Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #151 
I watched Inherit the Wind, which I've seen sev times but never really got into it like this time.  I wasn't overly impressed overall & thought it was stagy also - very dialogue heavy - but at the same time I thought Spencer Tracy was amazing - he always is.  Some movies are 'guy' movies & I think that's one of them.  It doesn't appeal to ladies much.  My husband was fascinated with it bec he is a history teacher - OTOH.
I've never gotten through TLIW either.  I caught some of the Ronald Colman movies the other night.  For some reason I hadn't realized Edna May Oliver was in A Tale of Two Cities so I was very pleasantly surprised to see her!  
Glad your tshirts came, Kathy!  And you scored two!  I still haven't joined yet - one of these days.  
Zenderella, sorry you didn't care for it but Dial M For Murder is a fav of mine.  I'm blown away by Grace Kelly in it!  Well she blows me away in most movies she's in.  I enjoyed her in Rear Window the other day, too.  She's fascinating & incredibly beautiful!

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #152 
Watched a good little 1953 safari movie yesterday - starring Clark Gable, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly...  Don't remember watching Ava Gardner in a movie as a young star - she was very striking and convincing...  and it is still very hard for me to get used to so many of the actors in all these old movies chain smoking!!! 

*I am casting my vote for a remake of this one - lots of African animals, you-know-who as the leading man... and make it a lot steamier!! [thud]
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #153 
Head's up - sev of Ronald Colman's best movies on TCM tonight.

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #154 
Thanks for the heads up!  The heat/humidity has been off the charts, so have been watching lots of old movies!  Finally saw Ronald Colman, "Gentleman of the Cinema" - in The Late George Apley (my my was he proud of being from Boston!), The Talk of the Town (Carey Grant, Jean Arthur) and A Double Life (Best Actor Award)...  Pretty creepy when he began morphing into his character on stage - glad it ended the way it did!  Cannot think of any actor he reminds me of... very unique and versatile!

Also watched 3 Ava Gardner movies - Trapeze (Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster),
Barefoot Contessa (Humphrey Bogart, Rossano Brazzi), and The Night of the Iguana (Deborah Kerr, Richard Burton)...(TK would have been good in that Richard Burton role, and Deborah Kerr was wonderful!)

Someone else mentioned how your feelings change watching a movie over again... years ago I watched A Tree in Brooklyn and it was sad... Watching it over the weekend, for whatever reasons, I was so much more invested and emotional - just sat there quietly weeping and wondering where in the world were the grandparents to help this family, etc. etc.  lol
p.s. liked ALL the movies I watched!

Kathy - Timothy Dalton played the teenage king of Spain (?) who had a gay tryst with the Queen's oldest son... he was not in the movie much...
Have you met any old movie fans when you are out sporting your new tshirt??  :-)

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #155 
I'm so pissed at myself! I was too lazy to watch The  Talk of the Town "live" last week, figured I'd catch it on TCM's web site. Only it never showed up on the web site! Ditto The Late George Apley, which I'd never seen before. Grrr. I wonder why. I did watch Random Harvest from the web site, and A Double Life live.

Zenderella, I would kill to see TK in the Richard Burton role in The Night of the Iguana! When I first watched that movie several years ago, I wasn't expecting much, but I ended up loving it. I've really become a Richard Burton fan.

Re TTOTT, I always envy Jean Arthur's character being in a kind of triangle with Cary Grant's and Ronald Colman's characters! If I had to choose between the latter two, though, I'd have gone with Ronald Colman's. You?

It's funny how some movies will unexpectedly release emotions in you, but I can't think of any I've had a "delayed" reaction like that to... A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a great movie, though. (I've read the book umpteen times, too.)

ETA: I haven't worn my TCM T-shirt out and about yet but I'll let you know!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #156 
I caught TOTT but missed TLGA & RH.  I have to say if I'm choosing between the two guys in TOTT I've got to go with CG!  I love RC, too, but CG gets me everytime with his "cow eyes & that ridiculous hole in your chin" as pointed out by Myrna Loy in Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House - which is another fav of mine you need to see.  IA that TK would rock RB's role in Night of the Iguana.  RB is a great actor - I rem reading that his father trained him by making him speak above the pounding ocean waves reciting Shakespeare while holding marbles in his mouth - with perfect diction!  It worked!  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #157 
Heads up - there are lots of good old Sandra Dee and Sydney Poitier movies coming up this week!:-)
Sharon - RB probably thought his father was torturing him - wonder if he ever thanked him!? lol
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #158 
Zenderella, I looked at the schedule but I didn't see any SP or SD movies coming up, at least any I recognized from the title (I did see some other good movies coming up though).

