Message Board

 

Main Section
Register Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
zenderella

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 367
Reply with quote  #1 
Been watching the Joan/Bette Feud on FX... have seen "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" a long time ago, but would like to watch it again - now that I know the story behind the actresses/producers, etc.  Also want to watch "Jezebel" with Bette Davis again...

"Love is a Many Splendored Thing" is a movie that still haunts me...William Holden was so good!

Also loved the original "Sabrina" with Audrey Hepburn and William Holden...  TK would have been a perfect Linus in that one!! (the 1995 remake was good also, with Harrison Ford)

Other suggestions/recommendations?

Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderella
Been watching the Joan/Bette Feud on FX... have seen "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" a long time ago, but would like to watch it again - now that I know the story behind the actresses/producers, etc.  Also want to watch "Jezebel" with Bette Davis again...


Is that good? I'm a huge Bette Davis fan (Joan Crawford not so much, but I do enjoy some of her old movies) and keep meaning to watch it and forgetting, so I hope it's on On Demand. I like Jezebel, and my fave movies of hers are Dark Victory and Now, Voyager. Also love Barbara Stanwyck in the drama category.

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing was the name of one of the first soaps I got hooked on many years ago.

My very favorite old movie is the one that got me hooked mmmmffffty years ago, Captain Blood (where the quote in Kathy's post today came from!) -and I still love Errol Flynn!!!! Always wanted to see TK play Captain Blood sooooo badly. Or any other EF costume action role for that matter! It's funny how quotes will come to your mind when you're watching something completely unrelated. But that has taken me many years of watching movies and having my brain be functioning at the moment to make the connection.

Another actor I like is Cary Grant and there are some of his movies TK would be so perfect in - Penny Serenade, Mr. Lucky, and People Will Talk are at the top of my list.

Like Kathy and Sharon, I'm a huge Gone With The Wind fan, and think TK would be so perfect as Rhett...sigh.

I could go on and on and on and on....and on and on...!



__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
Malin88

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,342
Reply with quote  #3 
GONE WITH THE WIND is def my fav! 
__________________
Thorsten Kaye ❤ CaRidge
Malin - Sweden
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #4 
Yes I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to start!  I'm a huge movie buff - the old classics - so I'll have to try to narrow it down.  Love is a Many Splendored Thing would def be on my list.  GWTW has to be at the top if not the top.  But I have so many & all of them hold a special place in my heart - for diff reasons.  I'm a musicals fanatic so those are always on my list, too.  I always have my tv on TCM & I know I will always find something I like.   Very sad that Robert Osborne passed away recently - I feel like he was a dear old friend - he is the one who introduced me to many classic movies.  
__________________




Sharon
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #5 
TCM showed WEHTBJ recently so I watched it again. I still think Bette should have won the Academy Award she was nominated for! (Looking up who did win -- Anne Bancroft did, for The Miracle Worker. I was amazed by how many of the various nominees I'd seen, compared to how few I see nowadays.)

Thanks to Errol Flynn and Captain Blood (Christy and I discovered it together when we were both young and still living at home... I remember we only watched it because in those pre-cable days, it was the only thing on besides footage of Tricia Nixon's wedding that day -- which you couldn't have paid us to watch). I immediately went overboard on old movies, but to spare you from a book-length post, I'm going to recommend a movie I watched a couple of weeks ago, also on TCM -- A Tale of Two Cities starring the one and only Ronald Colman.

__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
Yes I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to start!  I'm a huge movie buff - the old classics - so I'll have to try to narrow it down.  Love is a Many Splendored Thing would def be on my list.  GWTW has to be at the top if not the top.  But I have so many & all of them hold a special place in my heart - for diff reasons.  I'm a musicals fanatic so those are always on my list, too.  I always have my tv on TCM & I know I will always find something I like.


I love musicals too! Can you choose any favorites or are there just too many? That's pretty much my dilemma! But to single out a few, I'll always watch West Side Story, The King and I, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, just about anything with Judy Garland and/or Gene Kelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
Very sad that Robert Osborne passed away recently - I feel like he was a dear old friend - he is the one who introduced me to many classic movies.


Ditto! Such a great loss. TCM could not have had a better "face."

__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #7 
One of my very favorites was on this afternoon - Rome Adventure - I know it's just fluff by today's standards & moral codes from another era, but it's like a love affair with Rome - takes my breath away!  Not to mention the title song was also a hit record that year & I spent my $1 allowance buying the 45 vinyl record that I still have.  But it filled my heart when I was 14 - what can I say.  I've long been a movie fan.  
Kathy - I love all the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals with The Sound of Music at the top of my list, but also South Pacific, Carousel, Oklahoma, and other musicals of my era, My Fair Lady & West Side Story of course.  I also love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers & the King & I, Meet Me in St. Louis, too many to list - on & on.  Have to mention TCM sponsors some classic movies shown in local theaters & my husband took me to see An Affair to Remember - on of my favorite Cary Grant movies at the local theater.  The best part was being in a theater filled with classic movie lovers like myself!  Most my age - LOL!  That was my Valentine's Day gift!  And if any of you are interested the next one coming up next Sunday is North By Northwest also a Cary Grant classic.  I plan to see it but my daughter is getting married soon & I'm not sure that one's going to work out with so much going on, but I hope to make it.  Check your local theaters to see if it's near you.  There are other movies slated to get the same treatment.  Nothing like watching an old classic on the big screen with the popcorn!  

