Message Board

Main Section
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
Diva

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #151 

9K, thank you for putting us in a Holiday mood.  You sure make us enjoy our super couple.  How great it would be if you wrote for AMC.  You understand what the audience enjoys - love, humor, romance and happy family relationships. An occasional mystery thrown in is perfect as long as the main characters handle it with a united front. Angst and horror are not what the majority of viewer are looking forward to when they come home from busy and sometimes frustrating days on the job.

ninekaronas

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #152 

[i]Merry Christmas, everybody![/b]

Home for the Holidays

Chapter 16

Zach sailed through the front door and came to an abrupt stop. "Oh God," he said with a sigh. He took a deep breath and went in search of his wife. He knew exactly where to find her. All he had to do was follow his nose. It occurred to him as he shrugged out of his coat that something was different, but he was too preoccupied to give it much thought. He found Kendall in the kitchen wearing the same "Kiss the Cook" apron she wore the last time he'd found her in there. This time she was placing Christmas cookies on a plate. He took another deep breath. "Well, I don't smell smoke," he said. "I guess that's a good sign."

Kendall looked up to see her husband frowning at her. She answered with a smile. "What smoke? Here," she said as she stuffed a cookie into his mouth, "try one." "Kendall, I thought we agreed. Remember Thanksgiving? No cooking," he said with his mouth full. "Hey, these are good." He had the nerve to look surprised. He leaned against the counter and grabbed another cookie. Kendall brought him a glass of cold milk and slid the plate towards him. "Of course they're good," she said. "Why wouldn't they be?" Zach looked up at her, but said nothing. He just raised an eyebrow and went back to the cookies.

"Answer me," he said after his fourth one. "Didn't we agree on the no cooking thing?" Kendall saw the smile in his eyes that he refused to show on his face. She gave in and laughed. "Yes, we agreed. I didn't bake the cookies." She walked to the trash and showed him the pink box. "I bought them." Zach looked confused. "Then what do I smell?" he asked. She pushed the cookie jar aside to reveal a scented candle.

Zach laughed. "Kendall, what's going on in here?" She came to stand beside him, arms folded across her chest. "I want my son - our son - to grow up with all the hokey Christmas traditions, including the smell of home-baked cookies," she said. "But I never had time to practice. Between the coma, the baby, the murder trial, and a cheating husband ... I guess it just slipped my mind." Zach, who was headed to the sink with the empty plate, did a double take. "Just kidding," Kendall said. "Anyway, he's only six months old. So I'm faking it. Just this once. For Spike."

Zach looked around, then back at Kendall. "I know," she said quietly, "he punked out on me and fell asleep." Zach smiled and pulled Kendall into his arms. "You're beautiful, you know that?" he said softly as he leaned down to kiss her. "Mmmmmm, those cookies are good," she said when he broke the kiss.

"So, what do you think of the decorations?" she asked. He was lost. "Um ... decorations?" he stammered. "Zach! Don't tell me you didn't even notice." Kendall grabbed Zach by the hand and led him back to the front door. His eyes grew wide as he realized that every single hall had been decked. There were ribbons and swags on everything that wasn't moving. His house looked like something from a magazine. It was actually quite beautiful, but he couldn't believe he didn't notice it before." "I knew something was different," he began, but stopped when he saw Kendall's face. She was still waiting for his opinion, and she seemed to be nervous about it.

"It's beautiful, Kendall," he said. "I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention when I came in. I was just so anxious to see my sexy wife." She laughed then, clearly relieved. "Yeah, right. I know exactly what happened. You walked in, smelled the cookie candle, and went running for the fire extinguisher." He smiled sheepishly and glanced into the living room.

"Okay," he said as he moved Kendall forward a few steps, "saved by the mistletoe." Kendall looked up to see what they were standing under. "Uh, Zach. That's a pine cone." "Close enough," he said and he quickly kissed her. He rubbed his hands together as he surveyed the room. "Let's see what we've got here," he said. "Poinsettias are nice. Love the lights over there. Mantel looks great." He took another step into the room and looked all around. He appeared to be looking for something.

