Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #101 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
I did catch To Sir With love yest.  Anyone else catch Pollyanna & Summer Magic Fri night?  Christy IA, Ava Gardner's character reminds me a bit of Lucy in Mogambo.  Kinda makes me wish Katie was a bit more like her!

Kathy and I watched Pollyanna on On Demand a couple of days ago but missed Summer Magic. Maybe I'll haul out my DVD of it!  I also got a free Kindle copy of Pollyanna on Amazon, too...we were always such bookworms as kids, I can't believe I never read it before.

zenderella

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #102 
I just checked Amazon, to see if there was a Hayley Mills movie package deal...
nope, but Trouble with Angels was only $5.   Have forgotten what Summer Magic was about, so will have to keep an eye out for a repeat of that one...

Did watch No Time for Love with Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray over the weekend...  Wow - FM was young and shirtless, and played a 'miner'...  CC was the photographer who falls for him...  I always connect FM with Flubber or Steve Douglas on My Three Sons, so it was kind of cool seeing him in his younger, more, um muscular days! [thud]
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #103 
Zenderella, I've got No Time for Love on my list to watch -- even though both of the stars are on my personal C list (i.e. I'll watch 'em if they're in a movie with someone else I like more), sometimes the prospect of early '40's fashion and decor are enough to rope me in!

Watched Summer Magic and felt old! The first time I saw it... JFK was president. Sigh. I just checked to see if TCM had another Hayley Mills movie that Christy and I loved when we were 14 -- Gypsy Girl. We thought it was so romantic. Seeing it many years later, it didn't exactly strike me that way, but it's still a good one to see for Hayley Mills fans. (TCM didn't.)

Anyway, I think $5 is a good deal for TTWA!

One last movie mention -- going from the sublime TTWA to the ridiculous (ridiculous in a good way), my hubby looked ahead in the TCM schedule and saw that they're showing The Loved One again (he didn't note the date so I'm not sure when). This is a movie satires that pretty much has to be seen to be believed, but if you're in the mood for some dark humor set in L.A. that takes aim at the movie business, the funeral business, and the religious poser business, I'm gonna give it a great big old recommendation in advance.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #104 
Check out Giant tonight at 10 on TCM.  A very young & handsome Rock Hudson & young & beautiful Elizabeth Taylor as well as James Dean shortly before his death.  Some good acting -  an epic film - but my favorite part is the wedding scene.  If you watch, keep your eyes on Elizabeth Taylor when Rock Hudson sneaks into the wedding & stands behind her & she slowly starts to sense his presence & feels him there!  I think it's a marvelous scene & soooo romantic!  I still cry when I watch it.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #105 
Quote:
Check out Giant tonight at 10 on TCM.  A very young & handsome Rock Hudson & young & beautiful Elizabeth Taylor as well as James Dean shortly before his death.  Some good acting -  an epic film - but my favorite part is the wedding scene.  If you watch, keep your eyes on Elizabeth Taylor when Rock Hudson sneaks into the wedding & stands behind her & she slowly starts to sense his presence & feels him there!  I think it's a marvelous scene & soooo romantic!  I still cry when I watch it.  

That was a great scene, but there were several others that made me gasp, cry, and had me on the edge of my seat...never thought this movie would appeal to me, but wow...and sadly nothing has changed, instead it's getting worse. I never think to mention Elizabeth Taylor in my list of fave classic actresses, but she is on it, and she and Rock Hudson were just fantastic in this.

P.S. The Long, Long Trailer comes on this evening!

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #106 
It took me a couple of days but I finally finished watching Giant. Thanks, Sharon -- I'd never seen it and probably never would have if you hadn't recommended it. In recent years I've turned into a big Rock Hudson fan and he was incredible as Bick, a privileged man who had it in him to not let his machismo and upbringing stop him from evolving with his marriage and family into a more enlightened man. I love movies with character development like that. I thought Elizabeth Taylor was great too.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #107 
Glad you both enjoyed Giant - one of my favs!  I'm still enamored with the wedding scene & every time I see it I get emotional.  I just can't get over how the wedding is not about them at all but yet the scene & the minister's words completely are!  But something about the way ET eyes slowly begin to dart around & she just senses he's behind her is sooo incredible!  Then aft the ceremony they embrace & you can feel the passion - espec when her hat is knocked off!  But there are many other great scenes & IA about the way Rock Hudson's character, Bick slowly transforms from the Alpha Male machismo to enlightenment.  It is a treat to see.  I really have come to appreciate RH -  not even to mention how gorgeous they both are.  
That wedding scene also reminds me of a similar scene in another fav - Woman of the Year - the scene where Tess Harding goes to her father's wedding to the feminist woman/role model who raised her & again you hear the minister's words but the star of the scene during the ceremony is Katharine Hepburn with her eyes welling up with tears as she really hears the words for first time & realizes her own mistakes.  The two scenes in both movies are amazing and very much alike.  I did catch TLLT Sun as well as Love is a Many Splendored Thing - I've hit the movie jackpot lately!  Last night another fav was on & I watched til the wee hours - My Fair Lady.  After that was The Nun's Story also with Audrey Hepburn & it was my first time to see.  I highly recommend!   Although I'm bleary-eyed today!

