Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #51 
Sharon, you got that right, LOL! Glad you made it through unscathed yesterday -- I think we got your weather today, lots of rain, thunderstorms, and tornado warnings. B&B was completely preempted for weather updates, so good thing it was a non-Ridge day.

I'm getting behind with all the movies I want to watch on TCM! I need to finish watching a Ginger Rogers movie I started yesterday that I'd never seen before, Fifth Avenue Girl, and tonight TCM's showing another of my favorites, David Copperfield -- I love me some Edna Mae Oliver!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Kathy short on time but have to say Edna Mae Oliver is a treasure!  I could watch her all. day. long!  We made it through ok, thanks, but today is like we're living in Oz or something - crazy wind!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #53 
I loved Fifth Avenue Girl - I had never seen it before. But the mansion in Holiday was more impressive <g>. I'm pretty sure the ubiquitious Jack Carson had a small part in it but I didn't feel like looking it up on IMDB.

I also love Edna Mae Oliver...sheer perfection as Aunt Betsy Trotwood!

zenderella

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Hey 'movie monsters' - watched Holiday...  you were right, TK would have been perfect for the Cary Grant role!!  Also loved the lavish home and Katherine Hepburn, BUT did not care for the plot that much because of the "sister gets the guy" theme - reminds me too much of B&B! lol

Am in the middle of David Copperfield...  gotta love Aunt Trotwood... did not know the actress's real name before this...  and W.C. Fields reminds me of Billy Clyde Tuggle! Is that who he fashioned his character choice after??

This morning I watched The Secret Garden...  Margaret O'Brien was the most incredible child actor I've seen for a long long time!!  And when they opened the door and the garden was in color - that was magical!  Any other movies with Margaret O'Brien in them that you liked? 
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderella
Hey 'movie monsters' - watched Holiday...  you were right, TK would have been perfect for the Cary Grant role!!  Also loved the lavish home and Katherine Hepburn, BUT did not care for the plot that much because of the "sister gets the guy" theme - reminds me too much of B&B! lol

OMG, that's hilarious! I also have to admit that as much as I love this movie, the way down-to-earth "Linda" praises and idolizes the mercenary "Julia" always bugs me.

Quote:
Am in the middle of David Copperfield...  gotta love Aunt Trotwood... did not know the actress's real name before this...  and W.C. Fields reminds me of Billy Clyde Tuggle! Is that who he fashioned his character choice after??

I don't know - interesting idea!

Quote:
This morning I watched The Secret Garden...  Margaret O'Brien was the most incredible child actor I've seen for a long long time!!  And when they opened the door and the garden was in color - that was magical!  Any other movies with Margaret O'Brien in them that you liked? 

I love that movie, and the book it's based on. The same author (Frances Hodgson Burnett) also wrote the book that one of the few Shirley Temple movies I can sit through, The Little Princess, was based on.

My favorite Margaret O'Brien movie, though, is Our Vines Have Tender Grapes. Her parents are played by Edward G. Robinson and Agnes Moorhead in amazing, touching performances...it's a killer!

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Our Vines Have Tender Grapes is one of my favs - love EGR in this one - he shows his brilliant talent & awesome acting range with his wonderful relationship with his little daughter.  I also love him in A Hole in the Head - great!  I watched David Copperfield, too - and Edna May Oliver is incomparable - she's amazing to watch!  I also love EMO in Pride & Prejudice as well as Aunt March in Little Women - the orig version.  What a treasure she is!  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #57 
OK, ladies, my list is so long now it's going to take awhile to find and watch them all!

Looked ahead and recorded all I could find on TMC channel...  Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is coming up later this week...
Is anyone else watching "Bette/Joan Feud"??  It's on Sunday nights - really goes into the nit picking behind the scenes of making of a movie!  They had a little bit of 'Frank Sinatra' in a movie - and what a prima donna JERK he was !!!  I always thought he was Mr. Nice Guy! 

