Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I have wondered for a long time whether writers of different soaps share their story ideas with each other.  I used to notice how more than one ABC soap would tackle the same social issue at right around the same time, have the same murder mystery at the same time, have the same sort of break-ups/reunions, and so forth.  But when I started watching a soap on another network a few years ago, I was shocked as to how many s/l parallels I saw between that one and AMC!  I could write a five pages long post if I try to list them all, LOL.  It boggles my mind, since both shows are filmed a few weeks before they are aired, their outlines written much longer before the details, and still.......

The sad thing is, AMC SO lacks the quality of writing and the care and compassion needed for some of the material!  The cancer story last year was treated cheaply, it was so rushed, all to put Baby Doll # 2 on a pedestal, and to bring out Joonyer's lust for InsAnnie!  Even the feeble attempts to show some reality that face those who are inflicted with such a serious disease (Joonyer's head shaving, Joonyer's chemo buddy dying) were carbon copies of scenes on the other show, but a day later, it was as if those incidents were shallow stunts on AMC.  Cancer was used as a prop, instead of soul-stirring, eye-opening story-telling that would tug at your heart. 

But the most unnerving one is the current one for me, on a personal level!  A shady character faking his/her own death to frame someone (who DESERVED to be framed), someone going cross-country to find out the truth, that person getting the evidence, only to lose it moments later while trying to save somebody, and the biggest shocker is death of one character in all that mess!  Yeah, Skye is not nearly as huge a loss to that show as Zach is to AMC, (but just like I would have rather seen Rylee's plane explode instead of Zach's, I would have much preferred both Sharon and Victor go down the lava cliff and keep Skye around!!!!!).  After having lost Zach, I do find it very unnerving to see scenes that are so similar to the way they showed Zach's departure from my TV!  

One thing is for sure.  As much as some of us blame the "writers" of AMC for the mess, it is ALL of TIIC that are dragging the show to the bottom of the ratings.  If other show can thrive with same or similar story lines, ABC's problem obviously is more than just bad writing.  For me, AMC without TK's Zach would NEVER be watchable again, but if those at the top would refrain from dictating to those who put the shows together, and stop pushing their personal favorites to the forefront despite viewer dis-interest, may be, just may be the show can continue to survive! 

jam

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Searose, not sure if they share ideas or not, but I've often wondered if they actually steal ideas from other shows.

But I think TK put it perfectly in his Eyes On Soaps interview.  TIIC today just don't seem to get daytime television today.

IMHO it takes a certain type of personality to get hooked on soaps.  And God knows I've been hooked on them for many years.  But I'm just not anymore.  They have become way to predictable.  But even that doesn't bother me as much.  I mean really, even I understand how hard it must be to keep coming up with fresh ideas.  But I literally do not care about the characters anymore.  I didn't for a long time.  GH was my last soap a few years ago and I stopped watching that.  But then one day I was channel surfing and came across Zach Slater.  He is the first character I actually cared about in a VERY long time.  And boy, did I ever get hooked.  More than I ever have before.  To the point where I just can't get over losing him.

Well, to be honest, if I thought TK really, really didn't want to work at AMC anymore and they wrote Zach off the way they did last year . . . I could live with that.  But I just can't live with the thought of a DEAD Zach and because I think TK somehow got screwed, I am ever more pissed at how things played out.  But because those of us who watch soaps really get into these characters, and they actually become a part of our life, its hard to imagine them DEAD.  I could live with imagining a VERY ALIVE and HAPPY Zach.

My point is . . . they just don't write shows the way they used to.  There is no history at all.  When Charles Pratt came on board and told us to "forget everything you've ever known about a character", I know the show was dommed.  We don't want to forget what we know.  And like the late Doug Maitlen (??) said if a person says a character would never do such a thing . . . then it is just wrong to write it.

We know these characters inside and out . . . obviously more than TIIC do and we care about them.  Again, more than TIIC do and it pisses me off to no end!!

My soaps days ended when TK left AMC and they will pick up again if/when we are lucky enough to get him back.

And Searose . . . I'm sorry I went so off topic, but once I got started . . . I couldn't stop.  LOL!!

June

searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
June, we hope Zach is safe and at peace in some place far away from Pine Valium!  Even if we go by what we saw on screen, remember that Zach was only PRESUMED dead because the li'l fucker said so, and we know better.  So as far as I am concerned, Zach survived the crash because he was rescued by some caring people who are worthy of his gratitude!

As for the state of soaps, I understand what you are saying.  There has never been, nor will ever be another Zach Slater for me, but how come I find myself looking forward to the next episode of that other soap?  While not being able to even look at any of ABC soaps?  There isn't enough of Marty on OLTL to watch that crapfest either, and I hate the Mobspital as much as, if not more than, AMC.  But why is it that when two shows have same storylines going at the same time, ABC soaps are at the bottom of the ratings, and the one at another network is at the tops?  I think it says a lot about how incompetent TIIC at ABC are, and how little they know what the viewers want.

toasty2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Quote:
Originally Posted by searose
But why is it that when two shows have same storylines going at the same time, ABC soaps are at the bottom of the ratings, and the one at another network is at the tops?  I think it says a lot about how incompetent TIIC at ABC are, and how little they know what the viewers want.

EXACTLY Searose.   They don't CARE what the viewers want it's what Frons want and THAT'S the reason ABC soaps are soooooooooooooooo BAD.
irishmcpaddy

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 

All these top brass have an agenda and for the short time I watched the soaps, I truly feel that it is a dying breed of viewing.  It is no longer love and fantasty in the afternoon it is a wreck.  I think one of the pooriest story lines that they had was the trans-gender which could have been a very brave way to go but they muffed that up to.  When these a holes don't know which direction to go, they drop the story line and leave you in suspenson.

Megan
Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #6 
Searose, maybe this explains it?! Morphic fields.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Kathy, you have me ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that explains it

BTW, I just noticed some of the new emoticons, I love them

nurlenz

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 

My thought is that AMC writers steal ideas from other shows but don't know how to develop them for their show.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.