__________________




Sharon
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
One of my very favorites was on this afternoon - Rome Adventure - I know it's just fluff by today's standards & moral codes from another era, but it's like a love affair with Rome - takes my breath away!  Not to mention the title song was also a hit record that year & I spent my $1 allowance buying the 45 vinyl record that I still have.  But it filled my heart when I was 14 - what can I say.  I've long been a movie fan.   


I've only seen it in recent years (and will probably watch it again on the TCM app before it expires) -- I love the Rome setting too! The plot not so much, but it's of it's time. (I could do a whole post on movies set in Italy! From Three Coins in the Fountain to Summertime to  Zefferilli's Romeo and Juliet to A Room With A View... just to name the first ones that popped into my head.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon

Kathy - I love all the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals with The Sound of Music at the top of my list, but also South Pacific, Carousel, Oklahoma, and other musicals of my era, My Fair Lady & West Side Story of course.  I also love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers & the King & I, Meet Me in St. Louis, too many to list - on & on.   


I love all of those you mentioned that I didn't, too! Thanks to my parents belonging to the Broadway Hits division of the Columbia Record Club and forgetting to send the card back most of the time, I really imprinted on R&H and L&L especially. Camelot was the beginning of my interest in King Arthur lore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
Have to mention TCM sponsors some classic movies shown in local theaters & my husband took me to see An Affair to Remember - on of my favorite Cary Grant movies at the local theater.  The best part was being in a theater filled with classic movie lovers like myself!  Most my age - LOL!  That was my Valentine's Day gift!


That sounds like the perfect gift for VD. There aren't too many Cary Grant movies I won't watch, and that's one I've seen many times. I also like Deborah Kerr and have seen lots of her movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon

 And if any of you are interested the next one coming up next Sunday is North By Northwest also a Cary Grant classic.  I plan to see it but my daughter is getting married soon & I'm not sure that one's going to work out with so much going on, but I hope to make it.  Check your local theaters to see if it's near you.  There are other movies slated to get the same treatment.  Nothing like watching an old classic on the big screen with the popcorn!  


Congratulations to your daughter!

North by Northwest is playing at a bunch of theaters around here but I probably won't get my ass in gear to see it (I have seen it on TCM). If it were Captain Blood...

How about Disney movies? I loved and still love Hayley Mills. Any animation fans? I love classic Disney animation. Lady and the Tramp was the first movie Christy and I ever saw (for our third birthday!) and I wish I had a dollar for ever time I've seen it since then. 101 Dalmations, Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty are a few that never get old either.

__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
Malin88

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,342
Reply with quote  #9 
Thorsten would be good in either one. 
__________________
Thorsten Kaye ❤ CaRidge
Malin - Sweden
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #10 
Malin, I can "see" him in so many old movies -- especially ones that star Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, Ronald Colman, Clark Gable, William Powell, Spencer Tracy... Oh and Richard Burton! (Watch The V.I.P.'s for the prototype of Zach Slater, LOL.)
__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
Malin88

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,342
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Malin, I can "see" him in so many old movies -- especially ones that star Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, Ronald Colman, Clark Gable, William Powell, Spencer Tracy... Oh and Richard Burton! (Watch The V.I.P.'s for the prototype of Zach Slater, LOL.)


YEEES YEEES YEEES! He could have done them all! Def his acting style! He remind me of a modern Cary Grant!

He could also do all George Clooney and Richard Gere roles.

Jane Austen, Shakespeare & Braveheart typical movies as well etc.

(Period drama and historical movies)

__________________
Thorsten Kaye ❤ CaRidge
Malin - Sweden
zenderella

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 367
Reply with quote  #12 
*Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies!  I'm a huge movie buff also and would love to see some of these OLD movies that I missed on the BIG screen!!  Perfect Valentine, Sharon!!
I can remember riding the bus downtown on Saturdays to watch all the Hayley Mills and Doris Day movies!! One of my favorite Doris Day movies was Pillow Talk with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall... wasn't it around 50 cents to get in the movies back then?[bahaha]
Loved the movie with Hayley Mills and Deborah Kerr - The Chalk Garden...

A Summer Place - Troy Donahue and Sandra Dee
Where the Boys Are - George Hamilton, Connie Frances
The Ugly Dachshund - Susan Pleshette (any movie with her!)

