Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #1 
What is an Avatar?
An Avatar is simply any graphic image (i.e. a .jpg or .gif file, size 120px by 120px) of your choosing that appears beneath your posting name to the left of your posts.

How to get an Avatar?
You can either make an Avatar yourself, from an image you have, or have an Avatar made for you (we can't help you there; sorry). Do not use somebody else's image without permission from the owner.

Hosting your Avatar:
Your Avatar must be hosted online in order for you to link to it and have it appear in your posts. 

IMPORTANT: DO NOT UPLOAD IMAGES THROUGH THE UPLOAD FEATURE OF YOUR CONTROL PANEL. Due to bandwidth limitations, it will NOT show up.

You are responsible for providing your own host for your Avatar image; so if you don't already have a way of storing images online, such as your own web site or an image hosting service account, it is recommended that you select one of the latter.  Some image hosting services suggested by our messageboard server are:

http://photobucket.com/
http://www.imageshack.us/
http://www.freepichosting.com/

NOTE: Do not hotlink to a private third-party image already on the internet, including this web site, without permission from the web site owner.

Assigning an Avatar to your account:  
  • Click the Control Panel link.
  • Make sure your Avatar image is already uploaded to a website/image host (as described above), then enter the full URL to the image you want to use in the Avatar/Picture field.
SIGNATURES
What is a Signature?
A Signature goes beneath your posts. It can be either text, an image, or a combination.
  • Text Signature: Simply enter the text you wish to use in the field provided for it in your Control Panel.
  • Image Signature:
    • Obtain/host a Signature image the same way you obtain/host an avatar image. The only differences between them are their locations in your post, and their size. Unlike an Avatar image, a Signature image need not be limited to 120px by 120px. However, please keep the size reasonable; we request that your Signature image be no wider than 450px. 
    • In order to display a Signature image, enter the full URL of the image in the field provided in your Control Panel, as part of an Image Tag. Example:
      < IMG SRC="http://your-hosting-service.com/your-signature-image.jpg">
In Both Cases
You can change your Avatar/Signature images/text whenever you wish. However, changing either will result in replacing your existing image(s)/text in all previous posts with your new image(s)/text.

Please do not display banners or avatars that feature daytime TV characters from shows other than TK's.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

How do you do avatars?  I see them on a lot of websites and I don't have a clue on how they are done?  I have MSN photo album could that be use?  Thanks for your wonderful site!

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy

How do you do avatars?  I see them on a lot of websites and I don't have a clue on how they are done?  I have MSN photo album could that be use?  Thanks for your wonderful site!

Cindy, you can make an avatar from any image. Just crop it (or any portion of it you want) down to 120px by 120px, upload it to your server, and then paste the URL to that image in the designated place in your Control Panel. Make sure that the provider hosting your image (in your case, the MSN photo album service) permits remote linking (meaning, viewing an image stored on their server, on sites other than theirs), though. If it doesn't, your avatar won't show.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Thanks Kathy.

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Thanks for the info. I'm an official photobucketeer!

jennifer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy

We suggest you find an off-site host for your avatar, and simply link to it (using that control panel feature). Some hosting services suggested by our messageboard server are:

http://photobucket.com/
http://www.imageshack.us/
http://www.freepichosting.com/

Thank you for the sites.  I too am now a photobucketeer.  Let's see if my avatar works. 

laurie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Thanks for that info. For some reason I see my pic is working today...but it was one I posted for Halloween/Day of the Dead....so guess I better go update it now...  

Enis

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

Testing Avatar

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 

Me too.

A day without Zach Slater is like a day without sunshine.
laurie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 

I can't seem to put any URL in the avatar space. I can browse and upload (but it says all my pics are too big), but I can't seem to cut and paste or type anything into the avatar field. Am I doing something wrong?Thanks for any help/info....

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie

I can't seem to put any URL in the avatar space. I can browse and upload (but it says all my pics are too big), but I can't seem to cut and paste or type anything into the avatar field. Am I doing something wrong?Thanks for any help/info....

What is the URL of the image you are trying to upload?

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Color me clueless.

I can design newspaper pages, but I can't figure out this whole avatar thing.
I have a bunch of TK photos from this weekend. Shot film, so I had the pictures put on disk.

Now what?

I tried uploading a few to Photobucket and made a mess of everything. I just can't figure out how to get a photo to the magic size ...

So I am going to bed.
Cindy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawench
Color me clueless.

I can design newspaper pages, but I can't figure out this whole avatar thing.
I have a bunch of TK photos from this weekend. Shot film, so I had the pictures put on disk.

Now what?

I tried uploading a few to Photobucket and made a mess of everything. I just can't figure out how to get a photo to the magic size ...

So I am going to bed.