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #108 
Sharon, you're right -- the Giant wedding scene was reminiscent of The Woman of the Year wedding scene! The first time I saw WOTY, I expected Sam to show up while Tess was taking in the wedding vows... countless viewings later, and I still wish he would! I was glad Bick did show up for Leslie (and I also loved how she sensed his presence behind her, and how neither one held back in their reunion -- but only after Leslie handed over her sister's wedding bouquet and was free of her matron of honor duties... I thought that said something interesting about Leslie, too, that she didn't disturb the climax of her sister's wedding). Another thing I noticed was how Bick just towered over everybody else as he was trying to make it through that crowded wedding to get to Leslie. It was like a visual sign of his character (already signaled by his not stopping Leslie from taking the kids back to MD when she had to get away, too). So many times when I expected Bick to act like a macho asshole, he surprised me.

I'm so far behind, I just watched The Long Long Trailer! I plan to watch both My Fair Lady and The Nun's Story again before they depart the TCM app. I think Audrey Hepburn is incredible in the latter especially. Right now I' watching June Bride, a Bette Davis movie (Fay Bainter is in the cast of this one, too; they both deserve better!).

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #109 
You nailed the scene description!  I never thought of it before but Leslie did wait for the passionate embrace until the wedding was over - does show her character by not upstaging her sister's wedding.  I also notice how incredibly tall Rock Hudson is in every movie!  And drop-dead gorgeous!  
Just have to say I am a HUGE Fay Bainter fan - she is fascinating!  If you get a chance see A Journey For Margaret  - FB plays the orphanage director & is unforgettable.  But that wedding scene in WOTY gets me every time - I also keep hoping Sam will show up then.  There have been so many great films on TCM lately it's hard to keep up!

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #110 
Sharon, this is just a quickie, but there are some good movies on TCM coming right up. First is I Walked With A Zombie -- it's so much better than the title indicates, eerie rather than horrifying (supposedly based on Jane Eyre of all things! As a Bronte fan that drew me in), and barely an hour long. It's followed by Having A Wild Weekend, starring the Dave Clark 5, not a typical British Invasion group movie at all but a more thoughtful kind of drama. Then, a highly recommended David Niven (sigh!) movie, A Matter of Life or Death.

Oh, I adore Faye Bainter too! She is always a total scene stealer for me... and she is especially wonderful in Journey for Margaret.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #111 
Thanks for the head's up - missed this time around - hope to catch both next time.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #112 
Manchurian Candidate tonight at 8PM! One of the most gripping movies I've ever seen.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #113 
I've seen MC before - it is gripping!  Hope you caught All That Heaven Allows tonight at 10 - love that one!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #114 
I didn't catch All That Heaven Allows last night (I was catching up with the Dave Clark 5 <g > ), but I'll definitely be watching it before it departs TCM's On Demand movies!

Oh, something I wanted to ask about Giant -- what did you think of James Dean in it? This is only the second one of his movies I've seen, and I was no more impressed with him in this movie than I was with Rebel Without A Cause. Maybe it was because both characters he played were so obnoxious, I dunno. But after watching the movie I totally disagreed with Billy Bob Thornton's analysis (in the pre-movie discussion) that Jett was the scene stealing role. Rock Hudson owned every scene he was in.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #115 
ITA 100% about James Dean!  He has never done a thing for me for whatever reason.  I just find his brooding, angry young man act is tiresome & so cliched that it annoys me.  I do not think he's a scene stealer - in fact some of his scenes are painful to watch & I'm actually embarrassed for him!  I don't get him.  Rock Hudson acts circles around him -  no doubt!  I've never been able to sit through Rebel Without a Cause for those same reasons even though I love Natalie Wood.  To me, he's overrated.

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #116 
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks James Dean is overrated! His brooding angry young man act (exactly! JR Chandler anyone?) gets real old, real fast. I like Natalie Wood (especially with Robert Redford <g > too. That reminds me, I also really like Sal Mineo. He was so adorable in Giant and I'll just say (for those who haven't seen the movie) he made me cry.

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #117 
Ladies - thank-you for all the recommendations... my list is still growing... 
I saw Giant years and years ago and fell in love with Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor! Need to rewatch it, but for whatever reason, our TCM movie lists do not always match yours!
This morning I watched "Room With a View," British aristocrat romance nominated for Best Picture... with Helena Bonham-Carter (acting debut) and Maggie Smith.  The costumes and scenery were excellent, and it was interesting watching Maggie Smith 30 years before she became the Dowager on Downton's Abbey, BUT the plot just did not grab me and I guess the movie was not my cup of tea, because I could not wait for it to be over! Daniel Day-Lewis as Cecil was just insufferable, and I just did not find any of it comical...
  Don't you hate it when a movie gets the highest accolades and you don't like it??
(ok, I am ducking now while one of you comes on to say it is one of your favorites! lol)
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #118 
Here it comes, Zenderalla -- A Room With A View is one of my favorite movies, LOL! I liked it so much that I bought the VHS tape, the book it was based on, and even the cassette of the music. But I don't mind a bit if it didn't grab you and I enjoyed reading your comments -- yup, Cecil was awful! I did end up feeling sorry for him, though. And I wondered how long Lucy and George would have been happy together since she didn't suffer fools and he was in his own little world most of the time.

