Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
jaye4kaye

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Zach will/would do anything. Will sacrifice all. It is, I feel, an innate sensibility of Zach's character to be loyal and giving. My belief in and of this is 100 percent. I don't (at this point) have the reciprocal conviction regarding Kendall. Don't get me wrong, I like their moments together,(their chemistry is off the charts), I like her because Zach loves her, and because [for the most part] doesn't make him unhappy, (not to mention that there isn't one other person on canvas now who he could be hooked up with...well....Myrtle..but her social calendar is too full....in a stretch maybe an honest Hannah). I wasn't privy to the romance of Zach and Maria, and wondered what would happen if.....so, here are my questions.

During the Madden trial, would she (Maria) have trusted Zach, without question? 
You liked the pairing?
She had too much baggage to be attentive to Zach's needs?
Given a choice of characters on AMC canvas, (when Zach came on the scene), who would you have chosen to be his love interest? If no one on this canvas, what character on another show would you see best, being good for/right for/compatible with Zach?

I think Carly(GH), Olivia (GL), real Marty (OLTL)

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye4kaye
Zach will/would do anything. Will sacrifice all. It is, I feel, an innate sensibility of Zach's character to be loyal and giving. My belief in and of this is 100 percent. I don't (at this point) have the reciprocal conviction regarding Kendall. Don't get me wrong, I like their moments together,(their chemistry is off the charts), I like her because Zach loves her, and because [for the most part] doesn't make him unhappy, (not to mention that there isn't one other person on canvas now who he could be hooked up with...well....Myrtle..but her social calendar is too full....in a stretch maybe an honest Hannah). I wasn't privy to the romance of Zach and Maria, and wondered what would happen if.....so, here are my questions.

During the Madden trial, would she (Maria) have trusted Zach, without question?
You liked the pairing?
Given a choice of characters on AMC canvas, (when Zach came on the scene), who would you have chosen to be his love interest? If no one on this canvas, what character on another show would you see best, being good for/right for/compatible with Zach?

Thought-provoking post, jaye. I see Zach exactly the same way you do, because he has been ready and willing and able to sacrifice his own deepest desires for those he loves. I've seen it and felt it.

In answer to your questions:

Maria most definitely would not have trusted Zach without question. She and Kendall have a lot in common in this regard. Kendall believed Tad's lies about Zach killing Madden, and Maria believed Ethan's lies about Zach killing Edmund.

I thought Zach and Maria had tons of potential, but AMC completely squandered it almost from day one, and then they blew it into smithereens. And I was not reticent about expressing my very negative feelings about Maria because of it. Maria did have a lot of baggage - but I actually thought Zach and Sam at least had potential to have a relationship.

It didn't take me long after Zach came to PV to want him with Kendall and there isn't much other option on the show right now. I can't and won't accept that my beloved Patrick is dead, so I would not want Marty with Zach but if it happened I would probably overcome that in a nanosecond. As for Carly... I worship Kendall compared to the way I feel about Carly. Just ugh, loathsome (and I never use this word) skank IMO.

Auntinette

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 

I was just getting into AMC about the time of the Babe/Bianca Miranda baby switch, so didn't get into the Zach & Maria match.  He didn't catch my eye until I started noticing the way Kendall's eye's seemed to sparkle whenever she reacted to him and one day I sat back and went OMG.  (I know - slow teach)  I wiped off my chin and have been mesmerized ever since.  I hadn't discovered this site, so had no way of going back and watching every move he made since uttering his first line.  (THANKS LADIES)  I don't watch any of the rest of the shows, so I cannot judge the others listed, but if there ever comes a time that the character of Kendall is recast, it would be interesting to see Susan Haskell take over the roll or cast as a different character and watch the on-screen chemistry come alive.  I didn't get to see them as Patrick and Marty and feel as though I have lost out on a great romantic story because I couldn't.    

searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Christy, exactly what I was going to say, including the opinion of Carly, LOL.
Thanks for saving me the time

DonnaK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
" I can't and won't accept that my beloved Patrick is dead, so I would not want Marty with Zach but if it happened I would probably overcome that in a nanosecond."