None of these are 'masterpieces,' but they were fun and stuck in my memory...
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #13 
Well you've hit a few more of my favs here - A Summer Place - which had another hit record & anything with Hayley Mills - I loved the Moonspinners.   Kathy I'm a huge Wm Powell fan - espec in the Thin Man series with Myrna Loy - a joy to watch.  As for old time actors - I love them all - but Barbara Stanwyck is a personal fav - that woman could act!  I loved Come September for many of the same reasons  as Rome Adventure - a love affair with Italy!  One of my all-time fav movies at the top of my list is To Kill A Mockingbird which my 10th gr Eng teacher told us if we saw it & brought back our ticket stub we'd get extra credit.  Only reason I went but it changed my life - it was profound & I knew it would stay with me the rest of my days - it has.  I'll never forget how emotional I was walking home with my friend.  There are so many that it's like a trip down memory lane for me - most of these are tightly woven into the fabric of my life & I can't separate the two sometimes.  Kathy I think we've had this conversation before - LOL!  I'm not even sure I paid 50cts - I believe I used to get in when I was still in grade school for a quarter!  This is a true story - my sister & my cousin & my best friend & I used to actually go out & look for pop bottles to return for deposit & scrape up enough money for a movie after our allowance ran out!
__________________




Sharon
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderella
*Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies!  I'm a huge movie buff also and would love to see some of these OLD movies that I missed on the BIG screen!!  Perfect Valentine, Sharon!!
I can remember riding the bus downtown on Saturdays to watch all the Hayley Mills and Doris Day movies!! One of my favorite Doris Day movies was Pillow Talk with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall... wasn't it around 50 cents to get in the movies back then?[bahaha]
Loved the movie with Hayley Mills and Deborah Kerr - The Chalk Garden...

A Summer Place - Troy Donahue and Sandra Dee
Where the Boys Are - George Hamilton, Connie Frances
The Ugly Dachshund - Susan Pleshette (any movie with her!)

None of these are 'masterpieces,' but they were fun and stuck in my memory...


I love The Chalk Garden (own it). My favorite Hayley Mills movie though is The Trouble With Angels which also stars another one of my faves, Rosalind Russell.

And I am sometimes in the mood for those 50s/early 60s soapy movies like A Summer Place and Where the Boys Are too. But I really like the adult ones like The Magnificent Obsession and All That Heaven Allows (OK, I like to make fun of them too <g>[wink].

I've mentioned this before but every time they play Eric/Quinn's theme song on B&B, the way it starts reminds me so much of the song Rock Hudson sings in Pillow Talk!

Sharon - another movie that's set in Italy that I always watch when it's on is A Light In The Piazza. (Although the story is a tad disturbing.)

Malin - totally agree about George Clooney and Richard Gere movies. (But not Pretty Woman, ugh ugh ugh!!!! Hate it!) And I want soooo badly to see TK in a Shakespeare play, any one.

I like some "horror" movies too - The Innocents, Cat People, and Curse of the Cat People.

__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #15 
Christy I love Pillow Talk !  Have to share - when I was in 6th grade my friend & I sold Buddy Poppies (rem those?) for Veteran's Day & won the prize - 2 tix for PT!  I fell in love with that movie right then but I do rem there were some things in it that my innocent self 'didn't get' yet!  I'm a huge Doris Day fan & support her animal causes - they send an online card every yr for her fans to sign & they say she still reads every one.  Sorry for rambling - y'all have set me off on a memory lane trip!  IA about the song RH supposedly wrote - LOL - I knew I'd heard that before!  I love Light in the Piazza, too!  I'm a huge Rossano Brazzi fan as well -something about him has always reminded me a little of TK, too.   Christy my best friend was always into the horror genre or spooky genre - IDK if any of you rem her - she was my roomie on the 2nd RTS cruise.  She was the biggest Dracula fan on earth & drug me along with her to watch every one!  I used to hide my eyes mostly - but we both developed a huge appreciation for the late Christopher Lee - I'm betting you know him!  TCM did a tribute to him after his death last yr.  And I have to say, Magnificent Obsession & All That Heaven Allows are both on my fav list!  I know they're from another era & prob cheesy by today's standards but I'm hooked on them & never miss a chance to see them.  And FWIW, I have never liked Pretty Woman!  I don't get movies about hookers being appealing.  Gosh this is fun - thanks everyone for your input!  Oh Christy - I also love The Trouble With Angels and there is a sequel Where Trouble Goes Angels Follow I think is the name of it.  But the one with Hayley Mills is much better!  Anne M. from this board loves that one - she went to an all girl's Catholic school as I think you & Kathy did!  


__________________




Sharon
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #16 

Sharon, that is so cool about Doris Day reading everything. I really admire her devotion to animal causes, too. And I always get somewhat misty-eyed when they show her tribute to Rock Hudson on TCM. ITA with you and Kathy about Rosanno Brazzi, and I’m a fan of his too. Loved him especially in South Pacific. I forgot to mention I also love To Kill A Mockingbird, movie and book.

 

Kathy and I also have a close friend who loves Christopher Lee (and Peter Cushing) which is really pretty much where my only knowledge of him comes from I must admit. I like a lot of stuff now that I wasn’t interested in watching when I first got into old movies though so I won’t rule out eventually getting into him. Oh, another horror movie I’ve seen a million times is The Haunting. (The remake was just ludicrously laughable!)