Sharon, that means you can have CG and I can have RC -- win/win! LOL

I never heard that story before about Richard Burton's elocution lessons -- yikes, but his father's technique certainly worked! I actually bought a few of RB's poetry-recital CD's awhile back, but I was really surprised that as much as I love his voice in movies, I didn't really like the way he recites poems that much. It did give me a hankering to hear TK recite The Rime of the Ancient Mariner!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #159 
Deal, Kathy!  Works for me - although I'd throw all of them under the bus for TK!  I think I read that story about RB's father's elocution lessons when I was a teen.  Long time ago.  Interesting that his poetry readings were disappointing.  
Yest TCM had Sidney Poitier's movies on - I caught a few of them.  Or I should say parts of a few of them.  One I had never seen was fascinating - with Rock Hudson - but very intense & sad, Something of Value.  SD's movies were on Wed I believe - I've seen most of them but missed them all this time around -  keeping my g'son.  Today is Ginger Rogers movies - Bachelor Mother is one of them.
Head's up - just read TCM has The Quiet Man tom nite at 8pm.  

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #160 
Head's up - TCM is celebrating Cary Grant all day today - many great ones including Philadelphia Story, Holiday, An Affair to Remember - great time to check them out.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #161 
Thanks, Sharon! I've been a bad old movie fan lately but I'm watching Holiday now... watched Mr. Lucky and The Philadelphia Story earlier. Another favorite, People Will Talk, is on at 2AM so I hope TCM makes it available on demand. I'm still pissed they didn't include The Talk of the Town during Ronald Colman month. Did you hear Ben Mankiewicz say in his introduction to The Philadelphia Story that Katharine Hepburn wanted Clark Gable as C. K. Dexter Haven? I'm glad he wasn't available, LOL.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #162 
No I missed that!  Wow - IA with you, nobody but CG could play CK Dexter Haven!  Except in High Society when Bing Crosby played him - but that was hard to wrap my head around, too!  I doubt he would've gotten the role except that's a musical version & he can sing.  Ditto for Frank Sinatra, but I still love it.  I've been in CG heaven today.  Just fin watching An Affair To Remember & Ben M. mentioned CG said he always cries when watching that final scene, too!  Sniff sniff.  Just didn't want you to miss out - glad you caught some of them.  I will try to watch PWT from my bed but I doubt I make it through.  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #163 
I caught the very ending of An Affair to Remember Last Night - sigh - and could easily see TK doing that scene!!  Can't believe I missed Cary Grant day :-|  He has to be one of my top three all time favorites!
Did see two good movies this week that were new to me - Kitty Foyle - Ginger Rogers won an Academy Award... had me guessing - glad it ended the way it did!!
Also, State of the Union, 1948... Wow - some of the lines in that movie reminded me so much of politics TODAY!:-(  Angela Lansbury looked stunning but was evil... and I was surprised Spencer Tracy and Katharen Hepburn weren't nominated for an award!!
Sharon, are you under the weather?? Is your hubby going to carry you outside to see the eclipse? [bouquet]
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #164 
No I'm fine & dandy.  We spent the day with family & friends enjoying the big celestial event in our pool - it was spectacular!!  I was reminded of Deborah Kerr in AATR saying, "I was looking up - it was the nearest thing to heaven we have...."!!  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #165 
Heads up - Monday, Labor Day... Jerry Lewis movies all day...  not sure if I have watched all of them before, but might record to watch later...

Well, after all these years, I finally saw National Velvet!  Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney looked so young!! She must have been born beautiful!!
Also saw Father of the Bride (1950) with Spencer Tracy and ET... loved him - he was perfect for the part!  IF you haven't seen the remake (1991) with Steve Martin, Diane Keaton, Martin Short... even if you are a skeptic - it is laugh out loud funny, especially with MS being the wedding planner!