Anyway, I have another movie to recommend that is still on TCM's On Demand movies. I Know Where I'm Going, starring Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey and set in Scotland. They are no Patrick and Marty, but a few things about their story made me wonder if Michael Malone saw the movie before putting Patrick and Marty on Iniscraig.

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #119 
Zenderella, I know what you mean about not liking movies that get the highest accolades..that's the story of my life, LOL. Have you ever changed your mind about a movie you loved or hated at first, though? I have mixed feelings about A Room With A View. I saw it when it first came out and I loved, loved, loved it and thought it was sooooo romantic, but now...I just don't see a lot of it the same way. I now don't see what's so bad about Cecil. He tried, and he accepted Lucy's breaking their engagement graciously. If Lucy thought he was such a prig, she never should have accepted his proposal in the first place. When I watch it now, I hate the snotty way she treats him. And I think George's free-spirited-ness would get old after the honeymoon was over. I do love George's father though and hated to see him go to waste. I also still love the music, cinematography, English and Italian scenery, the costumes, and even the title cards for this movie. I actually own a copy!

Add me to the list of those who find James Dean overrated but like Sal Mineo. I like Natalie Wood too. I've probably said this before, but I also love Faye Bainter. She grounds every scene she's in. And Edna Mae Oliver alert - I was watching a Merle Oberon movie called Lydia on the TCM app the other night, and she played the aunt. When her scene was over, I stopped watching the movie because I figured she probably only had the one scene (but she was great as usual) and I just couldn't buy Merle Oberon's elderly woman make-up.

Another movie new to me was I Know Where I'm Going -- this was produced by the same company that produced the David Niven movie A Matter Of Life And Death that came on a few nights ago and featured one of the same actors in that movie, Roger Livesy, who I really liked, along with Wendy Hiller, whose character I found supremely annoying and it shouldn't have been that way because parts of this movie (which was purely a romance) as Kathy mentioned vaguely reminded us of Patrick and Marty on Inishcraig (only this movie was set in Scotland). Don't you just hate it when you can't stand one half of a couple but love the other half <g>?

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #120 
TCM's been on a roll lately - hit the jackpot today - Courtship of Eddie's Father, Father of the Bride, Father's Little Dividend.  The latter two with Spencer Tracy & Elizabeth Taylor are gems.  CoEF is another favorite of mine, even if it is a touch sad & even if it stars Glenn Ford, whom I don't usually like!  Perfect Father's Day choices.  I've never seen A Room With A View but maybe because it's a bit new for my taste.  I usually prefer older stuff.  There are lots of movies that are at the top of the lists of most that do not appeal to me & one is The Godfather - I actually walked out of the theater when we saw it but I was very pregnant at the time & found it disturbing to me on many levels - but it could've been that I was just emotional/hormones.  No desire to see it again & Marlon Brando is one of those 'angry young men' (in the beginning) that I never warmed up to either.  I decided long ago that movies are divided up into guy flicks & chick flicks for a reason & they either appeal to men or women and rarely both.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #121 
Sharon, get out of my head, LOL! I watched some "missed" movies yesterday before they left the lineup, so I didn't watch any of the Father's Day movies, but FOTB (the scene where Spencer Tracy squeezes into his wedding tux!) and FLD are two of my favorites. I've never seen the movie version of Courtship of Eddie's Father but based on your recommendation, I'll watch it -- I'm not a Glenn Ford fan either! But I can tolerate him if I have to.

From what I watched yesterday, I'm going to highly recommend Black Narcissus if you haven't seen it. Deborah Kerr was fantastic (and so beautiful) and the leading man equivalent was played by a very handsome, dashing, dynamic (remind you of anyone<g > actor I'd never come across before named David Farrar. It's about a group of nuns opening a new school/clinic in a very isolated, demanding foreign setting, but of course it's not as simple as that. Really held my attention and stayed with me afterwards.

ETA: I've always avoided The Godfather, its sequels, and movies like that in general. Love a good, involving drama, but I go for good guys, not bad guys.

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #122 

Sharon – ITA about Marlon Brando – usually. Believe it or not I liked him in Guys and Dolls. It’s not a musical I’m even a fan of (only watch it for nostalgia’s sake because Kathy and I went to a 1970’s roadshow version of it with our parents), but somehow when I watched him I was (believe it or not) reminded of TK and it made me want to see TK in this role (believe it or not!). Sometimes you just can’t control your reaction, LOL. I’m 100% with you on The Godfather, though! Never seen it, never will.

I also love Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor (even though her character was pretty insufferable at times) in FOTB/FLD. I love the house they lived in! I also always get a kick out of Life With Father (loved that book as a kid!). I love that TCM shows that every Father's Day, and they show I Remember Mama every Mother's Day (loved that book too!).

