Main Section
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ninekaronas

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Okay, Bonnie, this one's for you.

Die, Ryan, Die!

As soon as Ryan Lavery stepped out into the bright sunshine from the darkness of the hotel lobby, his instincts told him something was wrong. He tried to look around without being too obvious, but nothing stood out to him as abnormal. But he could feel himself being watched. It was unnerving. He slipped on his sunglasses and continued casually to his rental car. Tad and Aidan were expecting him and he knew he'd be in trouble if he kept them waiting. They had to find Zach and Kendall, and nothing else mattered right now.

He let his own uneasiness drift to the back of his mind as he focused his attention on the Slaters. He was no fan of Zach Slater, that was for sure. He thought Kendall could do much better - namely him. But she had made it perfectly clear that she didn't want anybody but Zach.

Kendall. He let his mind wander through their past. They had been through a lot together and they were still standing. He loved her - he was in love with her. But she didn't love him, not anymore. Not since Slater swooped in with his white horse and his lies. Kendall was always too vulnerable to a good con. She was putty in any man's hands if he knew what buttons to push. Well, he used to be the one pushing those buttons, but he blew it. All for that crazy bitch Greenlee. Now Greenlee was gone, he'd lost Kendall to Zach, and he was left with Annie. She wasn't Kendall, but at least he wasn't alone. Having her around gave him the time he needed to win Kendall back without making her husband suspicious. One thing Ryan had learned over the last couple of years - don't cross Zach Slater. But that was all about to change.

Ryan snapped out of his daydream when he noticed that the car that had been behind him passed him, then made a sharp cut right in front of him. He hit his brakes hard and managed to avoid a collision, but he was unable to get past the black sedan. There was another car exactly like it behind him. It came up right beside him, only to be replaced by another. He was trapped by a slow-moving caravan of cars with heavily-tinted windows. They moved forward for another mile or so before forcing Ryan to turn down a deserted road. Once they were out of sight of the main road, they stopped.

Ryan watched as four burly men emerged from the lead car and established a perimeter around the front of his car. Then the doors opened on the side car and four more hulking men climbed out. He glanced in his rearview mirror, but there was no movement from the car behind him. One of the men opened his door and waited. Ryan thought he looked familiar, but he couldn't remember where he'd seen the man before.

"Step out of the car, Mr. Lavery," the man said when Ryan didn't move. "Whoa ... wait a minute," Ryan began, raising his hands in front of him, "I don't know what's going on here, but it has to be a mistake. You've got the wrong guy." The man looked to the back of the car and waited for the driver of the third car to get out. As soon as he did, with a nod of confirmation, Ryan was hauled out of the car by his collar and thrown into the dry desert dirt. "No sir," the man said. "You are just who we're looking for."

While the eight men from the first two cars formed a circle around Ryan, two more men pushed through the crowd. These two Ryan definitely recognized. "Otto! Bruno! Man am I glad to see you two. These fellas here have me confused with somebody else. Help me straighten this out, would you?" Ryan said in a rush. His hope fizzled when he saw Otto take off his coat. Bruno did the same. "Look, guys," Ryan stammered. "What the hell is going on here? You're making a big mistake."

"Mistake?" Otto said as he stepped closer to Ryan. "You have a short memory, Mr. Lavery. Or are you not the man who forced his way into Mrs. Slater's room?" "Oh, that," Ryan said, rolling his eyes. "That was noth-" His words were cut short by a blow to the jaw. Then he was lifted off his feet by a blow to his stomach. "Wait!" he wheezed. "I was just trying to protect Kendall." He was hauled to his feet and then knocked back down again. And again. And again. He lost count of how many times.

"Keeping Mrs. Slater safe is our responsibility. And we only answer to Mr. Slater," Bruno said, barely winded. "Maybe if we weren't outside dealing with you, she wouldn't have gotten away. You just put her in more danger." The last thing Ryan remembered was both men standing in front of him while his arms were held behind him by somebody else. Two fists coming toward his face ... then blackness.

--------------------

Ryan awoke to the sound of vultures squawking overhead. He stumbled back to his car, checking to be sure nothing was broken. There was a lot of blood, but no broken bones. "Professionals," he muttered to himself as he reached for his cell. Tad had called twice and he wasn't too happy. Ryan steered his car back onto the main road as he called Tad back.

"Where the hell are you?" Tad shouted as soon as he answered the phone. "It's a long story," Ryan mumbled through swollen lips. "But I'll be there in five minutes." "Don't bother, we're not there anymore," Tad said angrily. "Did you think we could wait all day? While you did ... what? What, Ryan? What have you been doing that's more important than finding Zach and Kendall?" "Bleeding mostly," Ryan said. "Look, Tad, just tell me where you are now and I'll be there." Tad gave him directions then hung up in his face. "Amateurs," he muttered to Aidan as they resumed their stakeout of the warehouse.