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #166 
I'm watching National Velvet right now. Love this movie. Elizabeth Taylor played Velvet's love of and obsession with horses so touchingly. But it's her mother who really kills me. Her father was pretty great too.

I've seen the remake of Father of the Bride. Steve Martin and Martin Short can always make me laugh!

Kathy and I got taken to all Jerry Lewis's movies when we were kids...but the one I really like is The King of Comedy.

Lots of other good movies are on tomorrow too...Alice Adams, Penny Serenade, Woman of the Year, I Remember Mama, Giant - yay!

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #167 

Penny Serenade is one of my all-time favs.  Thanks for the tip!  Always a tearjerker!  WOTY is another dandy!  IA - FOTB with SM & MS is very funny but the orig to me is still the best.  I love any SM movie!  NV was a fav from my childhood - ET is breaktaking - as she is in Giant.  I'm a huge Jerry Lewis fan, too - I cut my teeth on his movies -  "hey lady"!!  

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #168 
Giant was on TCM tonight & also a show about the movie with interviews from Rock Hudson & many others including many of the townsfolk where it was filmed called Return to Giant.  It's really worth your time & much inside info.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #169 
Thanks, Sharon -- I missed it last night but plan to catch Return to Giant on TCM On Demand soon. I've been slowly getting back into watching movies again. In the past week or so I watched Portrait of Jennie, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Band Wagon (always good to see James Mitchell in that!), My Forbidden Past (Ava Gardner, Robert Mitchum & Melvyn Douglas -- had never heard of that one before), a very interesting and touching documentary called Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story, The Desert Song, and last but not least, and looking very out of place in the above line up, Alice's Restaurant. Anyone else?

Christy and I saw AR when it first came out, when we were seniors in high school. Arlo Guthrie looks like a baby to me in that movie now. He (and a duet he did with Pete Seeger) was about the only good thing in it.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #170 
Might want to check out Love is a Many Splendored Thing tonight at 10/TCM.  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #171 
 I finally saw Giant - Elizabeth Taylor was so lovely and beautiful in every scene - whether she was young or older!!  Did not see the appeal of James Dean... he was such a low life character ... thought he would become a hero at the end, but just became a rich low life...  Will be watching for the program about the filming of the movie - thanks!

Also watched The Strange Love of Martha Ivers this morning...  Barbara Stanwyck is such a star in any movie she does, and this was a good one... I had a little trouble at the beginning when her rich aunt was murdering her cat and Martha hit her once with the 'cane' and made her fall down the stairs...  Being a child, couldn't they have told the truth about what happened and since she was under age, gotten some sort of probation or something (??)...  did not know this was Kirk Douglas' debut movie...
my favorite line was "You knew how much I hated her, why didn't you stop me?"
    Sam: "I wasn't there..."       LOL

zenderella

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #172 
It's Jimmy Stewart month!  Was channel surfing and watched "Shop Around the Corner" last night... did not know that "You've Got Mail" was a remake of this 1940's movie!
JS is 32 in this movie, but he looked so young!  I love him in anything, and have several more of his movies taping for the rest of this week...
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #173 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderella
It's Jimmy Stewart month!  Was channel surfing and watched "Shop Around the Corner" last night... did not know that "You've Got Mail" was a remake of this 1940's movie!
JS is 32 in this movie, but he looked so young!  I love him in anything, and have several more of his movies taping for the rest of this week...

I love this movie and never tire of it! Even though it's a Jimmy Stewart movie I just love Frank Morgan in it.  That story was also made into a musical called She Loves Me (the only version of which I've seen was a 1978 BBC production that was shown on PBS).

I love a lot of old Christmas movies and I watched the 1938 version of A Christmas Carol the other day for the umpteenth time, LOL. Never gets old either.

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #174 
TCM had a lot of my favs this past wk - Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, The Little Shop Around the Corner & Philadelphia Story to name a few.  Great flicks!  I think there are sev versions of TLSATC - but that one is my fav.  I also love Frank Morgan in it!  Love the Budapest setting, too.  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #175 

Saw the Philadelphia Story finally... Katharine Hepburn sure had a tough call choosing between Cary Grant and James Stewart! LOL  James Stewart won his only Oscar for this movie, but I think I have liked him in other movies more...