 

I remember that about AnneM, and you’re right about the name of the TTWA sequel – and you’re right about TTWA being much better (of all the characters to use in a sequel, whyyy Marvel Ann???) The book TTWA is based on was enjoyable, too – I’m a heathen now but I still  have a thing for nun movies, LOL. (Kathy and I are A Nun’s Story with Audrey Hepburn fans too even though it’s a totally different genre!)


P.S. Kathy and I almost had a near death experience the other day – MeTV was pulled from our cable systems!!!! But now it’s back. YAYYY!!!!!


__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #17 
[hairy]  You are so much like me!!  It might be a real death experience if I lost MeTV or AntennaTV or TCM!!!  I can't imagine how I'd survive!  I've loved Rossano Brazzi since South Pacific - wow!  My friend - same on the RTS cruise - loved Dracula & espec Christopher Lee so much it was an obsession!  She later thought he resembled George Harrison of the Beatles.  Have to admit there was something to it.  Same gaunt look.  I think it's pretty special that Doris Day is still so involved in her passion for animals & reads all her birthday greetings, too!  
__________________




Sharon
AnneM

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 927
Reply with quote  #18 
You guys are giving me deja vu with all this talk of old movies!  Especially the ''nun movies'', lol!  TTWA was my favorite!!  I was so excited to be able to buy the paperback  from the ''Scholastic Book Club'' too, remember?!?  I read that book until the pages nearly fell out!  I was all about becoming a nun after that......we all know how that turned out, lmao!!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

__________________
Anne
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
[hairy]  You are so much like me!!  It might be a real death experience if I lost MeTV or AntennaTV or TCM!!!  I can't imagine how I'd survive! 


I know!!!! I just wish they showed more old sitcoms than they do now...but Hulu has a bunch of them. And as much as I love TCM, I wish they had second channel that didn't show anything before 1970. That's current to me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneM
You guys are giving me deja vu with all this talk of old movies!  Especially the ''nun movies'', lol!  TTWA was my fav[orite!!  I was so excited to be able to buy the paperback  from the ''Scholastic Book Club'' too, remember?!?  I read that book until the pages nearly fell out!  I was all about becoming a nun after that......we all know how that turned out, lmao!!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Hiya Anne...Memory Lane is my favorite place. Yes, I do remember the Scholastic Book Club, and fondly remember a few books from the series but TTWA wasn't among them -- gonna have to search on Amazon now. That movie was probably the best nun recruiting tool ever made [wink].

__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
AnneM

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 927
Reply with quote  #20 
It was written by Jane Trahey....I just saw it on Amazon for.....$40.00!!  Yikes!  And that was used!  I think I paid less than a dollar, lol!  Wish I still had it!  [angel]
__________________
Anne
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneM
It was written by Jane Trahey....I just saw it on Amazon for.....$40.00!!  Yikes!  And that was used!  I think I paid less than a dollar, lol!  Wish I still had it!  [angel]


Thanks, Anne! Ahh, I did read that book -- but I remember getting it at the library as a hardback - wish I had my own copy too!

__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
Malin88

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,342
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy


Malin - totally agree about George Clooney and Richard Gere movies. (But not Pretty Woman, ugh ugh ugh!!!! Hate it!) And I want soooo badly to see TK in a Shakespeare play, any one.



I love Pretty Woman but yea maybe not for him [wink] TK should def make movies. It will be a success!


__________________
Thorsten Kaye ❤ CaRidge
Malin - Sweden
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #23 
The Moonspinners! Yes! LOL (was just thinking about another Hayley Mills movie I loved... Gypsy Girl, also starring Ian McShane. Now it seems better in retrospect but boy, when I was 14...).

And George Clooney! Yes! He's one of the few contemporary actors whose movies I have much interest in seeing (even though I haven't seen that many but I picture TK in when I do). Ditto Colin Farrell. (Especially in Ondine set in beautiful Ireland, and Winter's Tale although that breathtakingly beautiful white horse is the real stunner for me in the latter!)

I'm amending my list of old movie actors to add Robert Donat! How could I have left him off when Patrick Thornhart's introduction and initial characterization on OLTL seemed to be a direct steal from RD's version of The 39 Steps.

Have you ever finally seen a classic movie that everyone seems to think is the shit but you surprisingly didn't? One of those for me is How to Marry a Millionaire. Except for William Powell's character. Lauren Bacall's character was an idiot! And that's all I'll say about that if you haven't seen it, LOL.

__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
zenderella

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 367
Reply with quote  #24 
Yes!  Had forgotten about "Trouble With Angels" - Anne, I so wanted to be a nun after that also, but my mom sat me down and explained that I wasn't a Catholic... lol

Barbara Stanwyck was one of a kind - loved her in Double Indemnity with Fred MacMurray!
This is a tv mini series from the 80's, but thought the Thorn Birds (book and movie) was breathtaking... can never forget the scene where Meggy tells Luke off in front of his co workers! I'm sure everyone knows that the young Meggy was played by Sydney Penny
(Julia, AMC)...