"Kendall, you and Francois did a great job. You really did. Everything looks perfect. Except," he said as he again gave the room a once over. "I think you forgot something. Where's the tree?" he asked. "Ah, now that's where you come in, Zach," she said as she wrapped her arms around his waist. "That's something we will do together. Just you, me and Spike. We'll have our first Slater Family Fun Night," she said. He pulled her closer. "I thought we had fun every night," he said as he kissed her neck. "I said family fun night," she laughed.

Zach stepped away from her and gave her a serious look. "Kendall, I'm not strapping a tree to my Mercedes. Can't we have one delivered?" She glared at him, hands on her hips. Then she softened. "Well, actually, yes. We can have it delivered. But we have to pick it out first. All of us. As a family," she said. "Spike should be awake by now. I'm gonna go up and get him and we're going to go find the perfect Christmas tree. Okay?"

Zach nodded once. "Yes, dear. But why don't you let me get the boy. You just sit here and relax," he said as he led her to the sofa. He turned to go upstairs, but came back and gave Kendall a kiss. "What was that for?" she smiled. He tapped the front of her apron again and walked away. He was back down five minutes later with Spike in tow. "Let's go, Mrs. Slater. The perfect tree awaits."

-------------------------

"Tell me, Kendall," Zach said as he finished up the arduous task of stringing lights on their perfect tree, "is this how Christmas was done when you were a little girl?" Kendall looked at him for a moment before answering. She was still a little flushed from watching him wrestle the rather large tree into the tree stand. Watching her gorgeous husband do manly things just did something to her. She was amazed at how patient he was. In fact, she'd just been thinking about how angry her adoptive dad used to get trying to get the tree straight, when Zach asked her about her childhood. He knew her so well.

"Actually," Kendall answered, fighting the urge to lay Spike on the couch and tackle her husband, "some of it is very similar. But some of it is very, very different." Zach looked over at her and saw a bit of sadness cross her face. "How so?" he asked. "Well, first of all, Alice Hart would never let anybody else decorate her house. But Erica Kane would never consider doing it herself." She smiled. "I guess I'm the product of both of my moms," she said. "Thank God for Alice Hart," Zach said as he stepped away from the tree and tested the lights.

"I heard that," Kendall said. Zach came over and kissed first Kendall and then Spike. "You were supposed to," he said. "Now, how do the lights look? Did I get them even?" Kendall squinted her eyes as she stared at the tree. That's the way Alice always made sure the lights were evenly distributed. "Yes. They're perfect," she said. "Great," he whispered as he reached for the first box of ornaments.

"What about you, Zach? What was Christmas like when you were a little boy?" Zach glanced at her, then seemed to be looking through her. He was obviously remembering unpleasant memories. She saw him shudder and moved closer to him. "I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't mean to pry." He focused on her again and shook his head. "No, it's okay. You didn't. I was just remembering how cold Christmas was in the Cambias house. We went through all the motions. Christmas trees. Sledding. Bicycles and bb guns. We even thought we were happy, I guess. At least in the beginning. But now that I know what it's supposed to be like, I can see how much we missed," he said sadly.

"I guess I have you to thank for that, Kendall. Just another way my life began when I met you." He drew her and Spike into his arms and gave them both another kiss. Then he took a deep breath. "Okay, now comes the ornaments. Spike's first," he said. She gasped. "Oh, Zach. I totally forgot. I was supposed to pick out his first Christmas ornament. How could I forget?" she cried. He touched his finger to her lips. "It's okay," he said. "Here."

Kendall took the small box he was holding and opened it. She rolled her eyes and laughed as she held up the ornament. It was Santa Claus, wearing ice skates and carrying a hockey stick. "What?" Zach said. "He picked it out. Talk to your son." Kendall gave Spike a kiss and handed him the ornament. It took a while, but she was finally able to cajole him into putting it on the tree. Then she and Zach filled in around it with the other ornaments. When the were done, Zach put the angel on top. "Perfect," Kendall said as they stood side by side admiring it. "Yes, perfect," Zach said, turning his gaze to Kendall.

------------------------

"I wish I'd known Bill and Alice Hart," Zach said much later as they sat on the sofa drinking hot cocoa. "Why?" Kendall asked, snuggling up against him. "Because they were the people who loved you first. They made you who you are. I'd like to thank them," he said with a shrug. "They did love me," Kendall said. "But I honestly don't know why. I put them through so much." Zach put his arm around Kendall and brought her closer. "Because they had no choice. Just like me," he said.