Ryan made another call on his way to the warehouse. This one was short and one-sided. "I'm on my way to meet Tad and Aidan. I'll join you as soon as I take care of them."

-------------------------

Zach helped Kendall to her feet and pulled her into his arms. After several minutes of holding her close, trying to convince himself she was really okay, he held her away from him and looked into her eyes. "You're okay? You're really okay? Why didn’t you stay at the hotel like I told you to?" he asked, his voice breaking as he pulled her to him again. She clung to him as the tears flowed down her face. He continued to ask if she was okay and she continued to nod, but neither of them was really aware of it. They were both too emotional to really think rationally, or to be aware of the danger that still lurked.

Zach looked over the edge of the balcony and saw his father's lifeless body splayed out over the bushes below. He tried to shield Kendall's eyes, but she wouldn't allow it. "Is he really dead?" she asked in a voice raw from both crying and screaming. "He's dead," Zach said. His voice was calm, but the heavy rising and falling of his chest gave him away. He was still so filled with rage and fear, waiting for reality to sink in. "May he rot in hell," he added as he took Kendall's hand and led her away from the balcony's edge.

Ryan was two blocks from the warehouse when he saw the flashing blue lights in his rearview mirror. "Dammit!" he said as he pounded on the steering wheel. "What now?" He pulled over and waited for the policeman to come to his window. Then he lowered the window and flashed his most sincere smile. "Excuse me, officer," he said as he pulled off his sunglasses. "What did I do wrong?"

"Step out of the car, sir," the officer said. That was the second time today Ryan had been instructed to do that, and the last time had ended badly. He held up his hands and got out of the car, grimacing in pain as his body reminded him how badly. "License," the man ordered briskly. Ryan reached back into the car to retrieve his wallet from his coat pocket when the cop grabbed him from behind and shoved him against the car. "No sudden movements now son," the man said. After frisking Ryan and putting him in handcuffs, he retrieved the wallet for himself.

"Exactly why am I being detained, officer?" Ryan asked, still managing to sound casual and unconcerned. His mind was racing. He had to get away from this guy so he could take care of business. He had places to be and people he didn't want to keep waiting. He tried to ignore the pain he was in and concentrate on staying calm. "Speeding? Busted taillight? Did I run a stop sign?" The officer glared at Ryan for a long time, obviously noticing his bruised face and dusty, bloody clothes. But he also knew the torn clothing was expensive. So it just didn't add up.

"The car was reported stolen," the man said at last. "Care to tell me what happened to your face?" Ryan jumped from the hood of the car. "Stolen? Are you out of your mind. It's a damn rental car!" The policeman held up his hand to silence Ryan and waited for him to resume his place on the car. "Don't get loud, son," he said. "Now about your face?" Ryan took a deep breath. "My face? What difference does that make? I got into a scuffle and lost. It doesn't matter. What matters is this bogus stolen car charge. If you'll just let me make a phone call ..." Again Ryan lunged at the policeman. He wasn't trying to threaten him, but he just couldn't control his anger. So the police officer offered his assistance. Ryan was led to the squad car and driven to the police station. "I'd keep my back to the wall, son, once the lights go out," the officer laughed as he showed Ryan his accommodations for the night, courtesy of the State of Nevada.

TBC

Banner by Sharon
ninekaronas

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Part 2

The Slaters were tired, but happy. The sat together on a bench just outside the balcony doors and tried to take it all in. They were both beginning to calm down, finally realizing that Alexander was dead and couldn't hurt them anymore. Zach knew there were people to call and things to take care of, but all he cared about at the moment was Kendall. She was safe, and his father hadn't hurt her. His relief was crushing. He couldn't stop touching her. He
ran his hand up and down her arm as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I knew you'd come, Zach," she said at last. "I could feel your strength, your determination. Your love. I knew your father was no match for that. He couldn't destroy what we have." She looked into his eyes and sighed into his mouth as his lips touched hers. They tasted each other's tears. Tears of anguish mixed with tears of joy. "I was so scared, Kendall," Zach said moments later. "What if he'd ..." he began, but couldn't finish. Tears welled up in his eyes again, but Kendall didn't mind. She saw that the haunted look was gone. He was no longer tortured by what he couldn't remember. And he no longer believed he had killed his mother.

"Don't waste a precious second on 'what if', Zach," she said, gently stroking his face. "It's over. He didn't hurt me because you wouldn't allow it. You saved me, Zach. That's all that matters." She kissed him again, soft and gentle, and laid her head back on his shoulder. "You saved me, too, Kendall. You gave me a reason to fight," he said, his voice a hoarse whisper. "Thank you." Kendall placed her hand over his heart. "You're welcome," she said softly.