I wish Amazon would put out a collection of Hayley Mills movies! 
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #25 
Double Indemnity!  Z that's a fav of mine - fascinating performance by BS!  I also love Hayley Mills movies - Pollyanna was a fav since childhood.  Kathy I, too, am not really enamored with How to Marry a Millionaire for whatever reason.  But Wm Powell in the Thin Man  series is brilliant!  Christy, I complain all the time about TCM when they show anything after 1970!!  To me, they are never as good as the classics.  Same with the retro tv - I much prefer the shows that are in B&W.  I live in a time warp, what can I say?
__________________




Sharon
Malin88

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,342
Reply with quote  #26 
Thorsten could also do romantic movies like Gerard Butler.

P.S I love you, The ugly truth & Bounty Hunter.

__________________
Thorsten Kaye ❤ CaRidge
Malin - Sweden
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
Double Indemnity!  Z that's a fav of mine - fascinating performance by BS!  I also love Hayley Mills movies - Pollyanna was a fav since childhood.  Kathy I, too, am not really enamored with How to Marry a Millionaire for whatever reason.  But Wm Powell in the Thin Man  series is brilliant!  Christy, I complain all the time about TCM when they show anything after 1970!!  To me, they are never as good as the classics.  Same with the retro tv - I much prefer the shows that are in B&W.  I live in a time warp, what can I say?


Sharon, living in a time warp is a good way of putting it, LOL. I don't like How to Marry a Millionaire either - or IIRC anyone in it, except William Powell. And ITA about B&W sitcoms for the most part - though I still mourn the end of the 1970's CBS Saturday night sitcom line up. But I prefer the B&W seasons of Bewitched. The colorization of those was awful. And, I love Pollyanna too...it had some quite moving scenes and wasn't cutesy in the slightest.

Malin - I have actually never seen any Gerard Butler movies. But that's true of about 99 percent of movie actors today LOL.

ETA: Zenderella - that's hilarious you wanted to be a nun thanks to TTWA and you weren't even Catholic! But I went from the heaviest duty of Catholics as a child to the heathen I am today and whenever I watch that movie I still feel the same way I did when the first time I saw it! I love the music in it too.

__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
Malin88

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,342
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy

Malin - I have actually never seen any Gerard Butler movies. But that's true of about 99 percent of movie actors today LOL..


Yes, it's a shame they can't make old movies these days. In black and white as well lol.

__________________
Thorsten Kaye ❤ CaRidge
Malin - Sweden
zenderella

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 367
Reply with quote  #29 
You are going to laugh, but I just discovered the channel with all the old, black and white movies (I did not know we got it!)

This afternoon, I watched Joan Crawford/Melvyn Douglas in A Woman's Face...
missed the beginning - can anyone tell me WHY she was trying to kill that little boy??
Also, one of the main characters was "Torsten" lol...
Next up is Humoresque...  guess I had forgotten how absolutely beautiful she was in her younger days - on the "Joan/Bette Feud", she is portrayed as the biggest shrew and b!tch of the world!!

Thanks guys... I think I am going to become addicted to this channel... yes, they are cheesy, but they are cheesy good!!!

Christy, you said you had never seen a Gerard Butler movie... check out P.S.I Love You with Hilary Swank... and yes, TK could easily be swapped for Gerard Butler in almost every movie I've seen him in!! :-)

Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderella
You are going to laugh, but I just discovered the channel with all the old, black and white movies (I did not know we got it!)

This afternoon, I watched Joan Crawford/Melvyn Douglas in A Woman's Face...
missed the beginning - can anyone tell me WHY she was trying to kill that little boy??
Also, one of the main characters was "Torsten" lol...
Next up is Humoresque...  guess I had forgotten how absolutely beautiful she was in her younger days - on the "Joan/Bette Feud", she is portrayed as the biggest shrew and b!tch of the world!!



It's been a lonng time since I've seen A Woman's Face and I don't remember much about it at all, but for a week or two you can watch whatever TCM recently aired at this link:  TCM Movies on Demand

I hate watching movies on my laptop, so I connected an old one to my TV with an HDMI cable. It lets you watch them in HD, too, if your cable provider (iike mine) doesn't make the HD version of TCM available in its lineup. I watch TCM live that way now too.

__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #31 
I caught some of Humoresque this afternoon.  I think my favorite Joan Crawford movie is Mildred Pierce - it's soapy good but her performance is amazing!  
__________________




Sharon
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #32 
Sharon, watching Mildred Pierce always makes me crave a piece of pie, LOL. Joan Crawford isn't as high on my list as Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck, but she made some great movies. I want to recommend one that I saw recently for the first time -- Possessed. It reeled me in from the start and totally held my interest throughout.
__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #33 
Kathy I've seen Possessed - she is awesome in that!  MP makes me crave fried chicken!  My personal favorite of those 3 is BS.  I just see this ability to show toughness as easily as hurt & vulnerability - BS is amazing.  If you ever get the chance to see BS in a rarely seen old flick called, Jeopardy -  don't miss it.  It's little known & I saw it last yr for the first time & a wk or so ago again - BS completely owns that one!  Gritty performance!
__________________




Sharon
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #34 
Sharon, I saw Jeopardy a few years ago -- great movie! It really had me on the edge of my seat. I think your description of BS is right on. She's on those actresses I'll watch in almost anything whereas most of her leading men I only watch when they're in a movie with someone else I want to see (one exception is Cry Wolf, with Errol Flynn).
__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #35 
It is, Kathy!  I was on the edge of my seat.  The things BS had to do to save her husband - that's what she does best!  Have you ever seen her in Ball of Fire with Gary Cooper?  I love that one - check it out!  She rocks the comedy, too!  And she's great in The Lady Eve, too - as a charming card sharp who unintentionally falls in love with very straight-laced Henry Fonda - cute!  I love the scene where she finds the snake in the bed - she cracks me up screaming her brains out - a girl after my own heart!  