Christy, I am with you in this thought 100%. I don't watch OLTL very often anymore, just enough to keep up with the current storylines but, it's funny, but whenever the NuMarty mentions Patrick, I hang on every word as if somehow it will bring him back to me. I know that's pretty sad, Patrick was, after all, a fictional character but he (and Thorsten) changed my life in a lot of wonderful ways.
I miss Patrick very much. He had such passion. He came into my life just when I needed him. (Thank God and our beloved Mr. Kaye.) I'm glad I have you ladies to say this to. Anyone else would think I was just a bit touched.

Donna

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye4kaye
Zach will/would do anything. Will sacrifice all. It is, I feel, an innate sensibility of Zach's character to be loyal and giving. My belief in and of this is 100 percent. I don't (at this point) have the reciprocal conviction regarding Kendall. Don't get me wrong, I like their moments together,(their chemistry is off the charts), I like her because Zach loves her, and because [for the most part] doesn't make him unhappy, (not to mention that there isn't one other person on canvas now who he could be hooked up with...well....Myrtle..but her social calendar is too full....in a stretch maybe an honest Hannah). I wasn't privy to the romance of Zach and Maria, and wondered what would happen if.....so, here are my questions.

During the Madden trial, would she (Maria) have trusted Zach, without question? 
You liked the pairing?
Given a choice of characters on AMC canvas, (when Zach came on the scene), who would you have chosen to be his love interest? If no one on this canvas, what character on another show would you see best, being good for/right for/compatible with Zach?

Marty from (OLTL) all the way. AMC should highjack Marty from Lanview, bring in the original actor ( ) and hook her up with Zach PRONTO!!!

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 

[Marty from (OLTL) all the way. AMC should highjack Marty from Lanview, bring in the original actor ( ) and hook her up with Zach PRONTO!!!]

Yes!  The character is already on her way out of town, so let her relocate to Pine Valley portrayed by the beloved original Marty.  Oh, what a story they could write!

lurknomore

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I love Zendall and Kendall.

That being said, other characters I could potentially see Zach Slater with:

Alexis Davis from GH; and
Elizabeth Webber Spencer from GH.

Both are strong characters, love deeply, and are very loyal to those they love; and each actress has an energy I would really like to see with TK.

NLG is an extremely intelligent actress who has chemistry with most of her costars on GH; she can be very funny, and Alexis can be both incredibly intelligent and neurotic at the same time. It could be a fascinating battle.

BH is not as strong an actress, but she's a chemistry machine - she always, ALWAYS finds a way to work with a male scene partner; she's gorgeous; and she has a wounded/ old soul persona that would be lovely to watch with Zach. 

jaye4kaye

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurknomore
I love Zendall and Kendall.

That being said, other characters I could potentially see Zach Slater with:

Alexis Davis from GH; and
Elizabeth Webber Spencer from GH.

Both are strong characters, love deeply, and are very loyal to those they love; and each actress has an energy I would really like to see with TK.

NLG is an extremely intelligent actress who has chemistry with most of her costars on GH; she can be very funny, and Alexis can be both incredibly intelligent and neurotic at the same time. It could be a fascinating battle.

BH is not as strong an actress, but she's a chemistry machine - she always, ALWAYS finds a way to work with a male scene partner; she's gorgeous; and she has a wounded/ old soul persona that would be lovely to watch with Zach. 

Lurkenomore...I completely forgot about Alexis. Thanks. I like her a lot..in spite of her dalliance with Ric.
jaye4kaye

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 

"It didn't take me long after Zach came to PV to want him with Kendall and there isn't much other option on the show right now. I can't and won't accept that my beloved Patrick is dead, so I would not want Marty with Zach but if it happened I would probably overcome that in a nanosecond. As for Carly... I worship Kendall compared to the way I feel about Carly. Just ugh, loathsome (and I never use this word) skank IMO."

LMAO...Christy, you slay me.

Here's a little ditty. I watched OLTL during Patrick's too short a time on the canvas. I loved him. I loved his hair, I loved his poetry. He was a real Renaissance man. I loved his chemistry with Marty (I remember their first scene in the pub, when he kissed her)..I was hooked. I hated it when she married boring Dillon!!