"You know, I wish you could have met my parents," Kendall said. "They would have loved you." Zach was taken aback. "Why is that?" he asked. "Because they would see how happy you make me." Zach looked into her eyes and gently rubbed his knuckles down her cheek. He leaned down and kissed her softly. But she wanted more. She took his cup and placed it next to hers on the coffee table.

"I love you, Zach," she said. "I've waited my whole life to find love like this. Honest. Pure. Unconditional. Turns out I had it all along with my adoptive parents, but I never realized it. Not until I fell in love with you. You make me want to be a better person. And I want nothing more out of life than to love you, and be loved by you, until the day I die." She kissed him then, with all the love she felt in her heart.

"Well, that's not entirely true," she said when she broke the kiss. There is one more thing I want. And if you don't hurry up, we're not gonna make it upstairs." Zach stood to his feet, taking Kendall with him, and carried her to their bedroom. He never said a word, but Kendall could see everything she needed to hear in his eyes.

"Zach, what's going on?" Kendall asked. It was the end of a long and wonderful Christmas Day. They had been descended upon very early by Ryan. Then came Erica, Jack and Lily. Bianca and Miranda were not far behind. Presents had been exchanged. A beautiful Christmas dinner had been served. By then they had been joined by Myrtle, Sean, Annie and Emma. After dinner, everybody left except Erica, Jack, Bianca and Miranda. It was a peaceful day. Even Erica played nice.

But now it was over. Everybody had gone home and the leftovers were all put away. Spike was tucked into his crib with a new stuffed doggie, courtesy of his Daddy Zach. "Just until he's old enough for the real thing," he'd said. Kendall thought she and Zach were on their way to bed when Zach pulled her into their office. She settled on the couch while he went to the bookshelf.

Kendall watched as he moved aside a framed picture of Spike and picked up the box hidden behind it. He handed it to her and sat down beside her. "What's this?" she asked. "We've already opened presents." "This one is private. For your eyes only," he said. "In the office? Kinky!" "Just open the box," he said, shaking his head. "I didn't know I married such an insatiable woman." She ran her hand over his chest. "I wasn't insatiable until I married you," she teased.

She gasped when she opened the box. She reached in and pulled out a small globe, about the size of a grapefruit, made entirely of stone including marble, black onyx, jade, and lapis. It was accented in 24 kt gold. It was beautiful, and Kendall had never seen anything like it. As she studied it, she noticed several diamonds. When she looked closer, she could see that they were strategically placed. Las Vegas. Pine Valley. Haiti. Monte Carlo. Paris. Brussels. All the places she and Zach had been together.

She turned it over in her hand, running her fingers over the stones. That's when she saw the inscription, written in gold script around the top of the globe: "For where thou art, there is the world itself, and where thou art not, desolation." She looked up at Zach with wonder. "Where? How? Oh, Zach," she said. He smiled and took her hand.

"Our ten days in Monte Carlo turned into a tour of Europe. That's when it struck me. I promised Erica I'd give you the world. So here it is. The real one wouldn't fit in the box," he said dryly. "I plan to spend the rest of my life giving you the world. So, every time we visit someplace new, we'll mark it here with a shiny new diamond."

Kendall stared at him through tear-filled eyes. "Have I told you lately how amazing you are?" she asked. "I never knew you were such a traditionalist. Spike gets man's best friend for Christmas. And I get a girl's best friend. You thought of everything, Zach." He smiled at her. "I'm glad you like it," he said. He reached to take both the box and the globe from her, but she would only relinquish the box. The globe she held close to her. "Not yet," she said.

She reached for his hand and brought it to her lips. "Now let me tell you what you are," she said. "You, Zach Slater, are a woman's best friend. A wife's best friend. And the best thing that ever has or ever will happen to me." She held the globe out to him. When they were both touching it, she moved to kiss his lips, but stopped just before her mouth touched his. "May we never know desolation," she said.

TBC

Banner by Sharon
Puppetwrangler

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #153 

9K, you've done it again. (sniff)

Lorene

TaurusGal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #154 

9K, wow, just WOW.  You've done it again.  Thanks.

--TaurusGal

janicer8dr

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #155 
This story is great! I really enjoyed Kendall's response about Spike, "....he punked out on me and fell asleep."