Watched "State Fair" yesterday... that is one of the shows they are doing at our outdoor theater this summer...  Jeanne Crain was breathtakingly beautiful !!  The movie reminded me of "Charlotte's Web," except for the two love interest stories running through it... and MY GOODNESS - did the people back in the 40's actually dress up that much when going to the hot, summer State Fair???  The women were dressed like they were going to a wedding and the men had on coats/ties!!

My 'movie obsession' started in the 60's/70's ... We always try to see all the Academy Award nominated movies before the Awards Show... and more likely than not, don't agree with the ones chosen as winners...

anyone have a favorite movie from the last 50 tears?   (that's still "old" isn't it?) LOL

The first time we saw "Dances with Wolves," we were almost speechless it was so good... (Kevin Costner)
Also love "As Good as it Gets" with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt (also Greg Kinnear, best movie I've seen him in)
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #58 

Quote:
OK, ladies, my list is so long now it's going to take awhile to find and watch them all!

Looked ahead and recorded all I could find on TMC channel...  Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is coming up later this week...
Is anyone else watching "Bette/Joan Feud"??  It's on Sunday nights - really goes into the nit picking behind the scenes of making of a movie!  They had a little bit of 'Frank Sinatra' in a movie - and what a prima donna JERK he was !!!  I always thought he was Mr. Nice Guy! 

I plan to watch the Bette/Joan miniseries when I can binge watch the whole series as I don’t use a DVR and I can never remember when anything is on (except B&B). As for Frank Sinatra, I made the mistake of reading a comprehensive bio of him years ago – I never thought he was Mr. Nice Guy but -- yikes! But then most actor bios are like that – don’t ever read a Cary Grant bio either :/

Quote:
Watched "State Fair" yesterday... that is one of the shows they are doing at our outdoor theater this summer...  Jeanne Crain was breathtakingly beautiful !!  The movie reminded me of "Charlotte's Egg," except for the two love interest stories running through it... and MY GOODNESS - did the people back in the 40's actually dress up that much when going to the hot, summer State Fair???  The women were dressed like they were going to a wedding and the men had on coats/ties!!

This is hilarious, I think the exact same thing every time I watch State Fair. Plus, they didn’t even stay in a hotel, they basically camped at the fair, so that made it even more puzzling!  I also like Jeanne Crain – she’s in one of my favorite Cary Grant movies, People Will Talk. I recommend An Apartment for Peggy, Pinky, and A Letter To Three Wives if you haven’t seen them.

Quote:
My 'movie obsession' started in the 60's/70's ... We always try to see all the Academy Award nominated movies before the Awards Show... and more likely than not, don't agree with the ones chosen as winners...

anyone have a favorite movie from the last 50 tears?   (that's still "old" isn't it?) LOL

The first time we saw "Dances with Wolves," we were almost speechless it was so good... (Kevin Costner)
Also love "As Good as it Gets" with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt (also Greg Kinnear, best movie I've seen him in)

It’s hard to think of any “contemporary” (for me) favorite movies, the ones that I never tire of are all over the  map. They range from This Is Spinal Tap to A Room With A View to Rent to Enchanted. Kathy probably already mentioned Ondine (filmed in Ireland), I love that, and I discovered a Maggie Smith movie called Time After Time on Netflix that is my kind of movie too. The only fairly recent movie (for me) that's left me speechless though is Pan's Labyrinth -- I loved the two female protagonists in this movie so much, I've really never seen anything like it.

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
Our Vines Have Tender Grapes is one of my favs - love EGR in this one - he shows his brilliant talent & awesome acting range with his wonderful relationship with his little daughter.  I also love him in A Hole in the Head - great!  I watched David Copperfield, too - and Edna May Oliver is incomparable - she's amazing to watch!  I also love EMO in Pride & Prejudice as well as Aunt March in Little Women - the orig version.  What a treasure she is!  

