in our own lives with our little grandson, who was a 32 weeker & has a hole in his heart, too, and was jaundiced, the same as baby Ian & still faces more evaluation of his problems
later.  Now why not give us as much about that as they do Spike's problem,
since goodness knows there have to be many who can relate to that.  They act as if Ian's problems mean zip. 

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 

Quote:
ITA Searose, they dropped the ball big-time on this one.  Let's hope they wake up before it's too late here & really do justice to the deaf story and not
just blow it off when it conveniently suits their plot.  They owe this to all of
the hearing impaired out there & I know there are many because I'm already
reading some of their stories.  And it's a great chance to tell Ian's story too, and we are dealing with some of his issues in our own lives with our little grandson, who was a 32 weeker & has a hole in his heart, too, and was jaundiced, the same as baby Ian & still faces more evaluation of his problems
later.  Now why not give us as much about that as they do Spike's problem,
since goodness knows there have to be many who can relate to that.  They act as if Ian's problems mean zip. 

Yup, they think that they can just occasionally mention that Ian is fighting for his life, or mention that he is hooked up to tubes and machines, and that should be enough!  Extremely unfair to Zach/Ian characters, and unfair to us, as those of us who have had very tiny preemies KNOW what a battle it is!  No matter how many decades go by, and how grateful we are to have our children all healthy and grown up, we don't forget a moment of that struggle, and yet, AMC has shoved Ian into the background!  They can keep Ian in the forefront EVEN IF Kendall is "ignoring" him with PPD, can't they? 

Whether I decide to be patient and watch how all this plays out, I will be livid if they turn Spike's deafness into an excuse for Greenlee propping, especially if they have her come up with some miraculous cure!  All just to redeem her character.  Well, I still haven't forgiven Babe, and I will NEVER forgive Kwak/Jonboy/StLavery/Joonyer!  In real life, people who have committed such crimes against us or our families are NOT redeemed or forgiven like that.  We may not spend our lives by going on revenge spree, but we certainly don't hug and kiss and praise those people, do we?  THAT is real life and real human emotions.

Anyway, my thoughts are with your family, and I am sure your grandson will be playing hockey (or soccer or baseball or whatever you guys like) before you know!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.