Message Board

Main Section
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Cheri

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Lately, the storyline (or lack thereof) surrounding the mixed up, messed up couples in Zach's life are reminding me of a very poor imitation of Shakespeare's comedies. Those witty, baudy, clever tales generally involved mixed up, messed up couples who came out right in the end... but I'm not sure that the scribblers have any clue as to how the couples are going to turn out, or who anyone is going to end up with.

Zach and Kendall, Ryan and Annie, Aidan and Greenlee... each member of this group has some type of relationship with every other member of this group. However, each member of this group is also an outsider to some subset of the group. Annie started it on yesterday's show -- Ryan has had sex with Kendall, Greenlee and Annie; Aidan has had sex with Kendall and Greenlee but has been friends with Annie; and Zach has only been with Kendall, but shares close friendships with both Greenlee and Annie, although each of those friendships is quite different and intimate in its own way.

Kendall has had sex with Aidan, had sex with and gotten engaged twice to Ryan, had sex with and gotten married twice to Zach. Greenlee has married Ryan, had sex with Aidan and has a significant relationship with Zach as they faced death and won. Annie has married Ryan, built a familial relationship with Zach based on co-parenting a spouse's child, and built a friendship with Aidan based on living in the same house and his relationship with her once best friend Di.

Kendall shares a son with Ryan and a son with Zach; Annie shares a daughter with Ryan; Greenlee became pregnant with, but miscarried, Ryan's child. Only one of those four children were created by actual sex, all of the others were conceived through artificial insemination.

Each of the men has at one time or another been both friends and enemies to each other; each man has at one time or another been both friends and enemies to each of the women; each woman has at one time or another been both friends and enemies to each other.

Convoluted much? Then add in the impediments that each couple is currently facing.

Kendall and Aidan had sex while Zach and Greenlee were fighting for their lives. This is a SECRET. Because it is a SECRET, it is spoken about incessantly, usually in a public place, so that it will be easier for someone to eavesdrop and discover the SECRET. Because Kendall and Aidan share this SECRET, they are paranoid and suspicious, and any little comment or action made by either of their significant others can be blown out of proportion to indicate that they might also have a SECRET.

Zach and Greenlee spent five weeks in close confinement, hating each other and facing imminent death. The longer they were there and the more desperate their situation became, the less important their hatred became. Soon they were baring their souls to the only other person that existed in their universe... and they helped each other "die." This led to a closeness that they neither sought nor expected, but it was profound and they found that once rescued they could not stop. Because of this new intimacy between Zach and Greenlee, Aidan and Kendall become insecure and start lying and hiding things and worrying about the SECRET.

Ryan and Annie have been supportive of the other four through their ordeals. But in saving Kendall's life, Ryan is grievously injured and suffers the loss of his memory and with it the loss of his love for Annie. Suddenly Annie and Ryan are no longer the stable couple and their fracture affects the other members of the group. Ryan wants Kendall again even though he knows she's married to Zach and he's married to Annie. Greenlee is jealous that Ryan can't remember loving her, even though she's in love with Aidan and shares a deep emotional connection to Zach. Annie is hurt at Ryan's failure to love her and relies on Zach's friendship. Zach is reminded of a time when he and Ryan were enemies and Ryan wanted Kendall, and Aidan is reminded of a time when he and Ryan were enemies and Ryan was married to Greenlee. And throughout it all, the SECRET festers.

Confused yet?

Unlike Shakespeare, the scribblers don't appear to have any clue as to how this is going to turn out or who is going to end up together. Right now, there's absolutely no clear indication. There are hints in each episode that any one of those women could end up with any one of those men... between the SECRET, the paranoia, the friendships, the love, the enmity, the amnesia and the lies... who knows what will send any one of them into the arms of another, probably not the one they started out with.

As with any SECRET... it must be revealed and there will be an explosion of emotions and recriminations. The couples will fracture even more, reconnect in new ways, and then have to deal with new situations created by the new couplings. Perhaps they will be temporary -- like the couples in Midsummer Night's Dream, all mixed up but put back to rights. Perhaps they will be permanent -- Beatrice and Benedick, the woman with a tongue too sharp to love and the man who swore never to feel love. Only time will tell... and since this is a Soap and not a Comedy... it will be done with more pain and less laughter, with more tears and less wit, with more contrivances and less creativity. And those couples will not stand. Because soaps are nothing if not couple recycling mills.

Just as Shakespeare's Dramas end in death, the Comedies end with a wedding... perhaps in Soaps they will end in divorce?

Kathy Brand for Headwriter of AMC NOW, before it's too late!

© 2009 -- DO NOT COPY THIS POST ONTO ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD
teresaplatt

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

CHERI............ as usual PERFECTION................