Donkeys! (I think of that every time I see EMO, thanks to David Copperfield -- I just watched that again, too.) She's wonderful in A Tale of Two Cities, also (If you haven't seen that one). The fight scene between Miss Pross and Madame DeFarge always has me on the edge of my seat even though I know how it turns out! I agree, she's also wonderful in P&P and LW. Incomparable is really the word -- she's just unique!

I've never seen A Hold in the Head so I'll be looking out for that one!

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #60 
The past 50 years, Zenderella? Hmm... I'll have to put on my thinking cap! You know what's really depressing? The first movie that popped into my mind was A Hard Day's Night because of everything it evokes for me... before I realized that was 53 years ago! Harold and Maude? I didn't even expect to like it, but I ended up loving it so much.

I remember seeing Dances With Wolves and really liking it, but I've never seen As Good as it Gets. Have you ever seen Broadcast News with William Hurt, Albert Brooks, and Holly Hunter? That's one I never miss, not because it's such a great movie (it does have its moments... and classic '80's fashion!) but because a scene it it was filmed in the auditorium of the building I worked in, and William Hurt walked right past me going into the building. He was none too thrilled having to evade star-stuck Federal employees, LOL. Still, I didn't get much work done that day!

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #61 
I like As Good as it Gets, too - but my husband was crazy about it.  He's a big JN fan.  One that is fairly contemporary (in my time warp!) that I liked is Peggy Sue Got Married - it's pretty much the feminine version of Back to the Future.  Kathleen Turner falls at her HS Reunion & hits her head & goes back in time to 1960 when they were all seniors in HS - it's so cool!  Love the scenes when she visits her grandparents - it's a delight!  I never get tired of that one.  Wm Hurt fascinated me in Body Heat, which is pretty much the same story as Double Indemnity.  
Kathy I've seen EMO in Tale of Two Cities - she is amazing in everything!  I love CG in People Will Talk & love State Fair - there are two versions of that one btw.  I think the one with Jeanne Crain is the remake.  We sang music from SF in chorus when I as in HS.
Kathy, it goes without saying that A Hard Day's Night is at the top of my list!  I saw it maybe 10 times during it's run along with my bff.
We knew all the dialogue & used to have sleepovers & fall asleep listening to the soundtrack!  Loved me some Beatles!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
  One that is fairly contemporary (in my time warp!) that I liked is Peggy Sue Got Married - it's pretty much the feminine version of Back to the Future.  Kathleen Turner falls at her HS Reunion & hits her head & goes back in time to 1960 when they were all seniors in HS - it's so cool!  Love the scenes when she visits her grandparents - it's a delight!  I never get tired of that one.  Wm Hurt fascinated me in Body Heat, which is pretty much the same story as Double Indemnity.  
Kathy I've seen EMO in Tale of Two Cities - she is amazing in everything!  I love CG in People Will Talk & love State Fair - there are two versions of that one btw.  I think the one with Jeanne Crain is the remake.  We sang music from SF in chorus when I as in HS.
Kathy, it goes without saying that A Hard Day's Night is at the top of my list!  I saw it maybe 10 times during it's run along with my bff.
We knew all the dialogue & used to have sleepovers & fall asleep listening to the soundtrack!  Loved me some Beatles!  

Sharon, I almost mentioned Peggy Sue Got Married - it's one I own! It made me cry like a baby even when it first came out, though - now it's almost unbearable for me to watch but I do anyway. Unfortunately, I can't stand Nicholas Cage and the only movie I like that he's in where I can tolerate him is It Should Happen To You.

Fellow Beatles fan here! Was so obsessed with them. Still pissed they cut out Paul's individual segment in A Hard Day's Night.

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #63 
Ohh... ditto on PSGM! That's one of those movies that left me in a real daze when it was over.

And now that Christy mentioned it, It Could Happen to You is a total favorite '90's movie that I forgot to mention-- it's just such a sweet movie, and Bridget Fonda is adorable in it. (Jim does a killer impression of Rosie Perez's character, LOL.) Another movie from that era that I wanted to go right back into the theater and watch again right away was Who Killed Roger Rabbit. I just loved the concept of Tune Town and the animation was so great.