Merchant Ivory’s (the company that produced A Room With A View) period dramas were so meticulous…I’m obsessed with social history and what it was like to live in different eras and their movies are kinda like going back in time for me. I’m also a huuuuuge fan of several 1800’s English novelists and try to catch any film version of their books – i.e., TCM showed the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility recently, plus I love Alan Rickman in it. One new movie based on a 1951 book I want to see is My Cousin Rachel just to compare it to the Richard Burton/Olivia de Havilland version (which I highly recommend, Richard Burton was simply mesmerizing!).

I’m irked at TCM right now, though, tomorrow is Errol Flynn’s bday and they aren’t showing any of his films :/

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #123 
Christy I totally forg ab Guys And Dolls!  I did enjoy MB in that.  And I also forgot I watched Life With Father yest, too!  I have long loved that one - Wm Powell is always a treat but he cracks me up with his, "Gad"!  Believe it or not, my Mom used to say that!  I have not seen Black Narcissus, Kathy but I'll be sure to catch it when I can.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who disliked The Godfather.  I just cannot abide a movie that embraces murder.  Speaking of Deborah Kerr, Kathy have you ever seen her in Heaven Knows, Mr Allison?  DK plays a nun in that one also.  I'm a little shocked myself that TCM isn't showing EF's films on his birthday!  They almost always celebrate major stars birthdays & many obscure ones, too.  Speaking of Fay Bainter made me think of Dame May Whitty - have any of you ever noticed her in films?  She is outstanding in Mrs Miniver, The White Cliffs of Dover, Suspicion & others.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #124 
Sharon, I've seen Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison a couple of times and really liked it. I thought of that while watching Black Narcissus. Not a big Robert Mitchum fan, but I did like him in that.

ITA about Dame May Witty. She's a great character actress! In looking at her credits on IMDB to refresh my memory what else I might have seen her in, I saw that she was in Devotion, which I've seen a few times but don't even remember her being in. Have you ever seen that? It's a really fictionalized Brontes bio that TCM just showed yesterday but I skipped.

I also saw that DMW was in The Lady Vanishes (starring another favorite, Margaret Rutherford), which was really suspenseful and which I'd love to see again. Have you ever seen it?

Jim was just looking at the TCM schedule and told me Harold and Maude and Spinal Tap are both on tomorrow night. Both are favorites of mine, especially SP. It always cracks me up.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #125 
I'll have to check out Devotion & the Lady Vanishes to see DMW - she's great!  I have to admit I'm a big Robt Mitchum fan, though  sometimes he is a little scary & over the top as he is in Cape Fear & Night of the Hunter, which is chilling but fascinating!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #126 
Sharon, I like Dame May Witty too! But don't knock yourself out to see Devotion -- honestly, it's a real turkey.

But Black Narcissus was hypnotic and Deborah Kerr was sensational in it. It was just an incredible movie to watch. It's kind of funny that DK has played nuns in two such very different but both great movies. Come to think of it, she's played more than her share of nuns/nannies/governesses, etc.!

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #127 
Some favorites of mine on TCM tonight - must be Italy night because they're all Italy-centric.  Rome Adventure, Come September & Roman Holiday.  FYI

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #128 
Thanks, Sharon -- I've never seen Rome Adventure but I plan to watch it! I have seen the other two and will probably watch them again.

ETA: Got my movies mixed up! I have seen Rome Adventure! It's Come September I haven't seen, duh.

Yesterday I watched two movies I'd never seen before and Dame May Witty was in both of them! The first, The Sign of the Ram (starring Susan Peters and Phyllis Thaxter -- also Peggy Ann Garner), was pretty good -- kind of gothic family drama set in Cornwall that was very well acted and really held my interest. The second, Slightly Dangerous (starring Lana Turner and Robert Young) was a pretty lame, contrived comedy that let me do other things while it was on (g). Lana Turner was cute, though.

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #129 
OK ladies, my list is getting stupidly long... have had house guests this month...[yawn]

Watched a '95 movie tonite based on 1811 Jane Austen novel - now I KNOW you have all seen it a dozen times and own book, movie, etc. LOL...  'Sense and Sensibility'... first time I've seen it - sooo good!!  Did not know that Emma Thompson wrote the screenplay for the movie... and for once, it actually ended the way I WANTED it to end!!  Mr. Kaye would have played a much better looking Colonel in the movie - doing all the quiet, 'save the day' moves!!

Also watched the 'Monday night in June" Audrey Hepburn movie from 1964 - My Fair Lady - a classic... love the music!  Eliza Doolittle is supposedly 21ish in the movie - and IRL she was 34! WOW!!  Rex Harrison won for Best Actor that year ...  could the two of them at LEAST run into each others' arms at the very end??? :-)
Also did not know that AH did not do her own singing in the movie! (the narrator also burst my bubble telling that Deborah Kerr did not do her own singing in The King and I, another top favorite of mine!)
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #130 
My Fair Lady is one of those classics on the top of my list & I can never not watch if it's on.  AH is amazing in it.  BTW - she does do some singing but some of the high notes etc are dubbed and/or augmented - by Marnie Nixon if I'm not mistaken.  I could not possibly count the times I've seen it.  I also own it- plus I own the CD which is in my car along with all my other musical favorites.  I'm a musical junkie!  
I have not seen S&S except portions of it once so I'll just go along with your critique.  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #131 
That's right, Sharon... and she is also the one who sang for Deborah Kerr in K&I...