I have to put Philadelphia Story our list of must-see films - amazing!  As well as High Society, which is a remake of PS, but with music - both excellent!  

__________________




Sharon
zenderella

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 367
Reply with quote  #36 
Thanks ladies - have several more to put on my list!
Watched Possessed yest with Joan Crawford - she was psycho, but David was a real piece of work also!  At the very end, when her husband asked to be alone in the hospital room with her... I thought he was going to put a pillow over her face! lol 
Now THAT is a husband who keeps his promises!! (looked the actor up, he was born in 1896!)

Also watched Vertigo, with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak... slow, but really good!  I had forgotten the ending... wonder if the husband ever had to pay for murdering his wife!!??

ANY movie with Jimmy Stewart or Katherine Hepburn is entertaining for me!
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #37 
Our pleasure, Zenderella! Once you get started on old movies it's like being on a nonstop treasure hunt... there are so many gems to discover. Keep letting us know what you find. It's interesting too how your favorites can change over the years.

For instance I've only become a big Barbara Stanwyck fan in recent years, so I still have a lot of her movies to catch up with. Sharon, so far I haven't seen Ball of Fire yet (not a Gary Cooper fan), but I did like The Lady Eve (even though I'm not a Henry Fonda fan either!), so it's just a matter of time. One more favorite BS movie of mine, even with another leading man (i.e. Fred MacMurray) whose movies  I usually avoid, is Remember the Night, which I'm sure you've seen? Really sweet Christmas movie. Added bonus: Mrs. Trumbull! Speaking of holiday movies, I also really like her Christmas in Connecticut even though (shocker!) I'm not a Dennis Morgan fan.

__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderella

ANY movie with Jimmy Stewart or Katherine Hepburn is entertaining for me!


I love Katharine Hepburn. Have you ever seen Stage Door? It stars 3 of my favorite actresses - Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, and Lucille Ball, and it never gets old. My very favorite Katharine Hepburn movie though is Quality Street. It's just so sweet. I also love Desk Set (another really cute one), Summertime, and The Rainmaker (TK's friend Lloyd Bridges played her brother). 

Of course, I love her movies with Cary Grant, too...especially Holiday. Sharon - I never miss The Philadelphia Story (or Bringing Up Baby) when they're on. I have not seen High Society yet.

Another actress I really like is Ginger Rogers - she made some great movies (but I'm not a fan of her movies with Fred Astaire). My favorite one of her movies is Bachelor Mother with David Niven (another actor I really like).

I've seen The Lady Eve numerous times - It is a cute one! Also love Christmas In Connecticut.

__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #39 
Kathy, I'm a recent convert to BS, too.  I love Remember the Night & it's always fun seeing character actors you know on old movies, too - like Mrs Trumble!  
Today I got to see North By Northwest on the big movie screen - what a treat!  Even better than the last one - Hitchcock at his finest - the scenes of Mt. Rushmore & the scene in the corn field etc were spectacular, not to mention those in/around the Frank Lloyd Wright house!  What a treat that was!  
It's funny that you are not a fan of Gary Cooper or Henry Fonda - for some reason I'm not either!  I know my father would roll over hearing that since they were 2 of his favorites.  But BS is awesome in both flicks - IMO she steals it from both!  
I love Katherine Hepburn, Christy - she is unmatched!  Never seen Quality Street - thanks for that tip.  Love Desk Set & it's on my Christmas favorites list!  I love any movie with she & Spencer Tracy tog!  I love Summertime, too!  As I already said, Rossano Brazzi is a long-time favorite of mine since South Pacific.  
Christy, I love Ginger Rogers in Bachelor Mother, too!  I love David Niven, too & espec in The Bishop's Wife - also love Loretta Young! Oh gosh somebody turn me off!
Kathy, Christmas in CT is on my Christmas list!  I have a long one!  And I'm not a Dennis Morgan fan either.  
IA that Vertigo is slow, but I'm a huge Hitchcock fan & it's a classic.  I love most all his!  Rear Window is excellent & many others.  
Gotta stop now - there are so many!

__________________




Sharon
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #40 
Sharon - count me as a Gary Cooper/Henry Fonda/Dennis Morgan non-fan too! I did kind of enjoy one Gary Cooper movie, though, Casanova Brown, because it was so unusual, he played an unwed father in it. Come to think of it, most of my fave classic film actors are British. 