Sharon, Christy's and my father took us to see A Hard Day's Night the first time we saw it and he loved it too! We saw it many times after that and it has never fails to get to me on so many different levels the older I get. I enjoy Help! as well, mainly for the music -- I always thought the Beatles deserved a better story than that. Another fave is the Dave Clark 5's 1965 Having a Wild Weekend -- despite the title it's a more thoughtful kind of movie.

ETA: I'm gonna squeeze To Sir With Love in here too. Wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen that one! '60's London! And I love Sidney Poitier.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #64 
I saw AHDN with my bff - the one who went on the RTS cruise with me.  We saw everything!  While I'm thinking of it one of my contemporary favs is Walking Across  Egypt  - another friend was watching with me & thinks the main character reminds her of me!
LOL!  Mostly because she loves her soaps & gets stuck in her chair!  I love the movie - always get misty.  The boy from Home Improvement - Jonathan Taylor Thomas is in it - very sentimental for me.  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #65 
Walking Across Egypt and Pan's Labyrinth  - will try to find them at the video store...
Have seen and liked most of the other ones you've mentioned... may have to look up Hard Day's Night to watch again also...

Love all musicals... watched Show Boat yesterday - great dancing! and had forgotten the ending - what a sad ending for Julie, the star of the show who had to leave town...  gotta love when the little girl is tap dancing with her grandpa!!

Another favorite from the 80's for me is Witness, with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis (as the widowed Amish mom)...
so many great acting moments for HF in that one, and TK would have been an awesome substitute in that role!  Always wished they would do a sequel to that movie...

Thanks again, ladies, for all the recommendations - my tv is almost 85% full of TCM movies ready to watch!
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #66 
Zenderella - I've seen Witness and ITA that TK would have been awesome in the HF role.

TCM showed a bunch of Howard Keel movies yesterday - thank goodness for the TCM app! I know what you mean about Show Boat. As much as I like Howard Keel I have to kind of brace myself to watch it for that reason. Have you ever seen Kiss Me Kate or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? I really like both of those.

A warning about Pan's Labyrinth - it's very dark and there's some shocking violence, and it's in Spanish with English subtitles. It's not my type of movie at all (I'm like you, I like musicals!) and the friends we saw it with couldn't believe Kathy and I loved it and they hated it, usually it's the other way around when we see movies together) but it just really got to us.

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #67 
Showboat is a big fav of mine - love the songs.  Last night one of my favs was on TCM - Journey for Margaret - awesome wartime story.  I have sev wartime favs - The White Cliffs of Dover & of course, Mrs Minerva - they are all wonderful!

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #68 

Well, cross two more off my list... watched Mildred Pierce - and Joan Crawford definitely deserved an Oscar for that one!  Had seen it before, but didn't know the name of it... I have never been so glad to see that certain someone dragged off to prison!!

Also saw Old Acquaintance with Bette Davis... she could have easily been nominated for that picture!!  I recommend that B&B writers watch that movie!  There were lots of good lines they could 'borrow' - AND the Bette Davis character was classy and kept repeating that "there are just some things a woman should NOT DO" (meaning get mixed up with any girlfriend's husband!)  Brooke should definitely watch!!  LOL

It was interesting that Bette at the beginning of that movie looked like a very plain Jane!  And then as the movie went on, they started adding makeup and dressing her up until she looked striking!  (or else maybe her looks just grew on me...)

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:

Well, cross two more off my list... watched Mildred Pierce - and Joan Crawford definitely deserved an Oscar for that one!  Had seen it before, but didn't know the name of it... I have never been so glad to see that certain someone dragged off to prison!!