I have a question for you ladies...  how many of these old time classic movies do you OWN on DVD's???  And do you get them thru Amazon, auctions/sales, etc?
Thanks! 
(I can tell you that I OWN very few... when the old VCR machines went out, I stupidly gave away most of that movie collection (to classrooms, nursing homes...),  and am now trying to buy only my very favorites back on DVD!)  [sofa]
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #132 
I still have many on VHS but I always keep a VHS/DVD combo machine so I can play both.  I have a huge Disney collection as well as all of the musicals I've ever loved - most on both VHS & DVD - so I got it covered! I also have CDs of them all for my car.  As I said, I'm a junkie!  I think nowadays most people are more into digital downloading or streaming but I live in a time warp.  Yes Marnie Nixon sang for many stars in a lot of musicals.  One & the same.  It's funny that even though I own all of them I almost never play my own copies!  I am always just rewatching them on TCM.  IDK why that is.  There's something about finding it on my tv that is still appealing to me.  But some are rarely shown on tv so those I do play occasionally - like South Pacific & Carousel.   If you haven't caught those two yet - don't miss out!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #133 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderella
OK ladies, my list is getting stupidly long... have had house guests this month...[yawn]

Watched a '95 movie tonite based on 1811 Jane Austen novel - now I KNOW you have all seen it a dozen times and own book, movie, etc. LOL...  'Sense and Sensibility'... first time I've seen it - sooo good!!  Did not know that Emma Thompson wrote the screenplay for the movie... and for once, it actually ended the way I WANTED it to end!!  Mr. Kaye would have played a much better looking Colonel in the movie - doing all the quiet, 'save the day' moves!!

Just saw S&S again recently. TK as Colonel Brandon... YES!!! (I did love Alan Rickman in the role, though.) Did you know Greg Wise (Mr. Willoughby) is Emma Thompson's real life hubby?

Quote:
Also watched the 'Monday night in June" Audrey Hepburn movie from 1964 - My Fair Lady - a classic... love the music!  Eliza Doolittle is supposedly 21ish in the movie - and IRL she was 34! WOW!! Rex Harrison won for Best Actor that year ...  could the two of them at LEAST run into each others' arms at the very end??? :-)

From what I've read, G. B. Shaw's original Pygmalion play does not pair off Eliza and the professor at the end because it wasn't meant to be a romance. I'm pretty sure the Leslie Howard/Wendy Hiller movie version Pygmalion ends more like the musical, though (it's been a long time since I've seen it).

Quote:
Also did not know that AH did not do her own singing in the movie! (the narrator also burst my bubble telling that Deborah Kerr did not do her own singing in The King and I, another top favorite of mine!)

Yes, Marni Nixon sings for AH and DK, and she also sang for Natalie Wood in West Side Story. I think she also subs for Deborah Kerr in An Affair to Remember. (Sharon? LOL) Trivia note: Marni Nixon was the mother of Andrew Gold, who had a couple of hits in the '70's -- Christy and I loved his first one (Lonely Boy -- and the album it's on is fantastic) so much that we saw him perform at a local club when he came to town, but he's probably best known for Thank You For Being a Friend.

PS I also would kill to see TK as Henry Higgins.

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #134 
Quote:
That's right, Sharon... and she is also the one who sang for Deborah Kerr in K&I...

I have a question for you ladies...  how many of these old time classic movies do you OWN on DVD's???  And do you get them thru Amazon, auctions/sales, etc?
Thanks! 
(I can tell you that I OWN very few... when the old VCR machines went out, I stupidly gave away most of that movie collection (to classrooms, nursing homes...),  and am now trying to buy only my very favorites back on DVD!)  [sofa]

I don't think I have any DVD's of musicals -- I used to have some on VHS but I got rid of them since I never watched them anymore even though like Sharon I have a VCR/DVD combo (still in mourning for my kaput dual deck VCR, LOL). Thanks to TCM, Youtube, and streaming, it seems like there's always something to watch. I did buy Rent and Godspell on Amazon Prime, though -- I stream them with my Roku.

(Take it back, just remembered I have the Julie Andrews TV Cinderella on DVD. Totally imprinted on her when I was a kid and my parents had the original My Fair Lady and Camelot -- Richard Burton and Richard Goulet, sigh! -- Broadway soundtracks -- I still have both those albums, and on CD too).

Thanks for reminding me, Sharon -- I need to get a copy of South Pacific... I imprinted on the Broadway cast album with Mary Martin since my parents had it, but I love the movie version, too. That also reminds me, I need to get a copy of the Mary Martin Peter Pan if it's out there (had a VHS copy but the quality was terrible). Have the PP cast album on CD and vinyl.

I do have some Disney movies on VHS, including both Fantasias, and some Disney movies on DVD as well. (Sometimes I think Sharon was Christy's and my triplet separated at birth!)

