Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
Gina

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #1 

I had the incredibly good fortune of living close enough that I could attend the premiere of Thorsten's movie, "Occupant," tonight in Manhattan.  The cinema is cosy, with only about 100 seats which were mostly filled by folks attending the Gotham Film Festival.  It was my first experience at a film festival and had no idea what to expect.

Imagine my surprise when I was greeted just inside the theater by these two familiar folks: 
Susan looked younger and more beautiful than ever, and Thorsten was his ruggedly handsome, irreverent and funny self.  I introduced them to a buddy of mine from the hospital and then it was time for a few photos and then we all went in for the movie. 

Let me say this: Thorsten was the absolute best part of the movie.  Joe was the only character with depth and a true mystery about him.  I still don't know if he was a bad guy or good guy, if he was behind the whole thing or just a guy trying to grease the wheels of life. And the credit for it all (plus some fabulous comic relief) goes to Thorsten's acting and nothing else. It wasn't the writing, it was the subtle nuances of his expressions that kept me guessing the whole movie.  Every time Joe came on the screen, you expected him to reveal something about himself, but the mystery was what made him so intensely fascinating.  And when you walk out of the movie, you're still scratching your head, trying to figure Joe out.  From beneath a mustache even Tom Selleck would envy, Joe spoke with a generic eastern European accent that reminded me of some of my relatives from the old country.  He moved like a cat, smoked like an old pro, referred to himself in the third person, knew everything about everyone in the building, and could get you whatever you need.  "I take care of you... and you take care of Joe."  The hair on the back of my neck stood up, but I was never quite sure if it was the sexy rumbling growl of Thorsten's baritone or the possibility of danger lurking in Joe's eyes.

I'm not going to give spoilers here (with the exception of this:  if you're a cat lover, you may want to close your eyes and ears and go "la-la-la-la-la" during a disgusting 2 minutes toward the end of the film) and want you all to enjoy it as much as I did.  While the plot was fairly predictable if you've looked at 15 seconds of any of the trailers, it did have a shocking denouement that made the audience gasp.  But the remainder of the cast and characters played their roles about as plain vanilla as you can get - but Thorsten was the dark chocolate fudge ripple toasted almond surprise. 

zenderella

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Gina - you lucky, lucky woman you!!  Thank-you for the detailed review of the evening and movie - and the beautiful pictures!  Will there be reviews of the movie in the NY papers tomorrow - too bad they didn't let YOU write it!!
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #3 
Gina, thanks for the great recap/movie review, it felt like I was there. And your photos are to die for. I'm so glad you were able to go to to the premiere since Kathy and I had stuff to do here we couldn't get out of - and I can't wait to see mysterious Joe when Netflix does its thing!

Selma

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Gina, thank you SO much for the great recap and those marvelous pictures!  I wish that I could have been there but your marvelous recap made me feel like I was right there with you.   xoxox

Love,
Selma

Jordan, Logan, Tristan, Connor, and Olivia

Alina

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Wow Gina, sounds like a wonderful night!  Thorsten & Susan look gorgeous, as per usual.  Your movie review has made my impatience to see the Occupant intensify X1000. I can't wait til I can get to see it either on Netflix or Itunes.   I'm also fighting a big urge right now to bang my head against the wall for not being there myself. 

Thanks for the recap, the review and the wonderful pictures!

ETA:  Just saw the rest of Gina's pictures...EEEEEEEEEEE!  Damn, I love those two! 

~No TK on AMC, No Me. Wherever he goes, I go!~

Gina

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm just kicking myself for not bringing my camera but I was late getting out of the house yesterday (almost missed my train) and I forgot the camera, then I left for the film straight from the hospital.  There were so many flashes going off it was hard to get a good shot that wasn't over- or under-exposed. I took these with my iPhone!  All hail, the Techno Gods!

AnneM

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Great review and wonderful photos, Gina!  Glad you had such a good time!  "Occupant" has been on my Netflix queue for a while now, and I can't wait to see it!   
Thorsten and Susan look incredible....movie premiers agree with them! 

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Love your review Gina and your pics of TK & SH thanks so much for sharing....
[QUOTE : Gina] - But the remainder of the cast and characters played their roles about as plain vanilla as you can get - but Thorsten was the dark chocolate fudge ripple toasted almond surprise.

EEEE!!!! that's Thorsten!!....He brings MORE than anyone to the 'Acting Table' .....Let's hope, it get's him seriously noticed by other film Directors? 

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 

great photos of Thorsten and Susan, glad you enjoyed the film Gina, very jealous, you go to go

kj_wilson

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 

Thanks for the review and the gorgeous pics!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 

Oh I'm sure it was a fabulous night.  Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pics and your great review. 

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 

Thanks so much Gina for the great pictures and wonderful review.  Can't wait to see the movie.

Mary

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 

Gina,thanks so much for sharing your great review&GORGEOUS pics of TK&Susan.Glad you got to see them both&enjoyed the movie,now i really can't wait to see it.Hope all is well with you,have a great day Gina.Big HUGS to you.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 

Thanks for the review and photos Gina.  I can't wait to see this movie!

Thanks Fil!
searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
OMG, what great pics and what a thrill it must have been for you to see the movie in such great company!  Thank you Gina for the spoiler-free review.  I was watching 1408 (John Cusack) the other day and all I kept thinking about was Occupant, LOL.  I so can't wait to see the movie myself.  Just like the only character that mattered on AMC was one Zach Slater, my eyes will be focused during this movie on a very mysterious, ruggedly handsome Joe The Doorman!

Cindyb

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
So glad you had your cell phone, Gina.  TK and Susan look great, as do you!
Thanks for sharing.
peggy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 

Thank you so much Gina - Peggy

Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 

Thanks so much for your review and pics Gina.

I watched the movie a little earlier today and I'm with you, I'm still wondering the same things about Joe.  I plan to watch again after things quieten down tonight.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 

I'm downloading the movie from Amazon right now.  I went ahead and bought it.  Here's the kicker - the price listed was 14.99.  But I got a 5.00 discount - it only cost me 9.99!  I don't know if that's because I have that Amazon Prime thing or not but the discount/promotion wasn't advertised.  If you're thinking about or have a way to see it some other way that's good but if you don't have any other on demand services, might want to check it out.  The Occupant website lists all the streaming services for the movie, and Netflix is NOT the only game in town!

Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and your mascara runs!

Banner by Fil
Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 

Kay, it must be the Amazon Prime thing because it charged me 14.99....and well worth the price!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann
Kay, it must be the Amazon Prime thing because it charged me 14.99....and well worth the price!

Yeah, I was prepared to pay the 14.99, no problem lol!  So I was tickled to get the discount   I'm planning to watch it this afternoon when I get back from running errands.

Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and your mascara runs!

Banner by Fil
pah

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I just watched "Occupant" again this morning and enjoyed it even more this second time around.  Knowing the plot and what to expect, I was able to concentrate more on looking for evidence of what was really happening, which made it more fun. I found the expression on Thorsten's face at the very end especially intriguing and significant and open to interpretation. Of course I found Joe to be the most interesting character in the movie, but how could he not be? Look who was playing him!!!
BeStillMyHeart

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I just watched the movie Occupant for the first and last time. TK was fabulous as usual, but the movie was so predictable. Joe is still a mystery! Maybe an Occupant 2 with Joe returning and we get more info about him is in the works?! Poor cat!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.