Also saw Old Acquaintance with Bette Davis... she could have easily been nominated for that picture!!  I recommend that B&B writers watch that movie!  There were lots of good lines they could 'borrow' - AND the Bette Davis character was classy and kept repeating that "there are just some things a woman should NOT DO" (meaning get mixed up with any girlfriend's husband!)  Brooke should definitely watch!!  LOL

It was interesting that Bette at the beginning of that movie looked like a very plain Jane!  And then as the movie went on, they started adding makeup and dressing her up until she looked striking!  (or else maybe her looks just grew on me...)

ITA about Old Acquaintance - Bette Davis was sublime. I almost for sorry for Miriam Hopkins for getting stuck with the Millie role. I was flabbergasted that the movie all but came right out and said that Kit and Rod (Rud? Russ? Runt? I never could quite catch his correct name) were sleeping together, too. ITA B&B's writers -- all soap writers for that matter -- could learn a lot from this movie...Kit Marlowe was such a great, strong character. I hated all the smoking in this movie, though...I swear I could smell that awful cigarette smoke stench as I watched the movie.

Since you liked Mildred Pierce, I recommend Harriet Craig -- Joan Crawford plays a possessive wife who becomes more and more unspooled. It was riveting and I almost didn't want it to end! 

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #70 
Christy I have the same prob watching old movies with the horrid cig smoke!  I know it was cool back then but like you said, I can almost smell the stench!
Gotta share - last wk I was watching the old Carol Burnett show & she did her parody of MP - Mildred Fierce- catch it if you can - it is a gem!  
Last wk was the jackpot for old movies on TCM - Magnificent Obsession & All That Heaven Allows plus sev others.  
Also they featured one entire day focusing on character actors - love the ones with Fay Bainter - she's a fav.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Christy I have the same prob watching old movies with the horrid cig smoke!  I know it was cool back then but like you said, I can almost smell the stench!
Gotta share - last wk I was watching the old Carol Burnett show & she did her parody of MP - Mildred Fierce- catch it if you can - it is a gem!  
Last wk was the jackpot for old movies on TCM - Magnificent Obsession & All That Heaven Allows plus sev others.  
Also they featured one entire day focusing on character actors - love the ones with Fay Bainter - she's a fav.  

Sharon, I also like Fay Bainter- she played Katharine Hepburn's sister in Quality Street and as much as I liked KH in it, I thought she made the movie.

Looking at movies on demand on TCM was like hitting the jackpot! It's funny because I own several of those movies but I still get excited when TCM shows them LOL.

I don't think I've seen Mildred Fierce since it originally was on the Carol Burnett show but after you mentioned it I knew I had to see it again and luckily it's on You Tube.

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #72 
Bwahahahahahahaha!!! Mildred Fierce was brilliant!!! It's funny, I was just trying to watch B&B on the CBS app but it kept crapping out on me, so I came here to check out the board. Sally on day 5 or whatever it is by now of her in that tacky tight-skirted outfit had finally started reminding me of Mrs Wiggins mincing around the office -- and Christy had posted a Carol Burnett skit. CB did such great movie parodies -- one I would love to see again is Rhoda Dimple but it doesn't seem to be available on YouTube.

(The name Rhoda reminds me of The Bad Seed... and I'd definitely have to put that one my list, it's just so watchably OTT!)

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #73 
Thanks for the CB clip - loved her show!  Read her autobiography - very interesting and hard growing up years!!
The Bad Seed - LOLOL... that one gave me nightmares and unfortunately have known some children over the years who reminded me of the little girl!!

Saw "Gifted" movie yesterday - very good, and the little girl steals the show... her name is McKenna Grace :-)

Anyway, been away for a week... have watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane... both actresses were excellent... love the actress who played the maid... and I like when the announcer comes on before the movie and gives some little true facts about the film - like the guy who played the piano/Baby Jane crush died at 43 irl!
Has anyone read the book that B.D. wrote about her mother, Bette Davis? I looked it up on Amazon and it was too expensive...