Otherwise my DVD collection mostly consists an embarrassing number of '60's/'70's TV shows boxed sets of various seasons.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #135 
I think one of the things that heavily influenced my love of musicals/show tunes was singing in HS chorus!  I sang for 3 yrs in the 60's when all those great musicals were either on Broadway at the time or in local theaters in the movie versions & so I saw each one & then sang the tunes in school & it has been a love affair all my life!  Nothing is better to me than singing along with them!  
I would agree with being one of the triplets but since I'm older than you two I'll be the older sis!  I have sets of old tv shows, too.  [sofa]    I have copies of I Love Lucy stashed everywhere.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #136 
Quote:
I think one of the things that heavily influenced my love of musicals/show tunes was singing in HS chorus!  I sang for 3 yrs in the 60's when all those great musicals were either on Broadway at the time or in local theaters in the movie versions & so I saw each one & then sang the tunes in school & it has been a love affair all my life!  Nothing is better to me than singing along with them!  
I would agree with being one of the triplets but since I'm older than you two I'll be the older sis!  I have sets of old tv shows, too.  [sofa]    I have copies of I Love Lucy stashed everywhere.  

Ditto! I have all five seasons and a random ILL DVD is never far from my DVD player.

I know what you mean about singing along with musicals! So many memorable tunes and lyrics. I envy you for being able to sing -- I can't, so I only do it in my home or car!

When I was looking at TCM's schedule earlier, there was a popup to join TCM Backlot. It's $7.25/mo. and you get a T-shirt. So what the hell, I joined -- I figure it's the least I could do.

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #137 
Zenderella, when it comes to old movies some of the ones I own are GTWT, The Wizard of Oz, It's A Wonderful Life, a shit ton of Errol Flynn movies (Kathy and I graduated from 16mm to super 8 mm to VHS to DVDs where he was concerned, LOL) and Disney animated movies (Lady & The Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, Fantasia, 101 Dalmations, Peter Pan, etc.), The Long Long Trailer and Forever Darling w/Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz, my fave Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepurn movie The Desk Set, my fave Cary Grant movies (Holiday, Penny Serenade, People Will Talk), both versions of Imitation of Life, The Best of Everything, a couple of other movies Jeanne Crain was in (Leave Her to Heaven, An Apartment for Peggy), and oh, come to think of it I actually own 3 Rock Hudson movies (Pillow Talk, The Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows)...I have a bunch of Haley Mills movies too - The Trouble With Angels, The Chalk Garden, Summer Magic, The Moon-Spinners...

I don't think I've thought to mention this before but Roku has or had an old movie app called Classic Reel. This app used to have a fantastic selection. But I don't know what happened, but they lost almost all of their movies, and the app didn't work for awhile. Then it came back, with only a few old movies (not particularly good ones). But over time it's started to build itself back up though it still isn't nearly as good as originally. I am not sure if the app is still available to new subscribers but it was only $1.99 so if it is it might be worth it.

I also have a lot of old TV shows on DVD! I think the very first set I ever got was I Love Lucy, followed by That Girl. I still have a dual deck VCR but it's more of a dust catcher now. I still do have a box of VHS tapes (a lot of the Errol Flynn and Disney movies I have on DVD I originally got as VHS tapes) but I've gotten rid of most of them. But I'm also old school, I prefer having DVD versions of movies and TV shows I want to keep for posterity.

Sharon - I also have a My Fair Lady CD in my car! I have the Julie Andrews version though since that's what I imprinted on. (Have Camelot too, the OC cast recording of course, the Camelot movie so sucked IMO!). I do love the Audrey Hepburn MFL movie, too, though!

Zenderella...I really like that version of Sense & Sensibility. I'm a big fan of that book too and Emma Thompson did a wonderful job with it. I loved Alan Rickman as Co.l Brandon and would looove to see TK in that role.

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #138 
Wow - Christy I believe I have copies of most of the ones you listed here - plus a multitude of others!  I have everything in VHS & then most of it again on DVD when that came out.  I never get rid of anything!  Pack-rat.  I started buying Disney movies yrs ago in anticipation of g'kids & have both VHS & DVD versions.  My grands love browsing through my collection & chosing one to watch - so I got my wish!  
The other day my oldest g'son chose Shark AttackII - LOL- but I had to nix it bec of the language.  At 10, he's not ready to hear that yet!  But he really wanted to see it!  
ILL was my first complete collection - I bought the set back in the 80's on VHS & my nephew was my ILL junkie like me!  Everytime he came over to stay that's what he wanted to see!  My own kids never watched one!  I will prob will that collection to him some day.  But now I have most of the entire collection on DVDs - although they are not commercial free like the orig - but my recordings.  
Kathy, believe me I don't sing much anymore!  That was in my youth & was a great introduction to wonderful music but those days are gone.  I only sing in my car or shower in private now!  Can't hit the high notes these days.  
Here's a little anecdote - when my kids were teens they were all into heavy metal etc & often asked permission to see one of those bands in concert.  Well I would agree but only under my terms - the price they had to pay for the privilege was agreeing to watch one of my musicals & write me a report on it!  They always agreed & that way I was able to get them to listen to some 'real' music along with their stuff!  They still talk about that, but I never regretted it.  
FWIW, my 10yr old grandson & I were talking the other day & I mentioned The Sound Of Music to him & was going to try that on him & he proudly proclaimed that he had not only seen it but his music class at school taught them to sing the songs & he knew them by heart!  There's hope!!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #139 
Cool movies on TCM today including West Side Story.  Kathy, I meant to respond to your TCM Backlot club post - you beat me to it!  I have been thinking of joining just because but haven't pulled the trigger yet - now I think I will, too!  Happy 4th of July everyone!