Wow, North by Northwest on the big screen sounds spectacular! The end of that movie is such a nailbiter.

So your dad was a movie fan too? So was Kathy's and mine! Why am I not surprised? Kathy and I used to go to a lot of old movies at the AFI theater in the Kennedy Center back in the day, and he came with us occasionally. It's almost comical, the trouble we used to go to to see the movies that are so readily available now.

OMG, how could I forget The Bishop's Wife - I love that movie, and it is very high on my list of movies I want to see remade w/TK - can you imagine him playing Dudley?? I always crack up when David Niven gets stuck in the chair no matter how many times I see it.

It's almost impossible to stop once you get started talking about old movies!


__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #41 
I know, Christy - it is addictive because it's such a lifelong passion of mine!  Wonderful being among 'like minds'!  I've loved the Bishop's Wife for yrs & yes, I often think the same thing - how wonderful TK would be in a remake as Dudley!  And yes again, I always crack up at David Niven getting stuck in the chair!  FWIW, I think Loretta Young is just outstanding in everything!  
The little girl who plays their daughter, Debbie is the same one who played Su-Su in It's a Wonderful Life btw.  
Oh yes my father & my mother were both huge movie fans & took us every week from the time we were tiny tots.  Some of my earliest memories are being carried through the theater alley to our car on my father's shoulder - half asleep!  My mother loved movie magazines & had an extensive collection.  How I wish I still had those treasures!  They both often discussed movies with us & actors etc.  I guess you could say I get it honest!  
Talking about Gary Cooper, I do like a movie of his that is also quirky & offbeat & comical - Along Came Jones - with Loretta Young - he's really funny in it.  I find him way too stiff most of the time.  


__________________




Sharon
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
I know, Christy - it is addictive because it's such a lifelong passion of mine!  Wonderful being among 'like minds'!  I've loved the Bishop's Wife for yrs & yes, I often think the same thing - how wonderful TK would be in a remake as Dudley!  And yes again, I always crack up at David Niven getting stuck in the chair!  FWIW, I think Loretta Young is just outstanding in everything!  
The little girl who plays their daughter, Debbie is the same one who played Su-Su in It's a Wonderful Life btw.  
Oh yes my father & my mother were both huge movie fans & took us every week from the time we were tiny tots.  Some of my earliest memories are being carried through the theater alley to our car on my father's shoulder - half asleep!  My mother loved movie magazines & had an extensive collection.  How I wish I still had those treasures!  They both often discussed movies with us & actors etc.  I guess you could say I get it honest!  
Talking about Gary Cooper, I do like a movie of his that is also quirky & offbeat & comical - Along Came Jones - with Loretta Young - he's really funny in it.  I find him way too stiff most of the time.  



Sharon, ITA about Loretta Young, she was luminous in that movie. She was so young when she started in movies, sometimes TCM shows some of hers made in the early '30s...unbelievable. Stiff is a good description of Gary Cooper... I also call him dry. Many years ago Kathy and I had a couple of these large paperback books that were compilations of tons of old movie fan magazine articles. They fascinated me (even though they obviously were so faaaaake, LOL) and I always wished I could have seen the originals. Did you collect anything? We had tons of bios/autobios and some lobby cards and stills. Sigh, talking about it brings back so many memories.

__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #43 
IA about Loretta Young - luminous is the best way to describe her in the Bishop's Wife.  I find her fascinating.  I used to watch her old tv show with my Mother when she would come sweeping down that grand staircase in her evening gown looking the part of the glamorous movie star!  
I don't have much left of their collection to my eternal regret but I have a few things of my own.  I was such a The Sound of Music junkie - it's hard to describe how hooked on it I was.  It came out when I was in HS & my boyfriend of the time very patiently took me to see it on nearly every date we ever had!  Somehow he 'procured' a lobby poster of it & gave it to me that year for a birthday gift.  It sort of ended up through the yrs in our attic & moved with us many times.  Well we moved again 2 yrs ago into our retirement home & it turned up!  I had it custom framed & it's hanging right above this computer desk.  
The rest of the story - the old theater in my hometown where I saw the movie so many times was also known as the Opera House from it's earlier days in history & has a tall clock tower above -it's quite the centerpiece of the town & has been completely restored & they have all kinds of live shows, concerts & plays there now but no more movie theater.  So they are creating a museum dedicated to all phases of this building including the theater days & have exhibits planned & people talking about their experiences there etc.  Well I emailed them about the poster that I still have & they sent a delegation to my house recently to see & photograph it for the museum exhibit!  They also put a 'mic' on me & interviewed me for an audio presentation about it & thought my old poster was definitely quite the find for their museum!  I was very proud of that.  I got to tell of my lifelong love for movies & all the memories I had of seeing movies there throughout my years since childhood.  It will be a permanent part of the museum & they invited me to join them for the opening!  It was a complete labor of love!  The poster is in pristine condition & still has the theater name & starting date on the top!  Just thought I'd share.  