Also watched 7 Brides for 7 Brothers... the dancing in that show was amazing - wonder how many times they had to film the dance scenes/fighting scenes before they were perfect??  And the 7 brides... when they did their number in their undergarments - WOW... their waists were cinched smaller than Scarlet Ohara's!!

This morning I watched Kiss Me, Kate... did not even recognize Howard Keel at first, with his face shaven and dark hair!!  The tap dancing - especially Ann Miller's - was so top notch... and Bob Fosse is one of the dancer/characters!
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #74 
I haven't read B.D.'s book, but I remember there was a lot of controversy about it when it came out. I did read The Lonely Life many years ago and IIFC got the impression they were close, so...who knows but

Glad you enjoyed 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and Kiss Me Kate! It's extremely ironic I enjoy them both so much because they are two of the most sexist movies ever made! But they are so colorfully entertaining had have such great scores.

Coincidentally re The Bad Seed, I came across some old documentary on child stars the other day and Patty McCormack was in it briefly. I never would have recognized her. That's one movie I always stop and watch when it's on but I just hate at the end when the actors take their bows and the actress who plays the mother spanks her. I'm like WTF - that's child abuse!!!!

zenderella

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #75 
Yes, Christy, that's pretty bad!  Guess I never watched that far at the end...
The bad guy in that movie always reminded me of the evil Ray Gardner on AMC...

Have two more oldies under my belt - watched Gilda for the first time... Rita Hayworth has to be one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood history!! 
Also, watched Lilies of the Field with Sydney Portier...  I remember he won the Academy Award for that one - lots of touching moments...

I have Agnes Nixon's book, but have not started it yet...
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Yes, Christy, that's pretty bad!  Guess I never watched that far at the end...
The bad guy in that movie always reminded me of the evil Ray Gardner on AMC...

Have two more oldies under my belt - watched Gilda for the first time... Rita Hayworth has to be one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood history!! 
Also, watched Lilies of the Field with Sydney Portier...  I remember he won the Academy Award for that one - lots of touching moments...

I have Agnes Nixon's book, but have not started it yet...

ITA about Rita Hayworth - she was gorgeous! I think she and Ginger Rogers were cousins. Ginger Rogers and Lucille Ball were also related somehow. But I have to admit I am not a fan of Glenn Ford.

Kathy and I saw Lilies of the Field when it first came out and loved it! I've been a fan of Sidney Poitier since then - another one of his I never miss (that we saw when it came out too LOL) is A Patch of Blue. My fave of his though is To Sir With Love. Love, love, love that movie!!!! Have you seen either of those? And I've always loved the theme song, too. Lulu is actually appearing soon at a local club that we go to occasionally and I'd go see if her all she did was sing that song over and over [wink].

zenderella

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #77 
Yes, have seen A Patch of Blue (they had to cut the kissing scenes in the South because of the interracial theme...) and To Sir, With Love... went with my cousin and we thought it was a "grownup movie" compared to Doris Day, Hayley Mills, etc. lol

Isn't it fun when an old movie or song is part of you - and you remember where you were and who you were with?

Just watched Without a Doubt, with Joseph Cotton... it was a pretty good Hitchcock movie... the mom in that one was so totally clueless...(?) It was interesting to see Hume Cronyn in his movie debut! Love him!

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #78 
2 fine ones on TCM today - The Trouble with Harry & Night of the Hunter.  The first is Hitchcock - macabre humor but also a little romance - it's quirky!  The second is considered a masterpiece today - it's both creepy & poetic - at times hard to watch but Robert Mitchum is fascinatingly terrifying!  Worth watching for sure.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #79 
Quote:
Yes, have seen A Patch of Blue (they had to cut the kissing scenes in the South because of the interracial theme...) and To Sir, With Love... went with my cousin and we thought it was a "grownup movie" compared to Doris Day, Hayley Mills, etc. lol

Isn't it fun when an old movie or song is part of you - and you remember where you were and who you were with?

