Message Board

Main Section
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ninekaronas

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just a little one-shot quickie inspired by Monday's show.

Oh, Baby!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
You're a great dad to one,
Think you can handle two?

Zach looked up from the card and into the eyes of his wife. She said nothing. He then picked up the small box that had been placed next to his dinner plate. Inside he found a tiny pink bow. Again he looked at his wife. "Kendall?" he said softly. She nodded and waited for it to sink in. She didn't have to wait long.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "Yes, I'm sure," she answered. "Are you happy about it?" she wondered aloud. He slid his chair back and held out his hand to her. She came around the table and settled herself on his lap. "Of course I'm happy about it, Kendall. And terrified." He took a deep breath and stared at something over Kendall's shoulder. She refused to let him go down that path.

"Oh no you don't," she said, holding his face in her hands. "Look at me, Zach." She waited until she had his full attention before continuing. "There is no curse, no reason you can't and won't be the same great father to our little girl as you are to Spike. Do you hear me?" she said, looking into his eyes.

He met her gaze and nodded. Then he gifted her with a huge grin. "Little girl, huh? So you've already decided?" he said. "Oh definitely. We have a son, naturally a daughter comes next," she said matter of factly. "It's what I want, Zach. And I always get what I want." He tightened his hold on her and pulled her down for a kiss. "Thank you, Kendall. You have, once again, made me the happiest man in the world."

-------------------------

Zach came home to a very familiar scene: his very pregnant wife sitting on the couch stuffing her face. He was always interested to see what strange - and usually nauseating - combinations she came up with. So far, tuna sandwiches with grape jelly was his favorite. She was now seven months pregnant, and was fast losing her sense of humor, so he knew he had to tread lightly.

"Honey, I'm home," he said as he kissed her on the cheek. "I can see that," she barked, then immediately apologized. He waved her off and sat down beside her. "Don't worry about it. So tell me, what are we eating today?" "Nothing too weird this time," she replied as she dipped a fat, ripe strawberry into the jar of peanut butter she was holding. He watched in amazement as she repeated the process on two more strawberries before he found his voice.

"Right. Not too weird. Listen," he said as he forced his gaze from her hands to her face, "whatever happened to pickles and ice cream?" "That's an old wives tale, Zach. And so cliche," she said exasperated. "What's wrong with this? Strawberries and chocolate. Good. Peanut butter and chocolate. Good. Why not strawberries and peanut butter?" she reasoned.

"So where's the chocolate?" he asked, already dreading the answer. "I ate it earlier ... with the pickles." He groaned. "Please, Kendall, let me get you some ice cream or something. Something normal." Then he realized what he'd said and waited for the explosion.

"Normal! Did you say normal?" she shrieked. Ice cream will just make me fatter than I already am. Is that what you want, Zach? Do you like being married to a beached whale?" He didn't dare laugh. "You're not fat, Kendall. You're pregnant. And more beautiful than ever," he soothed. "Well my closet says I'm fat. And my swollen feet agree." He smiled patiently, but said nothing. "Will you get me a Coke from the fridge, Zach?" she asked sweetly. "No. Soft drinks are bad for you and the baby. Nothing but sugar," he said gently. "Fine then, make it a Diet Coke!" she spat. Zach knew it was time to retreat.

"How about if I fix you a nice, healthy salad?" he said as he walked into the kitchen. "Zach, if you attempt to feed me and our daughter salad, you'll be wearing it to bed," she said calmly. "I'd rather wear you to bed," he said with a wicked smile. "Ha! As if you could. I bet you can't even lift me anymore." Zach once again resisted the urge to laugh. He wanted to make her feel better, not fuel her mood swings. He only wished she could see how beautiful she really was.

"Don't be silly, Kendall. Of course I can lift you," he said as he picked her up. He groaned under her weight and immediately placed her back on the couch. Then he straightened up and rubbed his lower back. She gasped. He laughed. "Sorry. I couldn't resist." He kissed her until she stopped frowning. "Come on, ladies. It's time for bed," he said as he lifted her easily and carried her to the bedroom.

"Time? What do you mean it's time? Time for what?" Zach stammered. It was the middle of the night and he was still mostly asleep. He wasn't sure if Kendall's soft voice was real or part of a dream. Until he looked at her. The look on her face woke him up instantly. She was scared, and she was in pain. She needed him.

"All right sweetheart. It's okay. We're ready for this," he said as he rose from the bed and started getting dressed. He walked over and helped Kendall to her feet, pulling her into his arms. "There's nothing to be afraid of, Kendall. You've done this before, remember?" he asked as he rubbed her back. "Zach, I was in a coma for God's sake! I don't remember any of it." She suddenly doubled over when a contraction hit her.

"Okay, enough chit chat," she said through clenched teeth. Time for the drugs. Get me to the hospital." Zach swung into action. He helped Kendall into her robe, gathered her in his arms and headed out the door. "Zach, I can walk," she said against his neck. "I know. I don't want you to. Let me carry you." "Okay. What about the suitcase?" she asked, remembering the checklist they were supposed to use to make sure everything was taken care of. "Already in the car. We put it there days ago, remember?" He felt her nod, then relax.