But, here's the thing...they were second to my main reason for watching. I was a (Roger) Todd fiend..(though I hated him with Blair), and I hate Blair as much as you hate Carly..ahem..skank!! I absolutely hated that Patrick did the *beast with two head* thingy with Blair, (though I was sad when Brennan died....wow, was that ten years ago when Cassie was pregnant with her actor son?!!). I remember those days for the rich, fantastic story telling then. Boy do I miss that!!

zks

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
It also didn't take me long after Zach  came to PV to want him with Kendall.  Kendall showed him how to love.  He said, "You made me feel a love I never even knew existed."

Real life husbands and wives do not work well in soaps, remember Blair and Max, Edmund and Maria and even Patrick and Marty.

Mary

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zks
It also didn't take me long after Zach  came to PV to want him with Kendall.  Kendall showed him how to love.  He said, "You made me feel a love I never even knew existed."

Real life husbands and wives do not work well in soaps, remember Blair and Max, Edmund and Maria and even Patrick and Marty.

Yes,i remember all those couples you named,and sorry,i just have to disagree,this is JMO,but i think alll those couples worked great together and especially Patrick&Marty their Love story was the BEST.And my fav of alll time.And Edmond&Maria i thought were a really popular couple years back on AMC.

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zks
It also didn't take me long after Zach came to PV to want him with Kendall. Kendall showed him how to love. He said, "You made me feel a love I never even knew existed."

I remember all of them quite well, and I couldn't disagree more if I tried - especially about Patrick and Marty.  The facts are that Patrick and Marty were a huge hit together from day one and remained extremely popular throughout their entire storyline (and for years afterwards, and they're still popular.). I didn't even have any particular interest in the other two couples, but I remember them being popular, especially Edmund and Maria, and Blair and Max were never really written as being a romantic lovey dovey duo.

Gina

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaK
I'm glad I have you ladies to say this to. Anyone else would think I was just a bit touched.

Donna

All of us who were around back in those days are more than "a bit touched."  Thorsten literally transformed our lives in so many ways.  He changed our expectations of what television drama (I won't even say soap opera) should be, showed us how a great actor grabs our hearts, and drew us all together in friendship with the common bond of our love for his work.  For some of us, that bond has become lifelong bonds of true friendship - with each other, and with him.  I believe he is one of those rare people who seem to catalyze change, who bring brightness into the world with his mortal presence.  He and Susan made magic for us almost every day.  And Patrick's joy in living and zest for life made me wish I could sit in one of Professor Thornhart's literature classes and study the bard, just so I could bask in the glow of being near him.

Oy.  If that means I'm a bit touched - cart me away. 

I vote to bring Susan in as a brand new character - one without so much of the Kane baggage - to be Zach's love interest!

Gina

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zks

Patrick and Marty were one of the most romantic couples of all time. 

I can't even answer this, I'm aghast that you included them in your list.

jam

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zks

Have to add my two cents here.  Maria and Edmund were an extrememly popular couple back in the day.  I absolutely loved them together.  What ruined their on-screen romance was the break up of their real marriage AND the introduction of a new character . . . Zach Slater.

About Patrick and Marty, from watching the clips on here and from what I remember from watching OLTL from time to time back in the day, they are probably the most romantic couple I have ever watched.  I can't even listen to them talk about Patrick being dead on OLTL.  (In my "touched" mind, he is not dead).  Even ten years later I can't imagine Marty with anyone esle, even the fake Marty.
Dolly

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
For me, since Marty is not on OLTL, I don't have to worry about Patrick being dead. As far as I'm concerned, they're still in Ireland.   <---Lil' gift to PTB.

I don't know if this is a fact or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if TK and SH might not want to work together. They live together, have children. I adore my husband of 26 years, but I wouldn't want to be with him 24/7. JMO, though.
kzinlove06

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly
I don't know if this is a fact or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if TK and SH might not want to work together. They live together, have children. I adore my husband of 26 years, but I wouldn't want to be with him 24/7. JMO, though.