__________________




Sharon
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSharon
IA about Loretta Young - luminous is the best way to describe her in the Bishop's Wife.  I find her fascinating.  I used to watch her old tv show with my Mother when she would come sweeping down that grand staircase in her evening gown looking the part of the glamorous movie star!  
I don't have much left of their collection to my eternal regret but I have a few things of my own.  I was such a The Sound of Music junkie - it's hard to describe how hooked on it I was.  It came out when I was in HS & my boyfriend of the time very patiently took me to see it on nearly every date we ever had!  Somehow he 'procured' a lobby poster of it & gave it to me that year for a birthday gift.  It sort of ended up through the yrs in our attic & moved with us many times.  Well we moved again 2 yrs ago into our retirement home & it turned up!  I had it custom framed & it's hanging right above this computer desk.  
The rest of the story - the old theater in my hometown where I saw the movie so many times was also known as the Opera House from it's earlier days in history & has a tall clock tower above -it's quite the centerpiece of the town & has been completely restored & they have all kinds of live shows, concerts & plays there now but no more movie theater.  So they are creating a museum dedicated to all phases of this building including the theater days & have exhibits planned & people talking about their experiences there etc.  Well I emailed them about the poster that I still have & they sent a delegation to my house recently to see & photograph it for the museum exhibit!  They also put a 'mic' on me & interviewed me for an audio presentation about it & thought my old poster was definitely quite the find for their museum!  I was very proud of that.  I got to tell of my lifelong love for movies & all the memories I had of seeing movies there throughout my years since childhood.  It will be a permanent part of the museum & they invited me to join them for the opening!  It was a complete labor of love!  The poster is in pristine condition & still has the theater name & starting date on the top!  Just thought I'd share.  



Sharon, that is so cool you are forever associated with your movie obsession. (I totally get your obsession, we were obsessed with a 70's musical to the point of seeing it in a movie theater over 30 times/several different stage productions. Kathy found the poster at a movie convention we went to many years ago and I'm still jealous.) Anyway, I'd love to see your interview! Did you have to wing it? My mind would go totally blank if I ever had a mic put in front of me. Dang, TCM shold have hired you as one of their newbie hosts. Oh, that museum sounds very cool, too. Also gotta say that boyfriend sounded like a keeper, at least for somebody, LOL.

__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #45 
I was way more nervous than I thought!  I could feel my face flush when they all got quiet & I started talking!  At first I did draw kind of a blank but they kept asking questions that prompted more stories & that helped!  Hey, I considered auditioning for one of the host jobs on TCM!  But I'm too old - if only I were younger!  LOL - the boyfriend & I were just a blip on the radar!  He was very awesome for indulging my obsession!  He lives far away now & we are both parents & grandparents - but he didn't make the cut way back when!  
__________________




Sharon
zenderella

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 367
Reply with quote  #46 
Sharon, that is amazing that you still have the movie poster - can you post a pic of it?
You were so lucky your parents were in on your movie obsession! 
I would have probably run and hid when the people arrived for interview!  You are BRAVE![yesss]
Sound of Music is my all time favorite musical, also... my sister played Gretl in our city's Theater production @50 yrs ago...lol
I am probably the minority, but I also enjoyed the live tv production, with Carie Underwood! Bought the CD and listen to it on long trips...

Yesterday was Doris Day's 95th bday... I watched Tunnel of Love... not that great, but just enjoyed watching her on screen with Richard Widmark and Gig Young...
Christy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,425
Reply with quote  #47 
Zenderella, I enjoyed the TV production too. I'm not a Carrie Underwood fan but I thought she did a decent job. The best thing about it to me was that it included the two songs that the movie took out, that were two of my favorites.
__________________
Christy
[black_cat]
[tk_cs_ribbons_avatar]
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #48 
Kathy, the Cary Grant movie you mentioned up thread is on now - Holiday.  I'll try to post a pic of the poster.  Z, I couldn't get into the tv musical version - although I did catch a little of it.  Didn't do it for me.  TCM had a birthday tribute to Doris Day - I saw It's a Great Feeling this morning.  
__________________




Sharon
Kathy

Avatar / Picture

Moderator/
Administrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,211
Reply with quote  #49 
Thanks, Sharon, I was watching Holiday last night! (Don't you just want to throttle Julia? But damn... that palatial home they live in makes me drool. I love Linda''s space too). I also watched Goldiggers of 1933. The Forgotten Man sequence in it is incredible. So this is Character Actor Month on TCM. I have loads of them (and IMO quite a few deserve months of their own! Oh well).

Can you guess what my favorite part of It's a Great Feeling is? <g> I missed it earlier, but I plan to catch it later. I like Doris Day but Dennis Morgan and Jack Carson are kind of a double whammy for me, LOL.

__________________
Order your copy of Thorsten's new book now!
SCSharon

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,100
Reply with quote  #50 
Didn't want you to miss it, Kathy!  Yes - love to throttle Julia!  And yes - love the digs!  We had a wild weather day here - tornado warnings all day - first time I can ever rem them closing the schools & businesses for tornado activity!  IDK - best part of It's a Great Feeling - maybe the end!?  LOL!  
__________________




Sharon
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.