Can't wait for the next chapter - keep them coming.
Granny

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #156 

Thank you so very much 9K.    You have to have the biggest, warmest, heart in the whole world.  You couldn't write so exquisitely with anything less.

Beautiful chapter.  Beautiful ending.  AND STILL at least ONE MORE to come.  Yahoo!!!  Best Christmas present you could the Zendall fans.  Thank you so very much for sharing your talent with us.

Granny 

Thanks, Sharon, for putting Zach and Kendall in my backyard. Thanks, Karen, for attaching this to my posts.
Abigail

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #157 

Karen...I've been so busy I haven't had time to properly say thank you for the last two chapters you've given us.  Both were, as usual, well done and exactly the way Zach and Kendall "live" in my head! 

I don't like cliches, but this last chapter was especially heartwarming.  What a lovely Christmas gift! 

Happy Holidays!

Banner thanks to Monica.
tkaddicted

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #158 

Karen, thanks so much for the wonderful Christmas story.  As I read what you've written, I could hear their voices and see their happy faces.  You make it so real!  Happy Holidays to you and all your loved ones.

Charlotte

Thanks for the banner, Diva!
Roseann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #159 

Oh, 9K, you have me in happy tears.  Beautiful Christmas story.  Thank you.

Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #160 

Absolutely beautiful chapter...why? why? why? can't TFIC get it right?

Keep writing and I'll keep reading....I love it.

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #161 

So warm and sweet that it makes your heart melt!  9K, your Zack is the consummate husband who makes every woman not fortunate enough to have someone even a shade close to being like he is, feel cheated!

Thanks for another great chapter.

jg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #162 

9K I loved this chapter.  I got all teary eyed about Zach giving Kendall the world like he promised.  It is amazing how well you tell their story.  Thank you for sharing your talent with us. 

Banner by Sam
"You are magnificent Kendall and everything I am, everything that is good in me is all because I had you. Always, only you."
Zach

My Zendall YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/tkpoetry

My Zendall Vimeo Channel:
http://vimeo.com/tkpoetry
zendall44

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #163 

Thank you for another amazing chapter, 9K!  Here's to always seeing TBC at the end of your stories.

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #164 

Thank you for such a great Christmas story and an early christmas present for us all.  Have a wonderful holiday and again thank you.

Granny

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #165 

In case you can't tell, Karen, I'm wishing you a merry, merry Christmas!   

Merry Christmas!

Granny

Thanks, Sharon, for putting Zach and Kendall in my backyard. Thanks, Karen, for attaching this to my posts.
searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #166 

9K, thank you for sharing your wonderful stories.  Every chapter was a lot of fun to read.  Hope you are having a very merry Christmas.

Diva

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #167 

9 K Thank you for that wonderful Christmas story with our favorite couple. Too bad that we can't see it on our TV screens. The few moments we get with them are precious, but definitely not enough. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

and

Let the coming New Year bring us All Hope, Happiness and Peace!!!

ninekaronas

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #168 
Sorry, Granny. Late morning turned into early afternoon. Sometimes I sit at work, so frustrated that it interferes with my life, and wonder why I put up with it. Then I remember ... I like to eat! Anyway, this is it folks. Last chapter. [b]Thanks so much to all of you for your enthusiastic support. You are all very much appreciated. Happy New Year!! [/i]

Home for the Holidays

Chapter 17

"So tell me," Zach said as he pulled Kendall onto his lap, "how do you want to spend New Year's Eve?" "Zach," Kendall laughed as she tried to free herself, "it's a little late to be sitting on Santa's lap isn't it? Christmas is over." He held her tighter and refused to let her get up. "It's okay, I'm not really Santa Claus. But I will give you anything you ask for, especially if you keep wiggling like that," he said, raising both eyebrows. Kendall froze, but only for a moment. Then she threw her arms around his neck and pressed herself against him. "I already have everything I want," she said.

"Are you just gonna sit there and torture me, or will you answer my question?" Zach asked after enjoying a few minutes of the torture. Kendall traced his ear with her tongue. "Torture? What torture?" she purred. "Remind me to pick up a red suit. This Santa stuff brings out your kinky side," Zach said. "You should see me with the real Santa," Kendall replied. "If only his spot in the mall was a little more private."