LMAO Dolly!!! There is a reason why "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

But as a long-time DOOL watcher, I would caution fans about what they ask for. It may sound lovely in theory to have Susan Haskell join AMC and be romantically paired once again with TK, but it seems the current genre of soapwriters can take a pairing that was beyond fabulous 10, 15, 20 years ago, bring them back, have you all giddy with anticipation and then just ruin everything.

It might be far better to live in the past, enjoy the memories and the clips than to have a newer incarnation appear on your screen and have the writers tarnish not only their current shine, but their past one as well with atrocious storytelling.
jaye4kaye

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 

Quote:
For me, since Marty is not on OLTL, I don't have to worry about Patrick being dead. As far as I'm concerned, they're still in Ireland.   <---Lil' gift to PTB.

Hello Dolly....it's so nice to have you back where...oh, got carried away for a moment there (I'll be singing that song all day now!!)...anyway, at least one actress agrees with you.

On ATWT, character named (Emily) is married to character named (Holden) in real life. On the show, they have had very little interaction. She recently returned from maternity leave (had their third child) and was told by the producer that her and her husband would be working together. She said (in a magazine interview), she asked that they NOT work together!
DonnaK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Gina wrote:
Quote:
I believe he is one of those rare people who seem to catalyze change, who bring brightness into the world with his mortal presence.
and
Quote:
Oy.  If that means I'm a bit touched - cart me away. 

Jam wrote:
Quote:
I can't even listen to them talk about Patrick being dead on OLTL.  (In my "touched" mind, he is not dead).

Let's face it, Ladies, Thorsten has touched all of our lives in the best of ways. (His big bear hugs are one of my favorite ways!)

Donna

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzinlove06

Quote:

LMAO Dolly!!! There is a reason why "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

But as a long-time DOOL watcher, I would caution fans about what they ask for. It may sound lovely in theory to have Susan Haskell join AMC and be romantically paired once again with TK, but it seems the current genre of soapwriters can take a pairing that was beyond fabulous 10, 15, 20 years ago, bring them back, have you all giddy with anticipation and then just ruin everything.

It might be far better to live in the past, enjoy the memories and the clips than to have a newer incarnation appear on your screen and have the writers tarnish not only their current shine, but their past one as well with atrocious storytelling.

Patrick and Marty had about 6 months of decent writing on OLTL - and then Michael Malone left, and OLTL was afflicted with two succeeding regimes - Leah Laiman/Jean Passanante/Peggy Sloan (popularly known as the Three Witches From Macbeth) and then Claire Labine (huge success on GH and huge failure on OLTL) - who turned peace-loving Patrick into a teenage terrorist. Three sets of writers in under two years - the second and third sets every bit if not more destructive than what's on AMC now. There were numerous very vocal protests against the writing back then. It certainly wasn't the writing they receive that kept Patrick and Marty so popular.

It's only natural to speculate about what I'd like to see, and as one who wanted Zach and Kendall together for a long time in advance, I didn't appreciate being told that would never happen or all the reasons why it wouldn't work if it did. So when it comes to any other speculation of mine, I'll take my chances.

Diva

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 

Very interesting read ladies. Let me add my two cents. It is very interesting to speculate what pairings are great, unfortunately in many cases everything depends on the inevitable and that is the writing. There is of course the chemistry that exists between certain actors and that too is a determining factor whether a pairing succeeds or fails.  Zach and Kendall's pairing I  love despite the many trials and tribulations brought on by the different writers that are writing their story.

If I had to choose an actress and character that I would like to see Zach with other than Kendall it would be Anna Lavery played by Finola Hughes.  It would be the Anna Lavery of GH of course, not the Anna Lavery that appeared on AMC and married David Hayward.  IMO AMC ruined Anna's character in that s/l. I loved the fiery spy Anna of GH.  I think that Zach and Anna could have fabulous international intrigue adventures.

Let me correct Anna's name. She is originally Anna Devane but she was married to Duke Lavery then to Robert Scorpio. Her actual name should be Anna Devane Scorpio Lavery Scorpio Hayward.... I think. Hate that name Lavery.

kzinlove06

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy
It's only natural to speculate about what I'd like to see, and as one who wanted Zach and Kendall together for a long time in advance, I didn't appreciate being told that would never happen or all the reasons why it wouldn't work if it did. So when it comes to any other speculation of mine, I'll take my chances.