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #140 
Quote:
Wow - Christy I believe I have copies of most of the ones you listed here - plus a multitude of others!  I have everything in VHS & then most of it again on DVD when that came out.  I never get rid of anything!  Pack-rat.  I started buying Disney movies yrs ago in anticipation of g'kids & have both VHS & DVD versions.  My grands love browsing through my collection & chosing one to watch - so I got my wish!  
The other day my oldest g'son chose Shark AttackII - LOL- but I had to nix it bec of the language.  At 10, he's not ready to hear that yet!  But he really wanted to see it!

Aww... you are definitely a good grandmother!  It must be so much fun to watch those movies with them and introduce your favorites to the next generation. Which ones are their favorites?

If you want a censored version of SAII just let me know where to mute and I'll make a PG copy for your g'son, LOL.

Speaking of ILL, did you watch Forever Darling? I tried to watch it on TCM On Demand (from my laptop to the TV) but It crapped out midway through and I couldn't get it to restart. But in a way I wasn't sorry because that movie can't hold a candle to The Long Long Trailer.

Quote:
Here's a little anecdote - when my kids were teens they were all into heavy metal etc & often asked permission to see one of those bands in concert.  Well I would agree but only under my terms - the price they had to pay for the privilege was agreeing to watch one of my musicals & write me a report on it!  They always agreed & that way I was able to get them to listen to some 'real' music along with their stuff!  They still talk about that, but I never regretted it. 

You should write a book on child-rearing! Did they ever listen to musicals on their own?

Quote:
FWIW, my 10yr old grandson & I were talking the other day & I mentioned The Sound Of Music to him & was going to try that on him & he proudly proclaimed that he had not only seen it but his music class at school taught them to sing the songs & he knew them by heart!  There's hope!!

The hills are aliiiiiive....

Quote:
Cool movies on TCM today including West Side Story.  Kathy, I meant to respond to your TCM Backlot club post - you beat me to it!  I have been thinking of joining just because but haven't pulled the trigger yet - now I think I will, too!  Happy 4th of July everyone!

Thanks! (And that's OK -- I know how it feels to get behind!) Did you join? All I've gotten so far is the welcoming email.

What have you been watching lately? This is Ronald Colman month on TCM so I'm on Cloud 9. The other night Jim and I watched The White Sister, which also starred Lillian Gish, who is another favorite of mine. Or maybe I should say was because she seems a lot hammier to me now than she used to (when I was just getting into old movies many years ago).

Yesterday I watched The 39 Steps (Robert Donat sigh) and Jamaica Inn (eh). Gonna check out some more Ronald Colman movies later.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #141 
Wow Kathy - I'm humbled by your compliments!  Thanks so much!  But as long as my g'kids like me, I'm good.  
Yes I've seen Forever Darling sev times but like you said, it can't hold a candle to TLLT!  It doesn't make me laugh like that one - espec poor Grace!!  
Yes it is def fun watching some of my fav movies & old tv shows with my grands!  Espec the oldest one - he def has my taste!  I would say that he used to love Cinderella (I know he's a boy!) best as a toddler, preschooler but then he got into other stuff & I guess his current fav is The Shaggy Dog - orig version.  He was fascinated with it & picked up on stuff I missed every time I'd seen it!  The 'amulet' in the story totally captivated him as well as Tommy Kirk turning into a dog & back again!  He also likes Swiss Family Robinson which is a fav of mine, too - they both are!  
If you ever get time I'd love to have a PG version of SAII - I know my grandson would appreciate it, too!  
No, sadly my kids never watched musicals on their own but would suffer through them with me.  No complaints.  My son was in HS & college marching bands so he loves all types of music including those.  
I haven't joined TCM Backlot club yet - let me know if it gets better!  I think I'd enjoy the message board talking to other movie lovers.
I missed The White Sister - but for me the best I saw Lillian  Gish was in Robt Mitchum's movie, Night of the Hunter,  which I mentioned further up thread.  She is wonderful in that!   I like Ronald Colman, too.  Espec the one with Greer Garson.  Right now we're watching Some Like it Hot on This-TV - which is at the top of the 100 all-time best lists.  IDK if you would like it since Marilyn Monroe is in it, but I think it's just fabulous!  FYI- there are sev Doris Day movies on late tonight - wee hours to early a.m. that I love- including By the Light of the Silvery Moon & Moonlight Bay - couple of favorites for me.  Got my DVR ready.  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #142 
Looked for the Doris Day movies so I could record them, but they weren't on here...
Sharon, I love sharing movies with kids, too!  I bought and watched Mary Poppins with our 7 yr old niece, and she had memorized and was singing all the songs afterwards!  Hard to believe that one is 50+ years old!