Also watched The Old Maid with Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins...  good movie - those two women played off one another nicely! That is the youngest I have ever seen Bette Davis! (I read that IRL, she had an affair with Miriam Hopkin's husband before the movie began filming... but neither one let it get in the way of making the movie... [jawdrop] )
Have a kleenex ready for this one! 

zenderella

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #176 
Are we allowed to have two posts in a row ??

Just looked at the lineup, and did not see any classic Christmas movies
on TCM... do they save them for the week after??

Wish they would show some old ones that not many people know!
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #177 
You can have as many posts in a row as you want!

I too have been disappointed in TCM lately. They have shown a lot of good Christmas movies, but many of them don't seem to end up on On Demand anymore. In fact, TCM's On Demand in general seems to keep shrinking from what it used to be. But right now they have a Christmas-y Barbara Stanwyck movie, Remember The Night, one of my favorites of hers.

My favorite old Christmas movie that not many people know is The Holly and the Ivy (1952). I saw it on TV (not TCM) many years ago, and bought a copy as soon as I could find one anywhere.

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #178 
Head's up - TCM is showing Captain Blood at 4pm today.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #179 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
Head's up - TCM is showing Captain Blood at 4pm today.  

Thanks, Sharon! It's on the app now. They showed Robin Hood too. And Errol Flynn's birthday isn't even until next week!

There are so many of my faves (The Long Long Trailer! The Wizard of Oz! Now, Voyager! The Desk Set! The Pirate! Etc., etc.) on the app right now. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #180 
Yes I forgot to mention Robin Hood.  I caught Desk Set & of course, The Long Long Trailer, too!   Poor Grace never fails to crack me up!  Speaking of Poor Grace I saw an old episode of Jack Benny the other day with his 'Pasadena Fan Club' girls & Poor Grace, or rather the actress who played her was one of his groupies!  It was a complete howl!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #181 
All That Heaven Allows is on TCM On Demand too! I watched that the other day. I tried to watch another TCM On Demand movie I'd never seen before (Doughgirls with Jane Wyman and Ann Sheridan) but despite the stars and fabulous '40's clothes, it was just too idiotic to keep watching. 

Sharon, thanks for letting us know that Poor Grace has another credit! She'll never top Poor Grace, though, LOL!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #182 
I recorded ATHA & watched - always a treat.  Yes it was a total surprise to me also that Poor Grace had another credit!  That whole episode was a complete howl!  Jack's Pasadena Fan Club groupies & the head groupie was Madge Blake who played Mrs Mondello on Leave it to Beaver.  They had a jam session playing along with Jack Benny & his violin - too funny!  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #183 
Adding All That Heaven Allows to my list!

I watched A Summer Place last night...  I remember seeing it about 50 years ago! LOL
Love the young Sandra Dee, Troy Donahue, and both sets of parents were great!
A perfect summer movie - and a 2 hr distraction from politics!![explode]
Any more 'heads up' for good movies coming up would be appreciated!
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #184 
Zenderella, I watched A Summer Place too -- my favorite thing about it was that incredible beach house. I pretty much wanted to smack all the characters, LOL. Well, maybe not Richard Egan's.

I watched The Boy Friend yesterday on TCM On Demand... can't find much to say about it. OK for musical lovers. Great costumes, some entertaining choreography. Twiggy was appealing. Not enough Tommy Tune! But overall I recommend it. Ditto Summer Stock.

Also on TCM On Demand is Devotion -- bizarrely fictionalized Brontës bio, good if miscast cast. If you're a Brontës fan, it's something to hate watch.

Also on TCM OD is a rarely shown (for good reason, LOL) Errol Flynn movie, Footsteps in the Dark. I watched it, though. Also The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex and They Died With Their Boots On.

Have you ever seen The Red Balloon? I really recommend it if you haven't.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #185 
I caught A Summer Place - that beach house in the latter part of the movie is a Frank Lloyd Wright house.  Also the one in North By Northwest in Rapid City, SD is a FLW house, too.  They are fascinating!  The Red Balloon is a fav of mine, too - it's charming!  If you watch ATHA you need to see Magnificent Obsession first - it is the same pairing of Rock Hudson & Jane Wyman & has some very beautiful romantic moments.  I rem when ASP first came out & I had such a crush on Troy Donahue!  

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.