You know, when I wrote that earlier, the couple that was playing in my mind was Patch and Kayla. I loved them, raced home to see them everyday and was beyond excited to hear of their return a year ago. And then it happened..... they came back. And ever since I've been Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

So I was trying to think of a couple that I love/loved, like you love Patrick and Marty, so that I could understand. That's when I realized that my love for Doug and Julie would be similar. (Sorry that I keep using DOOL actors as examples but that's the show I've watched since I was 6.)

I will watch Doug and Julie any day, any time, doing the most inane things or reciting the most ridiculous dialogue. And if they were to bust out a showtune or sing "O Danny Boy".... yeah... I'd be a puddle on the floor. And obviously, I'll still watch them through the hack of just about any writer if I continued to watch them through JER's reign of terror!
zks

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Sorry.  I didn't mean we didn't love them together.  I loved all these couples together, especially Patrick and Marty.  What I meant was TPTB do not like to keep married couples together on soaps.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Apparently I didn't word that correctly.
I was trying to say that Zach and Kendall work!  I'd hate to see them broken up for any reason.
Mary

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zks
Sorry.  I didn't mean we didn't love them together.  I loved all these couples together, especially Patrick and Marty.  What I meant was TPTB do not like to keep married couples together on soaps.
I was trying to say that Zach and Kendall work!  I'd hate to see them broken up for any reason.

That is a shame if they don't like to keep married couples together on soaps.Susan&TK were not married when their soap characters P&M were together.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zks

I really thought that there might have been a misunderstanding here because the couples you mention were extremely popular.  Glad to have gotten that straighten out.  Thanks!!  June

Puppetwrangler

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 

There were a few people a while back who suggested Skye Chandler Buchanan Quartermaine (have I got that right?) might be a good match for Zach, if another one was ever needed. She has the advantage of being Myrtle's granddaughter and she has helped run a small casino before. (And wouldn't that frost Adam?)    I always thought Anna Devane was pretty cool, too.

slmkita

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 

As others have said, Maria would not have trusted Zach completely.  I never liked that pairing and found it forced -- two people who magically show up at the same time and just happen to have had a past relatinonship when Maria had amnesia and thought she was someone else.  As for Zach and Kendall -- from the moment he popped up in the story with Erica and her alternate life in Las Vegas, I was like "Get that man away from Erica!"    As soon as Kendall arrived on the scene, that was it for me.  Even though I was a Kendall/Ryan fan at one time, Zach and Kendall were the couple for me as soon as they shared a scene!  I agree that the writers really need to have Kendall show her devotion to Zach the same as he does for her.  She needs to give him 100% and stop lying to him and keeping things from him.  Of course, he keeps things from her as well, but he is totally devoted to her, and it's about time the writers start writing her as equally devoted ... then again, that would be too much to hope for, wouldn't it!

lurknomore

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
I would be really disappointed if they brought Skye back and paired her with Zach for a few reasons:

2. Skye is just as insecure as Kendall and would in no way be an upgrade when it comes to the things people don't like about Kendall.

3. Skye bores me. She's desperate for a man in a way I find profoundly uninteresting. You know how Kendall was when she was chasing Ryan? Skye's like that. All the time. And it's never, EVER pretty.

searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurknomore
I would be really disappointed if they brought Skye back and paired her with Zach for a few reasons:

2. Skye is just as insecure as Kendall and would in no way be an upgrade when it comes to the things people don't like about Kendall.  AND EXTREMELY SELF-CENTERED!  Dr. Alan Q may be alive if she wasn't so intent on covering for, and helping her mobster hubby!

3. Skye bores me. She's desperate for a man in a way I find profoundly uninteresting. You know how Kendall was when she was chasing Ryan? Skye's like that. All the time. And it's never, EVER pretty.

I will add one more reason:  I will never understand her FEELINGS for the ruthless mobster who fathered her child.  Any girl who can be THAT stupid can not appreciate the finer qualities of Zach Slater, and does not belong with him. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.