"I'll show you a private spot," Zach mumbled as he held her face and brought her mouth to his. He kissed her until he felt her relax against him. Then he pulled away and looked into her eyes. He smiled at the passion he saw there, and also a little disappointment. Her hands were in his hair, trying to pull him back to her. "Kendall," he said after giving her another kiss. This one soft and gentle. And over way too soon. "The question?" he said.

She looked disgruntled. "What question?" She asked as she ran her fingers through her hair and tried to straighten her clothes. She looked down and noticed that her shirt was unbuttoned. She wondered when that happened as she began to button it back up. "New Year's Eve?" Zach reminded her as he took both her hands in his, effectively stopping her progress. "Do you want to go to a party? Or stay home and make out with your husband? Whatever you want." He kissed her hands as he waited for her answer.

"Well, actually, I had wanted to do both," she said, watching his lips on her knuckles. "A makeout party?" Zach said. "Great. I haven't been to one of those since junior high?" Kendall laughed. "Junior high, huh?" she said. "So you started early." "No, I wasn't in junior high. The girls were. I was into older women back then," he said. She poked him in the chest. "As I was saying," she began, "I wanted to have a party here, but that was before we had guests over for Christmas. Now I say we go mess up somebody else's place."

Zach looked surprised, but said nothing. "Anybody in particular?" he asked. He had dropped her hands and was running his finger over her collarbone. He followed the path with his tongue. "For what?" Kendall asked breathlessly, having completely forgotten what they were talking about. "Zach," she said, sounding bewildered. "Stop teasing me." He laughed low in his throat as he carried her to the couch and covered her body with his. "I'm just practicing for the party," he said.

"I'm sorry I got us banned from your mom's last party of the season," Zach said to the woman sitting beside him on that same couch two days later. "You should see the team of fairies she's got over there changing all her Christmas decorations to New Year's Eve decorations," Kendall said, trying not to pout. "You mean elves," Zach said. "No," she said, giving him a knowing look.

"You can still go, you know," Zach said. "But we're not invited," Kendall lamented. "You mean I'm not invited," Zach corrected. "Same thing," Kendall said emphatically. "How about the casino then?" Zach suggested. "We could go count the money as it comes pouring in." "I'll think about it," she said. Zach hated to see her sad, especially when he was to blame. He knew if he called Erica and begged, she'd relent. But he'd had enough of crowds and parties, and way too much of Erica in recent weeks. He didn't know if he had it in him.

"Kendall, I'm sure Erica would love to have you and Spike at her party. I can just go to the casino by myself. Maybe get a little work done." "No way, Zach," Kendall said. "For where thou art, there is the world itself, and where thou art not, desolation." "Are you gonna quote that to me everyday now?" he asked, a smile on his face. "Everyday," she said as she kissed him. "Don't worry about me. I'll have fun anywhere as long as I'm with you. And as long as I get my midnight kiss," she added. Zach looked at his watch. "It's midnight somewhere," he said as he pulled his wife into his arms and kissed her.

Zach sat on the stairs, tugging on his shirt collar, as he waited for his lovely bride to finish getting ready. They had decided to spend New Year's Eve at the casino. Most of the Fusion girls would be there, as well as Ryan and Annie. And Myrtle, of course. Even Bianca had decided to forego another party at Erica's. They would all ring in the new year together and somebody else could clean up the mess.

Zach was a little surprised that Kendall had forgotten how they'd spent last New Year's Eve. That night had completely changed his life, but it didn't seem to hold any special significance to her. Maybe she really had just forgotten. Or maybe the Mardi Gras ball ruined the magic of it. He thought about planning something special for the two of them, but decided against it. He didn't want to make Kendall feel bad or put her on the spot. Besides, they didn't need special days. Everyday was special for Zach Slater since he met and married Kendall Hart.

He looked up just in time to see Kendall appear at the top of the stairs. He let out a low whistle as he jumped to his feet and joined her. "You look beautiful," he said, kissing her softly on the lips. "So do you," she answered as she wiped the lipstick from his mouth. She was wearing the dress he'd bought her in Paris. After all that dress had witnessed in that dressing room, there was no way it wasn't coming home with them.