"Thanks man," Ryan said as he slapped Tad on the back. "You wouldn't believe the day I've had." Tad took in his appearance and shook his head. "I hate to tell you this, but it shows. Come on. You can tell us all about it on the way," he said. "We?" Ryan asked, stopping dead in his tracks. "Me, Aidan, JR and Jamie," Tad clarified. "They're waiting in the car. Hurry up, would you? We've lost enough time already," Tad said as the motioned Ryan out the door.

"Shove over," Ryan said as he opened the back door of Tad's rental car. JR just glared at him and closed the door back. He walked around to the other side and found Jamie standing outside the car. "Get in," Jamie said. Ryan balked, so Jamie shoved him in and climbed in after him. Ryan couldn't believe his luck. This was not how the day was supposed to shake down. He had to get it back on track before it was too late.

"So where are we headed?" he asked no one in particular. JR grunted. Jamie rolled down his window and leaned his head out. Aidan kept driving like he hadn't heard the question. Tad took pity on him. "We've got a lead on old man Cambias. We're gonna check out an abandoned house on the outskirts of town, if we can find it," he said, turning in his seat to look at Ryan. "Your turn. What happened to you?" "It's a long story, man," Ryan said as he rested his head on the back of the seat. "We've got time," Tad said, looking over his sunglasses at Ryan.

"Well, let's see," Ryan began. "First I got ambushed by Slater's goon squad and left for dead. Then I was arrested for stealing my rental car. I guess that about sums it up. Not so long after all." Tad nodded and exchanged a look with Aidan. They rode on in silence, each trying to plan what would happen next.

Ryan awoke with a start and realized immediately that the car wasn't moving. He sat up and looked around. The other four men were standing outside the car looking at one of the tires. "Blowout," Tad said when Ryan stepped out of the car. Ryan scratched his head and tried to decide his best course of action. Wait, he decided. Let them get the tire fixed first.

While Aidan changed the tire, JR and Jamie argued and Tad refereed, while keeping a watchful eye on Ryan. "Load up boys," Aidan said as he put the flat in the trunk. JR and Jamie scrambled into the car like little boys, fighting over who would get the window. Tad climbed behind the wheel, but Ryan didn't move. "Sorry guys," he said as he pulled a gun from his pocket. "But I have to do this." He hit Tad in the temple with the butt of the gun, rendering him unconscious immediately. Then he turned the gun to JR and Jamie. Before he could take a shot, he was grabbed from behind by Aidan.

Ryan cursed himself for forgetting about Aidan even as he tried to get himself free of him. But Aidan's grip around his neck was unwavering. Ryan vaguely heard JR and Jamie screaming in the background just before he blacked out. Jamie wanted to shoot Ryan and JR wanted to run him over with the car. But instead they left him passed out on the side of the road, hidden behind some brush. "We'll send the police for him later," Aidan explained on their way to the abandoned house. "But first we have to find Zach and Kendall."

Ryan awoke dazed and disoriented, the sun beating down on him. He stumbled to his feet and tried to flag down a passing car. The driver honked and sped past him. He reached for his cell phone and found it was missing. "Damn thieves," he screamed. He had no idea what time it was, but he knew he was very late. And he knew Alex was going to be angry about it. He managed to flag down the next car that passed and begged the elderly woman for help. As soon as she unlocked her door to let him in, he pulled his gun, forced her out of the car and sped away. He had one thing over Tad and Aidan ... he knew exactly where he was going.

--------------------------

Zach stood to his feet, bringing Kendall with him. "Let's go home, honey," he said. "Home," Kendall said wistfully. "I never thought I'd miss Pine Valley - or Erica Kane - so much. Home sounds just perfect." She threaded her fingers through Zach's and let him lead her into the house. Her eyes filled with tears at the thought of holding Spike in her arms again. She staggered, but Zach was there. Strong and secure as always. He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her into his side, lending her his strength. When he saw the tears, he smiled. "I know," he said, "I miss Spike too. We'll see him soon."

"Actually, you'll never see him again. At least not if I have anything to say about it." Zach and Kendall looked up to see Ryan standing in front of them with a gun. "You don't," Zach growled as he tried to move past Ryan. "Don't do it, Zach. I mean it," Ryan said. Kendall gasped when she heard Ryan fire the gun. "Your one and only warning shot," he said. Zach turned to face Ryan, pushing Kendall behind his back. "What are you doing, Lavery?" he asked coolly. "What do you want?"

