Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
Mackenzie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm having a bit of trouble warming up to the character of Ava - even though I think Leven is doing a great job.  I think it might have been easier for me to accept this character if they had introduced her a few years from now, but all I can think about when I see Ava is that Leven is a teenager in real life and I find it kind of gross that TIIC are putting her with Aidan who seems so much older.  I don't know how old Aidan is in real life, but he looks too old to be with anyone played by someone Leven's age.  I also think that Lily was such an interesting, distinct character (on a show that unfortunately at the moment only has a few interesting characters) and so when I see Ava all I see Lily.  I think it'll take some time for me to look at Ava and not see Lily.  Is anyone else having that same problem?   

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie
I'm having a bit of trouble warming up to the character of Ava - even though I think Leven is doing a great job.  I think it might have been easier for me to accept this character if they had introduced her a few years from now, but all I can think about when I see Ava is that Leven is a teenager in real life and I find it kind of gross that TIIC are putting her with Aidan who seems so much older.  I don't know how old Aidan is in real life, but he looks too old to be with anyone played by someone Leven's age.  I also think that Lily was such an interesting, distinct character (on a show that unfortunately at the moment only has a few interesting characters) and so when I see Ava all I see Lily.  I think it'll take some time for me to look at Ava and not see Lily.  Is anyone else having that same problem?   

I feel exactly the same way.  I really hate Ava.  This character looks very forced and contrived to me.  It is Lily in drag. 

Cindy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Well that is normal.  I remember having the same problem with Vickie/Marley on AW.  Then it got to the point I accepted Vickie more so then Marley because I liked that character better LOL.  Marley became too boring to me.  So give her time and I bet she will grow on you too.

Now as far as Leven's age and Aiden, I think it is horrible that they can't put this actress with a boy that is closer to her real life age.  They keep pairing her with guys that are twice her age.  I don't care how old the character she is playing is, the actress is still only 16 years old.  She is jailbait and I bet it makes for a very difficult time for the actors who are to play her love interest.  AMC should realize the viewing public sees an actress of 16 not a character of 18 to 20 and that it is disgusting that they don't pair her with someone her own age like Sean. JMO

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I thought she was sixteen when she started on the show - wouldn't that put her closer to eighteen now?

And I haven't seen today yet, but I have always, ALWAYS been perversely fascinated by the possibilities of Aidan and Lily. The two actors have a very special connection that makes them leap off the tv together for me. So I'm very curious to see this play out. I need to find out if part of Lily and Aidan's  appeal to me is the very fact that they can never consummate their undeniable connection.

Mackenzie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurknomore
I thought she was sixteen when she started on the show - wouldn't that put her closer to eighteen now?

I just looked it up and Leven is 16 almost 17 IRL.  Aiden's birthday IRL is actually today and he's turning 30.  I think that's just gross for them to pair a teenager up with a 30 year old man.   

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie

I'm having the same problem with Ava.  All I see is Lily with a guy way too old to be with her.  I hope they stop this s/l soon.  I didn't realize that Leven was only 16!  That makes it even worse.
Diva

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Leven is a wonderful actress and I think she will do a wonderful job as Ava, however I have to agree with twice her age.  If she was 30 and he was 60 it could be interesting, but 16 and 30 that really doesn't compute for me.

lurknomore

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 

Evidently I'm twisted, because this doesn't bother me at all. She's an actress; that's how she's choosing to spend her life.  If things like this upset or bother her, she wouldn't do them.

And from a story/watching perspective two things:

1. AT and LR are interesting to watch in a way very few couple on AMC are these days.
2. Lily/Aidan or Ava/Aidan is automatically more palatable to me than Jonathan/Lily will ever be, simply because Aidan isn't a triple murderer who used to hit women.  Aidan is a fundamentally decent guy who has gone out of his way to keep his relationship with Lily safe for her AND for him. So what happens when he meets her doppelganger, and he can follow through any attraction he has? That could be marvelously complex and soapy all at once.

The cynic in me says they've introduced Ava so they can use one of their younger actresses, but as long as they do it in an interesting way that plays to her strengths, I'm OK with it.  (BTW, when Laura and Luke started on GH their age difference was pretty substantial too.)

Alina

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I have a problem seeing a 16 year old child making out with a 30 year old man.   But to quote TK "la la la, whatever", LOL.  If her parents don't have a problem with it, I won't lose any sleep over it either, LOL.  (g).

Moving along....so what is Ava's story?  My first impression is that she's a runaway and even though she appears to be a hooker, don't think she's actually earned a dime that way yet, LOL.  I've already got her backstory worked out in my brain (just for fun...not thinking there's a chance in hell it will play out that way).

My scenario:

Ava's father is dead (Denny Benton).  Her mother is a cold, selfish, bitter, money hungry, make it in the business world at all costs, Bitch who treated Ava as an afterthought.   In my head, the bitch's name is Hannah (g).  She hooked up with Denny (before Laurel) and had Ava.  After Denny died, she dragged Ava to the far east with her, where she proceeded to ignore her.  Ava ran away from her.  Hannah knows that Ava has a half-sister who lives in PV and she went snooping at Jack's house not only because she was stalking Zach but because she was stalking Lily to see if Ava turned up there.