Kendall brushed the shoulder of Zach's black tuxedo jacket and ran her fingers over the crisp white shirt. "Do you know what you do for a suit, Zach Slater?" she asked. She looked into his eyes as he pulled her up against him. "So you think you'll ever make it out of this house in that dress?" he answered, running his hands down her back to settle on her hips. She smiled up at him and he couldn't help himself. He kissed her until her knees went weak. Then he kissed her again.

Kendall pulled away from him, but he came with her, bending her over his arm. She brought her hand up to his face when he deepened the kiss. She grabbed his earlobe and pulled hard. He jerked upright and stared at her. "Kendall?" he said incredulously. She looked indignant. "Zach, this is the third time I've put this dress on and so far I haven't even made it downstairs. I want to wear this tonight, so you're just gonna have to control yourself. At least for a little while," she added. He bit her lower lip before releasing her.

"Don't blame me," he said. "I'm just a man." Kendall took his arm and walked beside him down the stairs. "You're not just anything, Zach. You are a true original. A one-of-a-kind husband, lover, friend, father..." she said, counting on her fingers. He grunted. "And, most importantly, you are all mine," she finished, giving his arm a squeeze. "All that, huh? But only when you want me." He looked at her through narrowed eyes. "Oh, I always want you, Zach. That's what makes you so dangerous," she said matter-of-factly. He grinned at her as he helped her into her coat and followed her out the front door.

"Oh no, I forgot my purse," Kendall said. "Zach, honey, would you mind getting it for me? I think I left it on the dresser upstairs." "Sure," Zach said. "Be right back." He ran inside and hurried up the stairs, making it back outside in less than a minute. Kendall was gone. He checked his pocket to be sure he had the car keys, which he did. "Kendall?" he called, looking at the empty car. No answer, and no sign of his wife. He walked back into the house. "Kendall, are you in here?" he yelled. Silence.

He walked back outside and that's when he saw it. The rose petal lying next to his foot. Then he saw another one. And another one. His confusion turned to excitement when he realized what was going on. She did remember. He breathed a sigh of pure contentment and followed the trail of rose petals. It ended just where he expected it to, at the gazebo hidden in the heart of their expansive backyard.

What he didn't expect was to find their gazebo decorated exactly the way the casino gazebo had been decorated one year earlier, right down to the number of candles. The flowers. The music. The lights strung through the rafters. All the same. Zach had a new appreciation for how Kendall must have felt that night. Only she didn't have to deal with the nerves he suffered through. That night, he didn't know how she would react ... how she really felt. But tonight, there was no reason for Kendall to be nervous. She knew how much Zach loved her. And if she didn't, he vowed she would before they left.

"So I was almost right about the dress," he said when she met his gaze. He got the reaction he was hoping for. She laughed. God how he loved to make her laugh. It wasn't too hard to remember what his life had been like when he'd met her. A successful businessman, maybe. But not a lot of laughter in his life. And no real love. It seemed like a lifetime ago. He felt like a different person. Hell, he was a different person. And all because of her, this beautiful woman standing in front of him who still managed to take his breath away.

He opened his arms and she rushed into them. He held her close, too emotional to speak. When she realized that, she hugged him tighter. Finally he lifted his head and she could see the array of emotions playing across his face. But the tears in his eyes surprised her. "You remembered," he said softly, and suddenly it all made sense to her. She'd wanted to surprise him, but it never occurred to her that he would think she forgot. "Oh Zach," she said, "of course I remembered. The greatest night of my life? I'll never forget it. Not one single detail."

She ran her fingers down the side of his face as she stood on her tiptoes to kiss him. He closed his eyes, causing a tear to escape. Kendall reached up and brushed the tear away. Zach bowed his head until his forehead was resting against hers and they stood there together, gently swaying to the music that neither of them was paying any attention to. They were lost in each other. They didn't need anything else.

--------------------

"What about the casino?" Zach asked much later over dinner. The night was was clear and cool and perfect. "Won't people worry?" Kendall shook her head at him and said through a mouthful of lobster. "Two's company. Everything else is a crowd. And I've had enough of crowds," she said, taking his hand. "Tonight is about us, two becaming one." He squeezed her hand. "So you told Bianca we weren't coming." She nodded. "You know me too well, Zach," she said. "Never well enough," he countered.

