Message Board

Main Section
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
howru

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 

OMG!! i got my first speed ticket today. I was going 78 when the speeding limit was 65. I live in california. I am freaking out right and I posted on some forums to read about other people's experiences, but I asked myself, I'll just post here. any information would be great. thanks. BTW, i'm 20 years old.

1)I know i get a point for speeding tickets, but if I pay my ticket and go to traffic school I can erase the point and it won't show on my record, correct?
I hear this applies to you if this is the first speeding ticket a person gets.

2)I have liberty mutual, so how much will my Insurance increase by? if you guys don't have liberty mutual, how much did yours go up. even if it's a lot and scary, please just tell me.

3) after I get a letter from the mail in 2-3 weeks it will tell me what fine I have to pay. will my insurance be informed of this by then? ( I read on posts that if i am elgible for traffic school and i complete it, the insurance companies won't know about it unless the run thru their records of their clients by that time.)

4) I don't want my parents to know I have a ticket. they will be pissed. if i go to traffic school and pay my ticket, in what other way can they find out.
i had the officer change my address so my ticket will be mailed to me and not my parents. (obviously if my insurance rate does go up, my parents will know but how will they know that it's because a speeding ticket will it be written on the bill or something?

5) say that i do take traffic school and pay my ticket, how long will it stay on my record? will my insurance increase during that time? or in other words, if i take traffic school and pay off my ticket as soon as I can, will my insurance be effected even if that point still stays on my record?

6) after i complete my traffic school, i know i have to send my proof of completion to the court. is there anything else i have do besides that? will the court themselves send my proof to the dmv?
My goal in life right now is to get this point off my record.
if my insurance finds out about it, do i have to send a proof of completion to them as well or will the court do this for me?
so basically my question is, after letting the court know i completed it, is there anything else i have to do personally that the court doesn't do?

i know all of you guys live in different states and i have to check with my dmv to find out this information (which i plan on doing after i stop shaking) but i would like to know how you handled the situation or what happened in your case so i have an idea.
please answer my questions and help me!!!!!!

And thank you!!!!!

AlwaysOnlyYou99

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Howru, I did some research and here is what I found out....If you accrue a predetermine number of points for traffic tickets within a set time period, or if you don`t pay the fine, your St. may have the option of suspending your license. Expunge driving rec. points availability of this option depends on your St. and in some cases, your violation. You`ll need to check with your St. DMV. I checked, CA will take points off your rec. if you go to traff. school for a traff./speeding ticket. Your auto insurance comp. may have a diff. policy than other carriers about how many yrs. they look into a driver`s past, and account for any indications of a car accident,traff. ticket, speeding ticket,etc. If your curious call your agent or your insurer and ask. However, much of the driving rec. matter depends on your state`s DMV and how long it keeps points on your license. As long as infraction remains on your license, your car insurance comp. will likely take notice of them. For minor infractions, many states keep the associated points on a drivers rec. for 2 or 3 yrs. For more serious violations, bet. 5 and 10 yrs. Your St. DMV may have the point longevity info including serious auto accidents and speeding beyond just a few miles over the limit on their site. If it was your 1st ticket you might not see any changes in your rates. Unfortunately the state matters and factos so it is hard to give a blanket answer. Here is what they said, some states have laws governing when and why auto insurers can change policyholders premiums, often insurers are not allowed to raise your rates after just one speeding ticket. Check your policy 1st then call their office if you have any questions and ask them. But people said if you go to traffic school you could have the point removed to avoid increase. But call insurance comp. and ask. The only way that it will show up on your insurance is if the insurance comp. chooses to run a check on your driving rec. through the DMV. If they do that and find the violation, then they will determine if the policy should be affected. If so, then your parents will get a notice of the new premium and it will explain that it was because of your ticket. Not all comp. run a check, but some may as a matter of procedure periodically around renewal time,etc. However, the ticket is not automatically reported to insurance comp. Best be up front and let your parents know so there will be no surprises,lol. If you tell a judge this is your 1st offense they might fine you but th
AlwaysOnlyYou99

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry Howru, I`ve been having computer problems,lol. before I got rudely cut off,lol. I was saying......If you tell the judge this is your 1st offense he or she might fine you and they can ammend your moving violation to non moving violation. Now my fingers are cramping up so I am going to stop typing,lol. but before I do I want to say.....just breathe it is going to be ok you made a mistake you will learn from it. If you have anymore questions please ask and I will research and get back to you. I hope I was helpful. Fiona.
howru

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you so much. I did research as well and I found good news and bad news from other people so I got confused. Reading your information took away some of that confusion.

You said that the only way insurance companies do a check is if they run thru my driving record through the dmv. But if CA takes off the points after traffic school, then they can't find the ticket right? (that is if they don't run a check before I go to traffic school) Or will the fact that I got a ticket stay on my record for a period of time even though i take traffic school?

also if i call my insurance company, should I say my name or should i say i'm just looking for information without providing my name. I'm paranoid that they'll run a check on my record if I give them my name.

personally, i want to go and talk to the judge but even if he changes my moving violation to a non-moving violation, will it still affect my insurance? it can't really affect my insurance until i'm actually convicted of my speeding ticket right?
i'm just afraid because i live in a college town so I fear the judge would be really strict with us to teach us a lesson. but the other half of mind is saying that are also non-college adults living here so the judge has to be fair.
but if I go, i'm assuming I should plead guilty.
any suggestions on what I should say?

thank you so much.
irishmcpaddy

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Do what any good New Yorker would do lie like a sieve.  Go to traffic court be humble and remorseful tell them you very upset at the time due to any reason..........your boyfriend gave you the heave ho, you lost a vaulable item , and look him or her straight in the eye and tell them you are the most responsible person on earth and this will never happen again.  They may knock it down a few points or if you are lucky dismiss it because it is a first time. But do yourself a favor and be careful we sometimes don't even realize how heavy footed we can be and I am not being critical because I did many a thing wrong but accidents can happen so innocently and though I don't know you I can relate to this all too well and the scare of traffic court.

Megan
hil

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Hi, I live in California. Go to the court located on the ticket. Plead guilty and go to traffic school. You are allowed to go once a year and there will be no record of your violation. Traffic school is easy and can be done online. The ticket will be expensive regardless, plus you will have to pay for traffic school, but it beats higher insurance rates and points on your license. Good luck

Quick Navigation: