Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm so sick and tired of the women on this show being depicted as wombs with feet! AMC is so sexist, it's often hard to believe AMC's headwriter is female. When it comes to treating women as being anything more than the content or potential content of their uteruses,  it often appears AMC is being written by a group of Taliban members. Paternity trumps maternity every time -- even though the father gets the fun part and  it's the mother who bears all the discomfort and risk of pregnancy and childbirth.

Today Joe actually said to Tad, "So you're the father of Krystal's baby." That really stood out to me -- because how seldom on this show do you hear a fetus identified by more than its father's contribution? Nine times out of ten you hear, "Tad's baby." "Ryan's baby." "Adam's baby." "JR's baby." Etc. Nine times out of ten, you hear these men refer to the children they conceived with their children's mother not as "our baby" but as "my baby" as if the kids sprang from their brows like Athena from Zeus, and didn't get half their DNA and the push into the world from their mothers.

Now, I loathe KWAK and I always have.  But that doesn't mean I think Tad has any right to demand custody of his and her child before it even sees the light of day. Just like Ryan getting control of Spike before he was born, Tad is reducing Krystal to a body part whose purpose is solely to serve up a baby to him when the time comes. This treats Krystal's rather essential status as the child's life-giving mother as completely incidental -- makes Tad Krystal's master.

KWAK" "Since when do you care what I want, Tad?"
TAD: "I don't. I care about our baby." (He actually said "our"! LOL! Of course, he meant my.)

Says it all, doesn't it? Like Krystal is incapable of safely bringing a child to term -- who knows, she might wanna go surfing or skydiving -- unless Tad dogs her 24/7, now that he knows it's his his his little bun in the oven?

The irony is that Krystal is carrying a girl. What a great lesson her daddy wants her to learn. That one day she too can look forward to producing children for her lord and master, who will assume control of them and relegate her to container status the instant she's packing a zygote.  That poor kid is screwed.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I agree Kathy.  Isn't it a sad day when TIIC make you want to defend someone you can't stand. 

I'm sick and tired of the fathers on this show using their children as pawns against their mother.  Krystal does something Tad doesn't like so he's going to take the baby.  Kendall does something that Ryan doesn't like so he threatens to sue for custody.   Why can't anyone go for joint custody. 

I would be totally supportive of Tad if Krystal was going to totally deny him any access to the baby and then he decides to go to court to get visitation or joint custody.  But I just can't support him trying to take a baby from it's mother completely, and without a justifiable reason.  If Tad thought the baby was in serious danger with Krystal or something that would be one thing.  And Tad can't even argue the point that Krystal shouldn't have this baby because she raised Babe so badly because Tad also raised a kidnapper (not to mention he helped to raise J.R. and look how well that turned out).  Krystal has done some terrible things but it stuns me that Tad can get on his high-horse and act like he would be a better parent when he murdered someone less than a year ago.  I cannot stand Krystal and her self-righteous attitude, but even she hasn't committed as heinous of crimes as Tad has. 

I also found it annoying that Bianca was implying that Kendall was being irrational (and I believe she was also implying that Kendall can't think clearly) based on her pregnancy hormones.  Why does pregnancy have to be brought into the situation every time a pregnant woman gets upset.  Pregnant women are still capable of thinking and reasoning things out.  But apparently TIIC don't think so.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Kathy and Mackenzie you both have expressed my thoughts exactly. I hope that MacTavish’s reign of treating women as if they were possessions will end with her departure. However, I wonder how much Frons has influenced her writing. His attitude towards women characters in Daytime has also been reported as sexist, treating them more like sex objects than as thinking individuals. Part of the writing that we have so complained about might also be attributed to his influence.

When last year Ryan was given custody of Kendall’s baby I was appalled. I did not belong to any message boards at the time and was unable to express my opinion. Now I see the same thing happening again with Krystal. Krystal definitely is not one of my favorite characters, but I do not condone Tad’s behavior in trying to gain custody before the baby is born. All the rights he has as a father should be determined after the baby is born and they should reach some sort of shared custody agreement.

Throughout McT’s reign on AMC we have seen women treated with contempt. The baby issue is not the only thing. Her women characters are always involved in some sort of triangle. They can’t commit themselves totally to one man. In McT’s world women must have at the very least two men at their beck and call, as they endlessly waver between them.

Another factor in McT’s world is that babies are never conceived out of love, but through some adulterous affair, or violent or scientifically induced procedures that women are exposed to. Thus, there is always this “whose the daddy” conflict that we have to constantly be bored with. At least with Zach and Kendall, we can for a change rest easy and enjoy the fact that this baby was conceived out of love. I wonder how much public opinion influenced this miracle on AMC.

searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

You all have covered everything I could have said on this subject.  I am still trying to figure out WHY Tad is looking for custody of the unborn child.  He (or the writer) hasn't yet expressed one comprehensible thought on WHY he wants the custody.  Even though Kwak is hellbent on staying with Adam, it does not mean that Tad won't be able to talk her into allowing him to be a part of the kid's life, does it?

brownpenny

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva

Throughout McT’s reign on AMC we have seen women treated with contempt. The baby issue is not the only thing. Her women characters are always involved in some sort of triangle. They can’t commit themselves totally to one man. In McT’s world women must have at the very least two men at their beck and call, as they endlessly waver between them.

Another factor in McT’s world is that babies are never conceived out of love, but through some adulterous affair, or violent or scientifically induced procedures that women are exposed to. Thus, there is always this “whose the daddy” conflict that we have to constantly be bored with. At least with Zach and Kendall, we can for a change rest easy and enjoy the fact that this baby was conceived out of love. I wonder how much public opinion influenced this miracle on AMC.

Totally agree with you Diva.  I guess it's easier to keep repeating the same tired old predictable SLs over and over with different characters than write anything new.  If McT was staying, I'm sure we'd find out ACS drugged Kendall and had her impregnated before Zach saved her.
Alina

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Nothing to add Kathy.  ICAM!

How lovely to see another useless hypocritcal man going after another woman's baby while still inside her.  UGH!

It was bad enough when Livia acted as Ryan's attorney but to have her do it again blows my mind especially since she knows Tad's dirty little burying secret. 

~No TK on AMC, No Me. Wherever he goes, I go!~

Cynthia

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I am so happy that I am not the only person who feels this way.  It drives me nuts!!!!!!!!

A good story with plenty of Zach time is all I ask.
Mackenzie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by searose

You all have covered everything I could have said on this subject.  I am still trying to figure out WHY Tad is looking for custody of the unborn child.  He (or the writer) hasn't yet expressed one comprehensible thought on WHY he wants the custody.  Even though Kwak is hellbent on staying with Adam, it does not mean that Tad won't be able to talk her into allowing him to be a part of the kid's life, does it?

That's exactly it.  I haven't even heard a reason why he wants full custody.  Which actually shows two problems with the writing: the way women are treated, and the way that we see characters doing things and there's never any reason given for why they're doing it.  If I'm going to be invested in a story I need to at least have some idea why the characters are doing what they're doing.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina

It was bad enough when Livia acted as Ryan's attorney but to have her do it again blows my mind especially since she knows Tad's dirty little burying secret. 

That's such a good point.  I didn't even think about that.  Of course that's probably because I was too busy hitting the mute button.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.