"Tell me when you knew you loved me, Zach. Both times," Kendall said as they stared up into the star-filled sky. She glanced at him and found him watching her intently. "I new I loved you but I didn't want to when Maria left," he began. Kendall looked surprised. "I held onto Maria and what I felt for her so hard. I was afraid that if she left, I'd have nothing else to feel but pain. Nobody else to look deeper into the dark soul of Zach Slater. For months I grieved for what we lost, Maria and I. But it was really for what I'd lost. What I thought I'd never find again. If I'd only known," he said, more to himself than to her.

He walked over and sat down on a bench outside the gazebo, holding out his hand for Kendall to join him. "There I was, in love with my own wife, but scared to death because she didn't love me. And I thought she never would. But I couldn't fight it, Kendall. You were too much for me." Now it was his turn to brush the tears from her face. He kissed her softly and continued.

"I knew I loved you and I didn't have a choice when I wanted to strangle you at Wildwind. You'd lied to get me to come to your condo, just to keep me away from Julia. Remember?" he asked. Kendall nodded and gave him a weak, tear-filled laugh. "How could I forget? I thought you were going to spank me," she said. "I was so angry with you," he continued, "but all I could think about was how much I wanted to kiss you. I knew then that I would love you until the day I die. No matter what. It was out of my hands. You were in my heart, Kendall, and you will be for eternity."

Kendall rested her head on his shoulder, relishing in the feel of him. The warmth of his body. The feel of his breath on her face. "I knew I loved you and I didn't want to the first second I laid eyes on you in Las Vegas," she said. She heard his sharp intake of breath and smiled. "Shocked you, didn't I?" she asked. "Mmmm hmmm," he said. "You were so gorgeous and so self-assured. Like a man who was comfortable in his own skin. And you were nice to me, Zach. Ryan was being a real ass those days, and I felt constantly rejected and insignificant. But you made me feel beautiful." She looked up at him with her heart in her eyes. It humbled him. "You were beautiful, Kendall. You still are," Zach said as he rested his cheek on the top of her head. "And Lavery is still an ass," he added with a chuckle.

"I knew I loved you and I had no choice when I found out that you knew Ryan was really alive," Kendall continued. "I was so angry, Zach. I wanted to hate you for lying to me. But I didn't. I couldn't. I knew at that moment that I would always love you. You were in my blood and there was nothing I could do about it. Even the times when I thought we were through, I still knew I would never stop loving you. I was resigned to having my heart belong to a man I could never have a future with."

Kendall pulled away from Zach and looked into his eyes. "I'm so glad we worked through all of that, Zach. Thank you for waiting for me. Thank you for helping me become the person I wanted to be all along. Thank you for finding me, for seeing what nobody else saw." Kendall threaded her arms underneath Zach's jacket and around his waist, laying her head against his chest and listening to his heartbeat. Then she kissed him and he shattered into a million pieces, just like the fireworks he could hear in the distance.

The End

Banner by Sharon
idonthave1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #169 

Oh no…………the end L What about New Year???????

Hi Karen, thank you for another wonderful story (and the others you emailed me). Enjoy it/them very much.

Bonnie (from Hawaii J)

Granny

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #170 

Beautiful!    Perfect! 
9K, thank you so very much for this wonder story. 

I vote for TPTB to hire you to write just for Zach!  You wouldn't cost them too much.  Let's see, TPTB could fire Sean and Colby.  Then they would have plenty of cash to cover your wages!  LOL  AMC's rating would soar over the moon if they had a writer as gifted as you!

I can hardly wait for your next fantasy!  Please don't take too long before you entertain us again.

Love your work, Kid!

Granny 

searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #171 

Thank you 9 K for such a romantic ending to this great story.  Just like Zach and Kendall, you always remember all the details from the past and you recreate them so well.  I keep hoping that some day, we will get to see TK/AM play out some of these great scenes  

Hope you will start another s/l soon, LOL.  Have a very happy new year!

Roseann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #172 

Oh, 9K...what a beautiful finish...As much as I hate to see your stories end, this was truly the perfect ending...If only it could be that way in soapland for Zach/Kendall.  One never knows.  Thanks again for all the great chapters and I'm looking foward to your next "mini".

Roseann

Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #173 

Beautiful....absolutely beautiful.

Thank you for entertaining us so well.