"What do I want?" Ryan said incredulously. "I want what is mine. I want what Alex promised me if I helped him get rid of you. I will become you, Zach. I'll have everything you have. You're wife. You're home. You're inheritance. Hell, I might even wear a few of your suits." Zach actually laughed, infuriating Ryan. "Go ahead, Slater. Laugh it up. But you can't change it. You can't stop me." Zach laughed again, only this time the smile never reached his eyes. "I've already stopped you. Why don't you go outside and take a look at your precious mentor. See what the great Alexander Cambias Sr. has been reduced to. Worm food," Zach said. "Kendall and I are leaving."

Ryan ran at Zach, intending to hit him with the butt of the gun, but Zach was too quick for him. He dodged Ryan's blow and grabbed his wrist, forcing him to drop the gun. It clattered to the ground loudly as Ryan tried to free himself from Zach. "You broke my wrist," he squealed. "It's a start," Zach said. The two men fought violently while Kendall tried to get to the gun. She managed to get in a few kicks to Ryan's torso, but was ordered to stay back by her husband when Ryan tried to grab her.

The fight went outside when Zach grabbed Ryan and held him over the balcony, forcing him to look at the man he had dedicated his future to. "Do you see that, Lavery? He's dead and I'm alive. He can't help you now. He can't give you what he promised. You put your money on the wrong horse." "Then I'll just have to take it," Ryan said as he broke away from Zach and reached for the knife in his shoe. "I don't need an old man to give me anything. It's mine, Zach. Kendall, Spike, Cambias ... all mine."

Ryan lunged at Zach, who was trapped against the balcony and had nowhere to go. His arm was poised in midair when the shot rang out. Zach watched as the bullet tore through Ryan's head in slow motion, spraying blood everywhere. Ryan fell in a heap at his feet, dead on impact. Zach looked up to see Kendall standing in the doorway, smoking gun in hand. He expected to see shock, but he didn't. She was scared and upset, but completely lucid.

"I had to do it, Zach," she said as she ran into his outstretched arms. "I couldn't let him hurt you - hurt us - anymore." She felt Zach's arms enveloping her and collapsed against him. "Oh God, Zach," she said, "he could have ... what if-" Zach placed a finger over her lips before she could finish. "Don't waste a second on 'what if,' remember? You did what you had to do, Kendall. We're both here and we're okay. That's all that matters. Now let's go home and see our son," he said.

The Slaters were walking out the front door of the house when Tad, Aidan, JR and Jamie pulled into the driveway. "What took you so long?" Zach said. "Well, we passed a Bob's Big Boy and I suddenly felt like a cheeseburger," Tad said dryly. "Forget him, Tad," JR yelled from behind him. "He shouldn't even be alive after what he's done. He should be buried somewhere like my mother and Babe." "Shut up, JR," Kendall screamed. "As usual, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Zach didn't kill anybody. He's not responsible for this."

"It's okay," Zach said softly as he squeezed Kendall's hand. "It doesn't matter." "It matters to me, Zach," Kendall said. But JR couldn't leave it alone. "You're one to talk, Kendall," he yelled. "Married to one criminal, sharing a baby with another one. Both men from psycho families. Looks to me like you're the one who doesn't know what's what. Maybe your next husband will be a serial killer. Oh, wait. Been there, done that," he said smugly. "I feel sorry for that poor son of yours. He doesn't have a chance."

Zach was on JR before he could blink. He punched him in the stomach, causing him to double over. Then he caught him under the chin with a blow so hard it lifted him off the ground. He landed in a pile at Tad's feet. "Are we gonna have a problem now?" Zach asked, rubbing his knuckles. "Nope," Tad said. "No problem at all."

Zach held out his hand to Kendall and waited for her to join him. Then they walked arm in arm down the driveway, oblivious to all the sirens in the distance. All they knew - all they cared about - was that they were going home.

THE END

Banner by Sharon
Granny

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Now wouldn't that be lovely?!  Hello 9K!

Thanks for the fantasy!  It could be worked into the real series.    Ryan could have possible known all along - na.  But I do like the ending.  Bye, bye Ryan! 

Once again, you have given us laughter and tears.  You are the best. 

Granny 

Thanks, Sharon, for putting Zach and Kendall in my backyard. Thanks, Karen, for attaching this to my posts.
idonthave1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 

OMG Karen,

I’m speechless ………ahh….thank you so much for giving us this story.

I’m going to have a celebration ....cheers

Thank you again,

Bonnie

Reply with quote  #5 

Amazing! Why are you not writing for AMC? Thanks, that was awesome!

Ann

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Karen......I love it!!!!!

Now if only we could get rid of him for real.....

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Karen I lurve you...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and your mascara runs!

Banner by Fil
Ande

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

Thank you - I love this !!!

Ande
Usagiharuka

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 

wonderful story

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.