Just watched Without a Doubt, with Joseph Cotton... it was a pretty good Hitchcock movie... the mom in that one was so totally clueless...(?) It was interesting to see Hume Cronyn in his movie debut! Love him!

And even what theater you saw it at! Now it's like I'll plan to see a movie and it's on On Demand before I ever get around to it.

Quote:
2 fine ones on TCM today - The Trouble with Harry & Night of the Hunter.  The first is Hitchcock - macabre humor but also a little romance - it's quirky!  The second is considered a masterpiece today - it's both creepy & poetic - at times hard to watch but Robert Mitchum is fascinatingly terrifying!  Worth watching for sure. 

I was thinking of watching The Trouble With Harry and then went to the TCM On Demand site after reading this, and I was too late! Gah! Oh well, TCM has been repeating them at a strange pace lately so hopefully it'll be back soon.

Today must be Margaret O'Brien's birthday because they're showing a lot of her movies. Unfortunately Our Vines Have Tender Grapes isn't among them, but I think  Music For Millions also is a good one if you haven't seen it.

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #80 
I think it must be Margaret O'Brien's birthday - all her flicks.  One not to miss IMO is Journey for Margaret - one of those WWII movies in which she plays a traumatized orphan during the bombing of London.  The Trouble with Harry was great - I did catch it!  It is very unique.  Night of the Hunter came on right after TTWH but I find it hard to watch - espec in spots.  But if you can take it, Robert Mitchum is electrifying!  The children are just so sad in it.  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #81 
Thanks, ladies, for more suggestions!  Looked up The Trouble with Harry... 'Leave it to Beaver' Jerry Mathers was the little boy who found the man's body...

I like how they do a whole day with one actor's films... and the commentary is very interesting!

Yesterday I watched Lust for Life with Kirk Douglas... Oh My - talked about a tortured man!  KD did a wonderful job of becoming the character Vincent VanGogh - you could really feel his torment... hard to watch in places...  VVG committed suicide at 37... did not know that!  The movie is based on a book, and I do NOT want to read it/seemed like his mental illness made everything about his life so depressing!! 
Makes me think of the Don McLean song - "Starry, Starry Night."[tear]
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #82 
Yes that is Jerry Mathers as the little boy who found the body in TTWH.  Pre-Beaver days - he's very young!  It also was Shirley MacLaine's first movie at age 21.  Cool flick.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #83 
Did anybody watch Mildred Pierce yesterday? (I did and for the first time my hubby watched it with me -- and it really kept him guessing.) I had completely forgotten that the last name of Veda's trust fund baby hubby was Forrester!

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #84 
Watched 2 more really oldies this past week... Prowler, with Van Heflin and Evelyn Keyes...   she was Sue Ellen in Gone With the Wind - and was a really good actress in this movie!!  I did not have the ending figured out - kept me guessing!
Also I Remember Mama with Barbara Bel Geddes (Dallas... looked just the same :-)
and Irene Dunn... she played a genuinely lovely character! ...movie was kind of slow, but kept watching because it was mesmerizing that Irene Dunn became granny from Beverly Hillbillies!
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #85 
Saw an old fav of mine tonight - Love is a Many Splendored Thing - it's been a while since I've seen it.  Love the music & the swimming scene & the scene on top of the hill.  I'm a sucker for that old fashioned romance.  I Remember Mama is a wonderful flick & Irene Dunne is amazing.  BBG is so young in it.  

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #86 
Sharon, that's one of my favorites too - the song just haunts me whenever I hear it... can't you just see TK playing the William Holden character??  Maybe they should do a remake!

Watched Broadway Melody of 1940 this morning... if you like Fred Astaire movies, this one was really good... Eleanor Powell was his partner, great dancing! ! ! Wonder if he was that considerate and selfless in real life!?
Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #87 
I love I Remember Mama too. Irene Dunne made a lot of great movies.

I guess today must be Laurence Olivier's birthday - I'm watching Pride and Prejudice.

Speaking of Eleanor Powell, have you guys ever seen this? It's incredible!!!!