~No TK on AMC, No Me. Wherever he goes, I go!~

lurknomore

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I TOTALLY see Ava taking Lily's place at Cambias at some point to help Hannah in her schemes. They're playing up Lily's suspicious nature/bull dog tendencies regarding her work and Zach way too much for that not to play into whatever happens with the Slaters, Cambias, and Hannah.

Such as... granting Hannah any access she wants and denying Kendall, for example. Or, say, conveniently forgetting to give Mr. Slater messages from Mrs. Slater.

That type of thing.
Cindy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina
I have a problem seeing a 16 year old child making out with a 30 year old man.   But to quote TK "la la la, whatever", LOL.  If her parents don't have a problem with it, I won't lose any sleep over it either, LOL.  (g).

Moving along....so what is Ava's story?  My first impression is that she's a runaway and even though she appears to be a hooker, don't think she's actually earned a dime that way yet, LOL.  I've already got her backstory worked out in my brain (just for fun...not thinking there's a chance in hell it will play out that way).

My scenario:

Ava's father is dead (Denny Benton).  Her mother is a cold, selfish, bitter, money hungry, make it in the business world at all costs, Bitch who treated Ava as an afterthought.   In my head, the bitch's name is Hannah (g).  She hooked up with Denny (before Laurel) and had Ava.  After Denny died, she dragged Ava to the far east with her, where she proceeded to ignore her.  Ava ran away from her.  Hannah knows that Ava has a half-sister who lives in PV and she went snooping at Jack's house not only because she was stalking Zach but because she was stalking Lily to see if Ava turned up there.

Very Good Alina I hope it turns out that way.  That would explain why she was there following Zach.  Because seriously why would she follow him?  She could have waited around at Cambias for his inevitable show up there.  She didn't have to be stalking him all over town.  That just doesn't make sense, especially since she knew Zach had her resume.  So that would explain that obvious pot hole for me.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I'm not really sure if I have a problem with Leven playing Ava and interacting physically with Aidan.  I think much depends on how far the writers take Aidan's relationship with Ava.  Right now though, all I am seeing is Lily with harsh make up and trampy clothing...my mind is having a hard time wrapping around the idea that they're supposed to be two different characters.  That may change with time.  She's a good actress, so I'm willing to wait and see her develop another onscreen persona.

I like your scenario, Alina.  But, if Ava is going to "replace" Lily at Cambias she's going to have to be awfully convincing and a very fast learner.  Trying to behave like someone with ASD would be pretty hard to do...unless Ava just happens to be a math whiz like her half sister, too.  The jury is still out on this one for me.  (g) 

Banner thanks to Monica.
Alina

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail
But, if Ava is going to "replace" Lily at Cambias she's going to have to be awfully convincing and a very fast learner.  Trying to behave like someone with ASD would be pretty hard to do...unless Ava just happens to be a math whiz like her half sister, too.  The jury is still out on this one for me.  (g) 

My scenario didn't get that far, LOL. and I won't spend another second on it cause I'm sure it would never happen (g).  Having said that, I'm not sure how Ava could pull it off.  Not only because of the ASD but because everyone including Zach will know about Lily's lookalike so I would think that would make it that much more difficult to pull the switcheroo. 

~No TK on AMC, No Me. Wherever he goes, I go!~

Mackenzie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina
Not only because of the ASD but because everyone including Zach will know about Lily's lookalike so I would think that would make it that much more difficult to pull the switcheroo. 

This is yet another reason why I'm glad the Hack has been fired - if she was still going to be around for this whole storyline I'm sure she would write it so that Ava replaces Lily and not one person notices or even remembers that Ava and Lily look alike.  Let's hope the new HW is better with details than the Hack.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva

Leven is a wonderful actress and I think she will do a wonderful job as Ava, however I have to agree with twice her age.  If she was 30 and he was 60 it could be interesting, but 16 and 30 that really doesn't compute for me.

Levin sure is a Wonderful actress.And think she will do fabulous too.That being said,was hard watching her in those bedroom scenes with Aidan.IMO, if she was 30 with a 60 year old man,not crazy about that either,he would be old enough to be her father.They should just put her with someone her own age.

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 

I love the idea of Ava being Hannah's child!  I do think that this was her first "trick".  You'd think a pro would have excused herself and freshened her breath after inhaling that meal, not just tackling her john with a kiss before she swallowed her last mouthful.  Yuk.  Aidan seemed a tad repelled also, not titillated. 

lurknomore

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Now that I watched yesterday, I'm more intrigued by this than before. I expected Leven to be good - I think she's a remarkably talented young lady. But AT really knocked it out of the park, which surprised me no end. He seemed simultaneously turned on, freaked out, and determined to get to the bottom of the mystery.

If they can use Ava to capitalize effectively on the remarkable chemistry betwen Aidan Turner and Leven Ramblin, it's going to be a good story. Because clearly Ava isn't all THAT hardened, and does have some issues even if they aren't as insurmountable as Lily's.

It's probably the end for Kelli Giddish, though, which is a shame. They've not known what to do with her since Dixie came back, and if AT moves into a real story with Ava, KG is likely a goner. Too bad, because she had better chemistry with Ryan than anyone they tried him with so far. And there could have been a good story there with their common past as cons.

zachstruck

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
First and foremost, EXCELLENT JOB LEVEN!!!!!  That girl is going places.

In the real world, 16 year olds on the "streets" have clients that are "Aiden's" age all the time.  Very sad isn't it?.......so what we're seeing on AMC isn't' that far fetched.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.