"What about phone calls? We need to call the doctor and my mom. Oh God, Zach! Spike! We forgot Spike!" He laughed softly. "Spike's with Ryan, Kendall. You didn't forget, you planned ahead. And I'll call the doctor on the way to the hospital. We'll call Erica a little bit later. Once we know this is it for sure." She raised her head and looked into his face. "You're right. Don't need her hanging around too soon. Our little princess will never come out," she said with a tired smile.

Then she was hit with another contraction. "What do you mean if this is it. Trust me, this had better be it. I mean it," she added when she saw that he was trying not to laugh. "Dammit, why are you so calm?" she asked. "Don't you realize what's happening here?" He stroked her face as he pulled the car out of the driveway. "Yes, I do. My beautiful wife is about to give me another precious gift. It will be okay, Kendall. I'll be with you every second. I promise," he said.

Zach barked out orders as he rushed through the emergency room doors, Kendall in his arms. Her contractions were coming closer together and he couldn't stand to see her in such pain. He demanded a wheelchair and an epidural.

"Don't worry, Mr. Slater," the nurse said as they led Kendall upstairs. "Childbirth is the most natural thing in the world. It happens everyday." "Well, it doesn't happen to us everyday. And I won't have my wife in such pain. Get the needle and get it right now!" he ordered. Kendall squeezed his hand in appreciation.

"You'll have to wait out here for a moment, Mr. Slater," the nurse said as she wheeled Kendall into a room. "Give us a minute to get everything set up, then I'll come for you." He nodded and bent over Kendall. "Okay, Mom. Here we go. I'll be in as soon as they let me." She smiled at him, mouthed "I love you," and touched her lips. He leaned in and kissed her gently. "I love you, too" he said softly."

"Drugs! Get her the damn drugs," he said to the nurse's retreating back. He finally let out the breath he'd been holding since Kendall woke him up. He decided it was time to call Erica, but he never made it to the phone. He passed out cold standing right outside Kendall's room.

"If you tell my wife about this, I'll buy this hospital just so I can fire you," Zach said warily to the nurse standing over him. "Can I go in now?" The nurse hid her smile and stepped aside so Zach could enter Kendall's room. "Right this way, Mr. Slater. Is there anything else you need?" He scribbled something down on the first scrap of paper he could find. "Yes, please call this number and tell Erica Kane she's about to become a grandmother ... again."

"Last push, sweetheart. That's what the doctor said, and we're damn well gonna hold him to it." Zach smoothed Kendall's hair back away from her face and squeezed her hand. "Ready to say hello to our little girl?" "I'm ready, Zach," she said. She was more tired than she'd ever been, but also so happy. This is just how she'd dreamed bringing a baby into the world should be. It's what she wanted for Spike, only Ryan would have been there, too. She was very relieved that he wasn't here now ... that he wasn't a part of this. This moment was just for her and Zach. She gave one last push with a smile on her face and then laid back, listening to the beautiful sound of her baby's cry.

"You did it, Kendall," Zach said as he held the tiny little girl in his arms. She was wrapped in a soft pink blanket and she smelled good. "She's beautiful, just like her mother." Kendall reached out and Zach placed the baby in her arms. Then he climbed into the bed beside her and held them both. Family. His family. Something he never thought he wanted had become the most precious thing in his life. Once again he wondered how he'd gotten here. He fell asleep wishing Spike was there with them.

Kendall looked down at her sleeping husband and felt such warmth spread through her. She wanted to hold him and never let him go. "Well, little one," she said into her daughter's sleeping face, "you've worn your daddy out already." She drifted off to sleep dreaming of their future. This was one princess who would definitely have her happily ever after.

THE END

Banner by Sharon
zendall44

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

Awww 9K!  Great story!  Perfect!  You are a terrific writer.  Thank you.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Thanks 9K - I enjoy reading your stories.................

Ande
teresaplatt

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
OHHHHHHHHHHHH,9K that was the BEST ONE YET. zach fainting was so funny, see if only the writers would give us stuff like this, they would keep the ratings and the fans HIGH. and i so want a little girl for them. I LOVE TK.
Puppetwrangler

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Thanks, 9K.  Loved it.

tkaddicted

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

9K, what a wonderful little story.  Perfect for my break.  Now I can go back to work smiling.  Thanks.

Thanks for the banner, Diva!
Granny

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Just what the doctor ordered!  Thank YOU, 9K!  Charming, absolutely charming!  Why can't the writers give us beautiful stories as what you and the others on this board write?  Thanks again, 9K.  (And now you know what is next....  More Please!!!)  Granny

Thanks, Sharon, for putting Zach and Kendall in my backyard. Thanks, Karen, for attaching this to my posts.
Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

I am, as always these days, late to the party....but I totally love it!!!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 

Thanks 9K....Great story...

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.