Watched Rebecca last night...  (of course had to stop and watch Steven Colbert LOL), but then had to watch the ending before going to bed...  Had seen this one years ago, but 'saw' it differently this time!  What a JERK the husband was!!  And Joan Fontaine was every bit as beautiful as any 'first wife' could have been!!?  (Laurence Olivier threw a fit IRL because Vivien Leigh wasn't chosen to play the Mrs. - but a portrait of HER on the wall would have made a perfect FIRST wife!!)
Judith Anderson as Ms. Danvers reminded me of Mrs. Murdock, Nina's grandmother/housekeeper at Palmer's mansion on AMC - only X 1,000!!! Creepy!!
Wonder where they found such a HUGE estate to stage the movie?  And if the Mr. had gone to jail at the end, it wouldn't have bothered me at all!
Best movie of 1940... Hitchcock... wonder what the other entries were...
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #143 
That's odd.  Well I enjoyed them both!  Kathy- tonight is Ronald Colman night on TCM - hope you have your recorder set!  I saw some of Rebecca off & on but I'm thinking the same thing - her hub got off light!  My grands saw Mary Poppins & enjoyed it!  It is hard to believe MP is over 50 yrs old!  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #144 
Watched Woman of the Year tonight - that movie is 75 years old!  Sharon, loved the wedding scene with Katharine Hepburn realizing what a terrible wife she's been (Fay Bainter made a beautiful bride!)... and the scene in the kitchen at the end?  Oh my - Spencer Tracy never said a word while she was fixing breakfast and he stole the scene!  TK could have been a perfect replacement there!! LOL!

And Kathy, have not seen the Backlot Club, but did notice the TCM Wine Club!  We are not wine drinkers, but I would love to have some of those movie themed bottles!!   Looked it up, and you get a special introductory offer of 12 bottles and 3 "free" movie themed bottles for only $79.99 + 19.99 shipping...  then you have a CASE delivered QUARTERLY for $149.99 + 19.99 shipping...  looks like maybe the ONLY movie themed bottles come in the first shipment, hmmmm...  Not interested here, but if anyone is willing to admit they belong, let us know what the bottles look like! [sofa]
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #145 
I saw Woman of the Year, too!  I can never pass that up!  IA about the wedding scene - it is amazing!  And the kitchen scene at the end is all kinds of awesome! IA that ST steals that whole thing w/o a word & I often think how much his acting style reminds me of TK!
Last night they showed Dr Zhivago -another long-time fav of mine.  I saw parts of it but it's so long & there was a lot going on so I couldn't stay with it.  Not that I haven't seen it 100 times & know it by heart!  TCM has been on a roll lately.

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #146 
Zenderella, every time I see that TCM wine club commercial, I want to join! They make those wines sound so good -- and I'm not exactly a fancy wine drinker (cheap muscato does it for me). So it's probably a good thing I can't really drink much anymore anyway. but I love the concept. (Please TCM... don't ever start matching movies to chocolate!)

YES -- add me to the TK in the Sam Craig role contingent! I love the kitchen scene too. Spencer Tracy is another actor I've come to really like in recent years.

But oh... my main man Ronald Colman! So many movies, so little time! I watched Lost Horizon and If I Were King the other night and he was so good and so TK-ish.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #147 
FYI Kathy -  tonight is Ronald Colman night on TCM - lots of great ones!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #148 
Thanks, Sharon! I just looked at the schedule and there's a lot I plan to watch. Seems like I just saw it, but RC is so wonderful in A Tale of Two Cities I'll watch it again tonight. And TCM is also showing another RC favorite of mine, one that I can't even remember the last time I saw, Lucky Partners. It's a cute comedy romance w/Ginger Rogers. Then there's a movie I've never seen before, too -- My Life With Caroline, also starring Anna Lee.

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #149 
... still waiting for Ronald Colman movies to pop up... have been going thru the entire week and recording, so I've always got something ready to try... :-)

crossed 2 off the list this week - saw Alfred Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder...  Grace Kelly is absolutely breathtaking, but my goodness could her character muster up even an ounce of standing up for herself(?)...  glad I saw it, but would not watch again...

The other one I watched last night...  The Lion in Winter... Katharine Hepburn tied with Barbra Streisand for best actress that year (Funny Girl)... so always wondered about TLIW...  Now I know someone is going to tell me it is one of their favorites, but at intermission I was ready to delete!  (glad I didn't, because the 2nd half got better)  It never explained WHY all three sons HATED their mother so much, WHY the father loved and wanted his obviously brain damaged son to be king, and why the Queen would put up with being imprisoned for 10 years, etc.
KH did a great acting job, Peter O'Toole was nothing but a monster...  the only character that I halfway liked was the mistress Alais! LOL 
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #150 
So how was Timothy Dalton, Zenderella? He's one of my faves, but he makes it hard, because he's usually in things that aren't my cup of tea. I've never had any desire to see The Lion In Winter, even though I like a lot of the other actors in it, because it just sounds so... unpleasant!

Last night I watched Inherit the Wind and was kind of underwhelmed. Of course it was based on a play based on a real incident, but it had such a stage-y, overacted feel, at least to me. Dick York (as the teacher on trial) was really good though.

Hey -- I got my TCM Backlot T-shirt! In fact, they sent me two of them!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.