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #3 
Fascinating post, Cheri! I'd like to nominate a couple of them (let's start with Ryan and Greenlee) to star in a Shakespeare tragedy -- how about Romeo and Juliet. Knife and poison. Works for me!

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Wow, Cheri, it is heartbreaking that your posts are so much more interesting than the show.

The title of the thread seems dead on.
Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Fascinating post, Cheri! I'd like to nominate a couple of them (let's start with Ryan and Greenlee) to star in a Shakespeare tragedy -- how about Romeo and Juliet. Knife and poison. Works for me!

WOW Kathy, you read my mind! LOL
Excellent post Cheri.

Just as Shakespeare's Dramas end in death, the Comedies end with a wedding... perhaps in Soaps they will end in divorce?

With the current state of the show, I am beginning to think the soap couples may end in cancellation.

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #6 

Cheri, what a great analysis.  If only this story was in your hands! 

This is the second time in less than a year that Greenlee has been stuck in an elevator.  When she was stuck with Josh, I thought it would be the start of something between them - I thought it should have been, because they had some unexpected chemistry.  (Who knows if the "real" Greenlee would have chemistry with Josh, but that's a moot point.)

I don't know what the point of this stuck elevator was, either.  It should have had one (remember when Ian and Kate danced on a stuck elevator?), but it didn't advance anything.  But it was totally superfluous anyway, as is just about every redundant plot point foisted on these characters at the moment.  Ryan doesn't need amnesia to moon over Kendall.  He's never stopped wanting her, and just as, as Zach pointed out to her last year when she was keeping the truth about Emma from Ryan , Kendall wants him to want her. 

As I just mentioned in another thread, tannis root must cause brain damage because the kinder gentler Greenlee who evolved in the bomb shelter now turns every conversation to sex.  It strikes a very discordant, unseemly note and cheapens the connection she and Zach developed instead of enhancing it.  Hell, her "hey, it beats an STD!" line even cheapened her relationship with Ryan.  Why would I ever think she had any real interest in Zach when she talks that way to everyone.

I don't really agree with Annie that Zach is an outsider.  Oh, he was once, in a way that the outsider status Annie assigned herself couldn't even begin to match, but now it's that the woman Zach loves is keeping a huge secret from him that would shatter his world.  That's what makes him an outsider and will make him one.

This elevator scene could have been a mixing bowl/pressure cooker combination, but it didn't "cook" anything.  We just got some indigestible stale leftovers (Ryan mooning over Kendall, grumpy Aidan) - some raw scraps (Greenlee's sex-on-the-brain, Annie's bitterness) – and Zach holding it all together.  

Puppetwrangler

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy

Cheri, what a great analysis.  If only this story was in your hands! 

This is the second time in less than a year that Greenlee has been stuck in an elevator.  When she was stuck with Josh, I thought it would be the start of something between them - I thought it should have been, because they had some unexpected chemistry.  (Who knows if the "real" Greenlee would have chemistry with Josh, but that's a moot point.)

I don't know what the point of this stuck elevator was, either.  It should have had one (remember when Ian and Kate danced on a stuck elevator?), but it didn't advance anything.  But it was totally superfluous anyway, as is just about every redundant plot point foisted on these characters at the moment.  Ryan doesn't need amnesia to moon over Kendall.  He's never stopped wanting her, and just as, as Zach pointed out to her last year when she was keeping the truth about Emma from Ryan , Kendall wants him to want her. 

As I just mentioned in another thread, tannis root must cause brain damage because the kinder gentler Greenlee who evolved in the bomb shelter now turns every conversation to sex.  It strikes a very discordant, unseemly note and cheapens the connection she and Zach developed instead of enhancing it.  Hell, her "hey, it beats an STD!" line even cheapened her relationship with Ryan.  Why would I ever think she had any real interest in Zach when she talks that way to everyone.

I don't really agree with Annie that Zach is an outsider.  Oh, he was once, in a way that the outsider status Annie assigned herself couldn't even begin to match, but now it's that the woman Zach loves is keeping a huge secret from him that would shatter his world.  That's what makes him an outsider and will make him one.

This elevator scene could have been a mixing bowl/pressure cooker combination, but it didn't "cook" anything.  We just got some indigestible stale leftovers (Ryan mooning over Kendall, grumpy Aidan) - some raw scraps (Greenlee's sex-on-the-brain, Annie's bitterness) – and Zach holding it all together.  

This is just a thought. This scene was probably done before they settled the writer's strike, right? Maybe this was just another one of their placeholder reminder/revisionist scenes. I agree, it was basically pointless filler (well, Zach is never filler!) Thank goodness we didn't get the usual flashbacks with it.

Great analysis, Cheri. The minute Rydeveloped amnesia and fixated on Kendall yet again, I thought of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Too bad these guys lack the skill to really use a plot they are er..um.. borrowing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.