Message Board

Main Section

Author   Comment  
jam

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Well, it ain't China, but we are heading there for a soccer tournament this weekend.

Just wondering what it is like.  Not that I'll have time to do anything but watch my daughter play soccer.  Which I LOVE!!

I'm sure we'll squeeze in a little partying too!!

June

Kathy

Moderator/
Administrator

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to MD! I don't live in Columbia but it's relatively nearby.Some family used to live there so I've been there many times. It's too suburban and sprawling for me to think of anything distinctive to mention. It has a big shopping mall,  LOL. Also it's very near Ellicott City, the historic downtown area of which is quite scenic and worth a visit if you have time, IMO.

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
^^^Thanks for the info Kathy!!  It seems our games are pretty early tomorrow so maybe we will have time to take a trip to Ellicott City.

As for the mall??  Lets keep that between us.  If Angela finds out . . . I'll be backrupt!!

June

jam

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Hey Kathy!! 

Gotta tell ya . . . I felt like I entered the freakin Twilight Zone this weekend.  The Columbia area was really nice and the soccer fields were beatiful.  HOWEVER, the area we stayed in??  Holy crap!!  I don't think there was a brain cell or a dentist anywhere near here!!

And to make matters worse, I really think there was a hooker convention taking place and staying at OUR hotel!!  I've never seen anything like this in my life.  And here is my 14 year old daughter with her mouth hanging open at some of the things she saw.  At least I was able to SHOW her how she would NEVER dress!!

I was so pissed!!  How could a hotel put a soccer team and whatever hell these ladies were in the same place???

And stupid???  There wasn't one questioned that was asked that we didn't get the "deer in the headlights" look.  Our toilet broke and they were going to just switch our room because they just didn't know how to fix it.  I told them . . . well, figure it out . . . cuz I ain't moving.

They wouldn't allow the parents to drink a beer in the lobby because they didn't have a liquor license.  I had to explain to them that we could drink a beer, but they couldn't sell it to us.  Every single hotel we've ever stayed in . . . we all meet in the lobby and have a few drinks.  Well, not in the Twilight Zone hotel!!  LOL!!

They couldn't even give us directions to the resturants 2 miles from the hotel.

It was an experience, but from now on . . . I am taking over the hotel reservation job!!

June

searose

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
June, sorry to read about your hotel from hell!  I can't imagine having to handle that with a 14 year old daughter around.

On the liquor issue, there are various types of liquor licenses.  A full license can allow an establishment to sell and serve alcohol.  A "BYOB" sort of license can allow them, just like at BYOB restaurants, to let customers consume on their premises, as long as they are not the ones selling to the customers.  But no license means no one can drink (even if they brought their own) in public areas of the business.  So, the other hotel lobbies you refer to may at least have the BYOB license, which this hell hole doesn't.  Most hotels do, as it is a good selling point for rooms.  It is pretty stupid that management would let their hotel look like a hooker convention, yet have no liquor license!

jam

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
^^^Searose, that was the funniest part.  It wasn't like this was some kind of first rate hotel!!  LOL!!  Actually, we got quite a few laughs out of it all.  The fathers we were with kept wanting to come up to our floor and I had to keep reminding them that they were probably old enough to be their fathers!!

It just shocked me that these women thought they looked good.  Some of them were quite large and the clothes they wore were 2 sizes to small.  It was pretty comical and even our girls were getting a kick out of it.  It was like some kind of side show or something.

The only saving grace for me is that at least the hotel was clean.  I would NOT have been able to handle it if it wasn't.

And to make matters even worse, our team did not do well in the tournament!!!!

June

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.