You need a program like irfanview to crop you photo down.

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I have a Mac ... so I have iPhoto.

My husband has a PC -- maybe I should try that?
Cindy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:

My sons have an Apple laptop they might know how to use iPhoto. My son says iPhoto works. 

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy

Quote:

My sons have an Apple laptop they might know how to use iPhoto. My son says iPhoto works. 

My daughter has an Apple laptop, maybe your son would be kind enough to post instructions and I can do it on the laptop.  TIA

Thanks Fil!
Froggie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 

Here's a great little program to make any picture the right size you need for an avatar, and it's idiot-proof (proof: I use it all the time!)

http://www.jql.co.uk/avatarsizer.htm

Happy Avatar-Making!

K

Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and your mascara runs!

Banner by Fil
Jana

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 

I found this image host the other day -

http://www.tinypic.com/

I tried it out and it worked fine - you don't even have to sign up for anything, just upload your avatar and there you go.

laurie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 

Thanks Jana and Froggie. I'll try it out. Jana, I almost tried putting a good luck cat for an avatar too....they are so cute!

Kathy, I can't remember what URL it was now that I had tried. But I was only able to figure out how to "browse" to use a pic I had already saved. I couldn't figure out how to put in some other url from a website...?? (I'm not so great with computers.) But thanks for posting all this info on using avatars. Such a little thing, and not a necessary thing ~ but so much fun to play with! 

laurie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie

Here's a great little program to make any picture the right size you need for an avatar, and it's idiot-proof (proof: I use it all the time!)

http://www.jql.co.uk/avatarsizer.htm

Happy Avatar-Making!

K

Hmmm...idiot proof, eh? Well that is a downer for my day....  (as you can see, still no avatar....) [sigh]  

Froggie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 

Laurie, I'm a dum-dum, so I have to do things very simply.  Here's my process-

1) Save the original picture to "My Pictures"

2) After the avatar sizer program is installed, follow the steps for it, when you get to the "browse" button, click on it and select the pic from your pictures.

3)Then set the dimensions wanted on the right...

4)Click next

5)Save your new av under a slightly diff name in "My Pictures"

6)Set up a webhost for your avatar...I use Photobucket...and you just

upload your new avatar to Photobucket like you do any picture...then you have a URL for it

7)Copy and paste the URL into your control panel under "change avatar setting"...

Hope this helps

Kay

Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and your mascara runs!

Banner by Fil
laurie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 

Ohh buggers. What am I doing wrong this time???

Thanks for the step-by-step info. I'll keep trying. It now just is saying something about "repairing" and I don't seem to get to the area where it says to browse...   I'll try again...  all this for an itty bitty picture... I suppose it's the challenge at this point.

laurie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Ahaa! I tried the tinypic.com and that worked easily this time. Thanks for tips and help with this.
maresydotes

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 

I'm sorry to sound like an idiot, but which is the avatar - the image on the left under your ID or the photo under your message? I am trying to create an avatar for under my ID.

Thanks for your help,

Mary

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 

Thanks for the info. I would never have figured it out!!! You are awesome

Callie

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I know this thread is old but I just wanted to ask if there's any way to upload an avatar.
There's no option to insert a URL link anymore so I wanted to know if I can upload an image from my computer and what's the size limit if I can. [smile]
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #27 
Callie, you can upload an image from your computer now for your avatar. There's no size limit KB-wise, but the dimensions should be 120px high and 120 wide (if it isn't it will automatically be scaled up or down). The board hosting company removed the option to insert a URL link when they started providing unlimited space for members to upload avatars and profile pics.

ETA: Oops, I need to revise the above - you can still insert an URL to link to an avatar picture. What you can't insert a link to any longer is the picture in your profile. Your profile picture can only be uploaded through the board's profile editing interface. We have asked the board host to restore the link option for that but no progress yet.

Callie

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy
Callie, you can upload an image from your computer now for your avatar. There's no size limit KB-wise, but the dimensions should be 120px high and 120 wide (if it isn't it will automatically be scaled up or down). The board hosting company removed the option to insert a URL link when they started providing unlimited space for members to upload avatars and profile pics.

ETA: Oops, I need to revise the above - you can still insert an URL to link to an avatar picture. What you can't insert a link to any longer is the picture in your profile. Your profile picture can only be uploaded through the board's profile editing interface. We have asked the board host to restore the link option for that but no progress yet.

Thanks for replying!

I still couldn't find it, though.
This is what I see in the "edit profile" section

[dqkv8n] 
no option for a URL, unless I'm looking at the wrong place.
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #29 
Callie, thanks for the screen cap -- we did not realize that board members no longer have the avatar URL link option, which board administrators still have. I will contact the board host about the discrepancy.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.