I think I love you....LOL

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #174 

Thanks 9K for bringing us memories of last year's New Year's Eve. If only this year's New Year's Eve celebration on AMC could mirror yours. Judging by the Christmas show we were given, that is not about to happen.

tkaddicted

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #175 

Beautiful, 9K.  I hated to see it end, though what a beautiful ending.  Thanks for the memories, and Happy New Year!

Thanks for the banner, Diva!
Puppetwrangler

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #176 

THANK YOU, 9K!

Hallelujah and Happy New Year! 

What a beautiful conclusion to a beautiful story. Looking forward to many more in 2007.

Lorene

Granny

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #177 

After I read another thread in another sub-directory and I found myself getting very aggravated, I come here to this thread ---- PEACE!  Beautiful peace!   

We know the writers won't give us peace but we give each other just a little peace with our kind words and hope for the future. 

So, what I'm trying to say, Thank You ALL who have posted on this thread.  You give me peace! 

Happy New Year to you all!

Granny 

Cindy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #178 

9K thanks for the great read!  I know we will never get Romance from the queen of dark.  Women aren't to be loved they are to be abused over and over and over again.  It's good to at least read some happy stuff.

Have a great year

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #179 

9K, this was a beautiful story with a beautiful ending. Thank you again for sharing your talent with us. 

Vickie

Banner by Sam
"You are magnificent Kendall and everything I am, everything that is good in me is all because I had you. Always, only you."
Zach

My Zendall YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/tkpoetry

My Zendall Vimeo Channel:
http://vimeo.com/tkpoetry
Abigail

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #180 

Ahhh, Karen...what a beautiful ending to your beautiful story.  *sniff, sniff*  Since it's unlikely we'll get even a nod to last year's memorable NYE on AMC itself I so appreciate the one you've given us here.  You've totally captured their essence and their magic together.  So, thanks for a great read and for sharing your talents with us.  Here's hoping the New Year will inspire you to write another "Zach and Kendall as they should be"...I can't wait! 

Banner thanks to Monica.
searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #181 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail

Ahhh, Karen...what a beautiful ending to your beautiful story.  *sniff, sniff*  Since it's unlikely we'll get even a nod to last year's memorable NYE on AMC itself I so appreciate the one you've given us here.  You've totally captured their essence and their magic together.  So, thanks for a great read and for sharing your talents with us.  Here's hoping the New Year will inspire you to write another "Zach and Kendall as they should be"...I can't wait! 

Abigail, ain't that the truth!  That's what I always think when I read 9K's wonderful fanfic.  AMC writers have ruined Kendall, they never show a moment of true love from her side, or a slightest appreciation for all things Zach.  Thanksgiving and Xmas should have been all about Kendall being thankful to Zach, instead, she was mushy about Ryan.  But I don't blame Kendall for it, I blame McHack.  In 9K's world, we see Zendall as they should be.

9K, please go over to AMC and make them see the light, LOL!

Abigail

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #182 
Quote:
Originally Posted by searose

Abigail, ain't that the truth!  That's what I always think when I read 9K's wonderful fanfic.  AMC writers have ruined Kendall, they never show a moment of true love from her side, or a slightest appreciation for all things Zach.  Thanksgiving and Xmas should have been all about Kendall being thankful to Zach, instead, she was mushy about Ryan.  But I don't blame Kendall for it, I blame McHack.  In 9K's world, we see Zendall as they should be.

9K, please go over to AMC and make them see the light, LOL!

searose, Karen does indeed do a magnificent job writing these two fictional characters as they should be written for on AMC itself.  But, with that said, I do respectfully disagree with you that Kendall has never shown a moment of true love or appreciation for Zach.  I agree, her character has been royally McHacked, but if there had never been any of these moments you mention, then the magic so many people see in this couple wouldn't exist at all.  We all see things and characters differently...while you saw Kendall being mushy over Ryan, I saw her trying to make the best out of a strangely blended family situation.  Doesn't make either of us right or wrong...just different perceptions of what we each see.   

Banner thanks to Monica.
AnneM

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #183 

Thank you 9K for sharing your amazing talent with us!!  If only AMC would make a New Year's resolution to hire talented writers ( like you !! ) they would have a show to be proud of again.  This was a beautiful story.  The perfect way to unwind after some crazy, hectic days!  Please keep writing--your stories are always so enjoyable.  Happy New Year!  Thanks again.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.