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #88 
Didn't see BM this time but I have seen it.  Eleanor Powell is very underrated IMO.  I loved her with FA in Royal Wedding - it's a treat - espec the scene when FA dances on the ceiling!  I'm sucker for the song in LIAMST, too!!  One of my favorites - I get goosies!  I can totally see TK in the WH scenes - he does longing so well!!  Thanks for that clip, Christy!  Hadn't seen that before - it's awesome!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #89 
Quote:
I'm sucker for the song in LIAMST, too!!  One of my favorites - I get goosies!  I can totally see TK in the WH scenes - he does longing so well!! 

ITA, TK would be perfect as Mark Elliott. I just watched the whole movie, what an absolute killer! Beautiful score, too.

zenderella

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #90 
Hey Christy - spent the entire day doing yard work, going to funeral home, then returning home to news of terrorist attack... just watched the dance clip and finally had a smile!!  You made my day - am sending you a big hug!! [bouquet]
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #91 

Heads up movie fans - Gone With the Wind tonight at 8pm on TCM.  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #92 
Quote:
Hey Christy - spent the entire day doing yard work, going to funeral home, then returning home to news of terrorist attack... just watched the dance clip and finally had a smile!!  You made my day - am sending you a big hug!! [bouquet]

I'm glad it made you feel better [smile]

Christy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #93 
Quote:

Heads up movie fans - Gone With the Wind tonight at 8pm on TCM.  

Thanks!

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #94 
Thanks, Sharon! I'm falling behind even with the TCM app -- I just got caught up with some old Bette Davis movies but still have more to go, not to mention The Prince and the Pauper, but GWTW will take precedence tonight!

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #95 
Did everyone get their GWTW fix? lol

I'm behind on everything here, too, but did see Bette Davis in Pocketful of Miracles the other day...  it was kind of cool seeing 20 year old Ann Margret making her screen debut, but when they had Bette made up for the end of the picture - she looked more like a scary Joan Crawford to me! Yikes!!
SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #96 
I did!  If I ever catch one min of GWTW I'm done for - can't not watch.  There are sev like that on my list.  Watched 2 good old ones last night - it was Clark Gable's tribute on TCM - they've featured his movies the month of May & last night I saw, It Started in Naples & Mogambo.  He had changed a lot by this time but still CG!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #97 
I got my GWTW fix too! It just never gets old.

I haven't seen Pocketful of Miracles in years -- sorry to see it's not on TCM On Demand, I'd like to see it again, more out of curiosity than anything.

Clark Gable was a great choice for May, now I wonder who the June star will be. If I had my way, it would be Errol Flynn and his bday was in June.

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #98 
Watching Mogambo made me realize how similar the situation was to Ridge & Quinn with Katie in the middle messing things up.  In the movie Clark Gable's character was involved with a very married Grace Kelly's character & Ava Gardner was the woman in the middle trying to mess it up!  Musings.  I kept thinking - wait a minute - I know this story!  

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #99 
Quote:
Watching Mogambo made me realize how similar the situation was to Ridge & Quinn with Katie in the middle messing things up.  In the movie Clark Gable's character was involved with a very married Grace Kelly's character & Ava Gardner was the woman in the middle trying to mess it up!  Musings.  I kept thinking - wait a minute - I know this story!  

I watched it on TCM's On Demand -- had never seen it before, though I've seen the movie it was based on, Red Dust. And I see what you mean about the similarity to Ridge/Quinn and Katie, I noticed it too. But oddly enough I thought Ava Gardner's character was kind of a hoot...go figure!

TCM showed one of my all time favorites today, To Sir With Love, I hope they add it to their On Demand.

SCSharon

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #100 
I did catch To Sir With love yest.  Anyone else catch Pollyanna & Summer Magic Fri night?  Christy IA, Ava Gardner's character reminds me a bit of Lucy in Mogambo.  Kinda makes me wish Katie was a bit more like her!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.